Film Noir on BluRay suggestions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thxdave, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Raid! ;) The one I got was the U.K. edition. I don't think it looks radically different than the HD-DVD. The Blu-ray sounds better to me.

darkmass likes this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just watched this - sadly only on DVD with some seriously jumpy edits - FRIDAY NIGHT BOYS: Noir of the Week #6* - Nightfall (Jacques Tourneur, 1957)
    It's a great late period noir that cuts between city and the wideopen spaces of Wyoming; the two crooks come across as proto-Tarantino hit men; the contrast between the thuggish Red and the quiet John making them even more threatening. It's a Jacques Tourneur film and the cinematography and use of light is often stunning. I'd love to see a good copy!

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Barnes & Noble is having its semi-annual Criterion Collection 50% off sale right now.

I picked up a copy of The Asphalt Jungle on Blu-ray for $19.99, and there are other Noir bargains to be found.

4. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Classic Preminger

[​IMG]

fr in sc and smilin ed like this.
  5. I'll add a personal favorite on blu ray that hasn't been mentioned yet - Road House (1948) dir. Jean Negulesco starring R. Widmark and Ida Lupino - great drive-in/popcorn movie that holds up to multiple viewings :)

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Quai des Orfevres (Cluzot, 1947)

7. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

The relatively unknown "Une Si Jolie Petite Plage" (1949) was released in France on Blu.

Miriam likes this.
  8. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

People shouldn't forget titles like Too Late For Tears (essential Dan Duryea!), Night and the City, The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key. All have received very high quality Blu-ray releases.

Simon A and Dave Garrett like this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Definitely. I finally picked up the Flicker Alley's comprehensive releases of TOO LATE FOR TEARS and WOMAN ON THE RUN during a recent sale, but Arrow also offers nice discs of both films as well for those who are not Region A-capable.

I have been waiting for Arrow's upcoming sale to pull the trigger on their Blu-rays of THE BLUE DAHLIA and THE GLASS KEY, and am looking forward to revisiting those two classics.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Along with Widmark and Ryan, Duryea is one of the Great Bar Stewards of Noir.

Simon A and fr in sc like this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Looks good. I've been watching some French noir recently - Rififi, Quai des orfevres, Le jour se lève, Le Quai des brumes and Tirez sur le pianiste

zonkaraz likes this.
  12. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

Those are all good films!

13. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

George Pelecanos - The Outfit

The writer of the Wire George Pelecanos discusses some of his favourite films above which is well worth a read for those interested in Noir and other interesting films.

Miriam likes this.
  14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Putting those public domain releases to shame:

T-Men:
    [​IMG]

Raw Deal:
    [​IMG]

Jazzmonkie, fr in sc and Simon A like this.
  15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Coming in two weeks. One great 1970s Chandler adaptation (Farewell, My Lovely) coupled with, uh, one *other* 1970s Chandler adaptation (The Big Sleep):

[​IMG]

16. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

For modern film noir, try these 3 excellent choices that have already been mentioned.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Karnak likes this.
  17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Oh, yeah, all of those noir blu-rays that have been released by ClassicFlix are outstanding. They can be a little pricey, but with patience some decent deals can be had. HE WALKED BY NIGHT is also a must-have:

[​IMG]

fr in sc likes this.
  18. Upcoming from ClassicFlix next month.

[​IMG]

Mr Sam likes this.
  19. Marked Woman by Lloyd Bacon, with Bette Davis and Bogie (1937), is fantastic!

And so is J. Lee Thompson's Cape Fear, starring Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum.

20. Mr Sam

I recently pickedup this region-free edition of the 2 versions

[​IMG]

Cape Fear - Double Feature Blu-ray

21. Mr Sam

Looks like a must-have. I don't know if the Classic Flix BRs are strictly region-A though.

22. I think it is Region A only.

23. arley

arley Forum Resident

Body Heat is good and sultry, but it's basically a remake of Double Indemnity.

[​IMG]

If your main exposure to Fred MacMurray is the Flubber movies from Disney and the genial dad in My Three Sons, get ready for a somewhat different character. James M. Cain (The Postman Always Rings Twice) wrote the serialized novel on which the screenplay is based, and Raymond Chandler co-wrote the screenplay with Cain. (Yes, Billy Wilder is listed as a co-writer, but directors often demanded that credit, almost as a droit de seigneur on their films, irrespective of their actual contribution.) At any rate, you can't get much better noir credentials than Chandler and Cain.

Chris Malone and Spitfire like this.
  24. Whurly

Whurly Well-Known Member

Two other 'big' films that haven't been mentioned:

The Big Clock (1948)
    The Big Combo (1955)

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  25. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Fargo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.