Fiio X5 3rd generation.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Groovy, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Groovy...sorry having problems attaching quotes.

Answers: PC
    I'm using two programs from NCH (not freeware...but affordable)
    -Express Rip CD Ripper...rips CDs to WAV, Flac, Mp3 etc
    -Switch Plus...converts existing files on your hard drive to which ever format you prefer...in my case i convert WAV to Flac.
    I'm pretty sure there is freeware out there that will do the same processes..but i can't be bothered to look or be annoyed by pop up ads that come with freeware.
    NCH offers a free trial..so you can check them out.
    Both those programs fulfill my needs.
    I don't create playlists or get into any fancy tagging...at least not for now.
    FiiO and HeadFi..both have forums that supply good info etc.

Groovy likes this.
  2. mrwolk

Groovy likes this.
  3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

I'm in the market for a Pono replacement. Had the old (first gen) X3, and this new one looks good but I'm not sure I can live with the headphone socket being on the underneath of the player!

4. mrwolk

I'd rather the outputs were on the top as well...

5. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mmmm, red. Glad I waited for more reviews before buying the black.

[​IMG]

SirMarc, JeffMo, oneway23 and 2 others like this.
  6. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I went for the Titanium one but the red does look nice

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Are you guys putting 2 - 256gb microSDs in these?

Is everything accessible or do you have to switch back and forth from one SD card to the other?

How are playlists with this model? I have the Fiio X1 and they are nearly impossible.

Can you use itunes playlists or utilize the m3U files from iTunes export/save option?

8. mrwolk

I would have bought the red..but i don't think it's available in North America yet?
    Have had my X5 III for about 3 weeks now..and am enjoying the device..much better than my iPods....also like that i can download updates OTA.
    So far i am limiting myself to 64gb cards....have about 4 of them as well as a few 32gb cards...each one assigned to different genres of music...i.e. classical, jazz, rock etc.

D-rock. .you don't have to switch back and forth from one SD card to the other...the complete playlist will be displayed in alphabetical order...you can also check out the content of each individual cards if you want. I haven't looked into migrating content from my iTunes account..so i can't answer your question.
    The majority of my content are freshly ripped CDs to Flac...and have converted my inventory of WAV files to Flac..which are quickly filling up my SD cards.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I guess I'm a bit confused on the album art issue. I had considered an X5-1 back in 2014 but passed when it didn't do album art from a JPG file located within each album's folder, at least it did not not at that time. Perhaps this issue was addressed / supported / fixed.

So, a couple questions re: x5-3 and JPG files...

• Does the X5-3 scan and use files named "cover.jpg" when located in the album's folder alongside the FLAC files?
    • If so, is the issue that is being reported with incomplete scans related to this exact scenario?
    BTW, longtime MAC user (25+ years!) who refuses to use iTunes for anything but streaming talk radio. Apple should support FLAC. I too have an iPod (gen 5 video) that is jailbreaked to RockBox. I use it primarily in the car, but I know it's days are numbered and would like a modern replacment, hence interest in the X5-3.

Furthermore, I converted a large collection of cd's to FLAC via XLD and secure mode. This took 2-3 years at my leisure. Using secure mode took longer but produced FLAC files that are bit perfect rips of my cd's. At the time, after researching the best way to secure rip, several sites / blogs / forums suggested not embedding the album art. I did not. So it perplexes me that FIIO is intimating that only the Chinese do it this way. Strange. I don't know anybody else who is embedding art in their FLAC files. Granted, this is only out of a handful of audio-loving friends, associates and forumites.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  10. Groovy

D-rock likes this.
  11. Groovy

Aura, what program are you using on your Mac instead of iTunes, or are you just using the X5 as an external drive for your music?

12. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I wonder if Beach Camera, who is the third-party selling via Amazon, actually has the red model in-stock and ready to ship, or if they are simply taking orders to ship later?
    I only mention it because places like B&H Photo are still listing it for pre-order, with no arrival date listed.

13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The incomplete scans, above 10,000 songs I believe, were caused by embedding the photos rather than your method of a single file in the album folder. They are saying the Chinese market uses your method and so the issue did not pop up during the initial roll out; they plan to fix it so that both methods work but currently yours is the best method. I only know this from following this headfi thread Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot - Page 383

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Aura likes this.
  14. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation. I may give the X5-3 a shot. I was originally thinking of a Pono to replace the iPod, but there have been too many reports of battery issues and clunky UI.

15. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I don't really use my Mac as a 'source' per se. All my music (FLAC) resides on a Mac Pro running Logitech Media Server for music and Plex for video. This allows me to serve music and video to multiple devices. I can stream up to high resolution 24/192 (and even DSD if I choose) over a MOCA network to my music room, or to the TV, or wirelessly to a phone, etc.

I use and highly receommend XLD for ripping and transcoding and occassionally to play an album locally on the Mac. XLD even supports SACD ISO, DSD and DSD transcoding to PCM/FLAC.

Groovy likes this.
  16. Steve Douglas

I've now warmed to the idea of having the headphones socket underneath the player, and think I'll bite on one of these. I've just recently got my first android phone and really like it, so this being android also makes it more attractive to me. I'm assuming the same apps should work on both, for example Qobuz and Onkyo Music?

17. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Verify the Android Version in the FIIO, then you could check the GooglePlay store to see if the Apps are compatible.
    Assuming is bad.

Steve Douglas likes this.
  18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have an X5ii and a Pono, and I would add, just in case you plan to use balanced armature IEMs, that it might make the decision for you as IMO the Pono doesn't play too nice with those given the relatively high output impedance.

19. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

The current Android version on the Fiio X5 Gen. 3 is Android 5.1.1. I would not ever expect an update to 6.0, as Rockchip, the maker of the quad-core chip which powers the system, has said that the chip used in the device cannot handle Android Marshmallow. To Fiio's credit, they have been trying to get further word on this, at least according to them.

There's more on this in the head-fi thread, but it's currently 400 pages, and I'm not rifling through that for a source quote.

Edit: I just wanted to add, to Fiio's credit, they have been updating customers every step of the way, responding to individual complaints/feature requests/bug reports, etc., in that head-fi thread.

They are also releasing FW updates at an absolutely blistering pace, fixing bugs seemingly as quickly as their software team can hear about them. Fantastic customer service out of the gate so far on this one!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Groovy, KDubATX and Steve Douglas like this.
  20. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

I just drop the money for the black X5 3rd gen via Amazon. It said I should get it by Mar 30th. I just need a pure DAP with the added benefits. My older iBasso DX50 headphone jack is acting up. Hopefully it should be more than enough to drive my Grados. I was debating CD transport, and I decided it would be a lot easier just run a DAP setup.

21. Groovy

What I would really like to know before buying the 3rd Gen' is if it's easy to create playlists on or with.

I currently use an iPod classic with iTunes on my Mac desktop. I know it will be different using a Fiio but will happily put the time in if I know in advance that there's a way to easily have playlists on it.

I've asked this before in a dedicated thread on the subject but nobody has been able or had the time to give an answer.

So, if I use a different music software program on my Mac what would it be? Logitech Media Server has been mentioned but can I play music on my Mac with it and also migrate playlists to a Fiio?

Or, do I move a bunch of music to the Fiio and then create playlists on the device - and, if so, is creating them easy? And do I use the Fiio as my music player while connected to the Mac instead of a software program?

D-rock likes this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I gather most people create the m3u files then change the drive in a text editor. I don't know squat about it personally but I think people use iTunes and mediamonkey for example. Here is a post to the correct path for example but my guess is you'll know more about it than I will. Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot - Page 341 If the xiii is anything like the xii I can't see making lists on the player itself beyond adding a song you are listening to each time you run across one you want to add, which it does do.

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Can this run any Android apps for streaming music?

24. Steve Douglas

See post #67 above.

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  25. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I ordered my X5 3rd gen yesterday and will be receiving it in a few days. I might be able to answer a few unanswered questions in this thread. Will keep you posted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.