Films that should be on DVD but aren't

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ashleyfan, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Your wish is granted! Popeye on DVD is due out this very week! Not sure about any extras, though...

2. Fastworker

Fastworker New Member

John Frankenheimer's 1966 'GRAND PRIX' with James Garner and Yves Montand - still the best racing movie ever made, made on location using the great race tracks of Europe. A restored wide-screen VHS version was made available a few years ago, so it shouldn't be that much work to bring it to DVD. Every race fan who saw this in the theatre at an imprressionable age would buy it.....

3. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Missing in action on DVD...

HELP (as a single disc)
    RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (Peckinpah brilliance)
    SONG OF THE SOUTH (Unjustly maligned Disney classic?)
    AGE OF CONSENT (Michael Powell's astonishing last film)
    BLOW UP (!)
    WHITE HEAT (many other Cagney titles)
    THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST (!!)
    TWISTER (The Crispian Glover film, NOT the tornado flick with Helen Hunt)
    MOTHER, JUGS & SPEED (Bill Cosby's best film perforance bar none)
    IT'S A GIFT (!!!)
    SECONDS (Rock Hudson's best film performance?)
    GIRL ON A MOTORCYCLE (killer 60s Eurotrash w/ YOUNG Marianne Faithful)
    CHARLIE CHAN IN EGYPT (!!!!)

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Re: Missing in action on DVD...

It was, but it needs to be re-released

My favorite Peckinpah. :thumbsup:
    It's out from Anchor Bay. You can find it for <US$10 if you look:
    [​IMG]

Regards,

5. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Re: Re: Missing in action on DVD...

Thanks for the tip!
    I'm ordering it today...

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I'd like to see classic cartoons from the first half of the 20th century from clean prints. Most of the meager selections are from many-generation prints.

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It's in the works, as confirmed in recent interviews with Paul and Ringo. Late 2004 was the last date mentioned, before the recovery of the mono audio tracks in the Netherlands. It seems that the film footage was cleaned up some time ago, if not just the segments used in the Anthology. The rooftop concert may (no official word) be in 5.1 surround. Accompanying the dvd, probably as a separate release, will be the un-Spectorized version of the album, then called "Get Back". According to Ringo, it's done and sounds "fabulous".
    Now they should re-do the awful fake-stereo on "A Hard Day's Night".

8. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Does anyone recall a series on MTV (for about three weeks) in the late 90s called "Super Adventure Team"? It was a wicked satire of Supermarination, which was probably bewildering to anyone under about 40.

9. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

The Grey Fox - a classy little gem.

I Love You To Death- ("You know - the GUY")

10. Pepzhez

Pepzhez New Member

Godard's 'Histoire(s) du cinéma' - it's unbelievable that this set hasn't been released in N. America in any form whatsoever. And no DVD anywhere!

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The DVDs of McLintock! that are available come from nth-generation prints. Although this John Wayne movie from 1963 is in the public domain, the estate still has the master print of the film. I bought the Delta DVD of this film in the Wal-Mart $5.88 bin and the picture quality isn't that good at all, but for the most part isn't that bad either but it does have a few glitches. According to AMG, the picture quality is better than other releases of this film.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Casper finally comes out on DVD this September.

also: someone earlier mentioned that he would like to see "Seconds" on DVD (the Rock Hudson movie). I know it must be already on DVD because I rented it from Netflix last year.

[​IMG]

13. Matt

Matt New Member

Berlin Alexanderplatz - apparently out of print. The old video sets don't look so hot.

14. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Here's a few odd ones on my wish list:

All of the 1940s Warner Brothers cartoons....
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    Sometimes a Great Notion
    The Magnificent Ambersons
    White Heat
    The House by the River
    The Conformist

Ed Wood has recently become available in Australia, in a special edition with various extras including audio commentary by Tim Burton, Martin Landau and a bunch of other people.

ALso, One Million Years BC is slated for release in Australia, but has been delayed, I believe.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Really? I have seen annoncements for the various DTV sequels this September, but nothing about the theatrical film.

Regards,

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Delicatessen

It's from the same director as Amelie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet. It's a great, Terry Gilliam type movie. Fantastic sense of humor.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Aha! I finally saw the announcement. Universal is releasing it on 9/23. On the same day, they are also finally releasing "Babe" in 16:9 enhanced widescreen. My kids will enjoy those titles.

Regards,

18. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, depending on how you look at things, that's really not The Beatles fault.

It isn't, in that they had nothing to do with the 5.1 mixes used for the DVD.

On the other hand, I suppose it IS, because since Apple has no financial interest in A Hard Day's Night, they refused to let the DVD producers have the multi-track tapes that would have been necessary to put together a proper 5.1 mix. In other words, if The Beatles don't own it, they refuse to participate.

That doesn't excuse the DVD producers for not having the sense to just stick with the mono, however...
    :realmad:

19. Ken_McAlinden

Even if they had the multi-tracks, they would have had to re-record sound effects since they did not have a complete isolated effects track to work with. Mono was really the best and easiest way to go, and they choose to put a lot of effort into making it worse.

Regards,

20. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

Along with the aforementioned "Ed Wood", "The Hunger" with Susan Sarandon and David Bowie.

21. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

"in cold blood"--i thought for sure when robert blake got busted a couple of years ago columbia would have released this incredible movie. then again when DP conrad hall died earlier this year.

"the boston strangler"--this aired widescreen last year on AMC before they went way down hill. it needs a proper release on home video.

"the times of harvey milk"--winner of the best documentary oscar in 1984.

that's all i can think of for now.

later, chris

22. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Heartbeeps (1981)
    The Heavenly Kid (1985)
    Hot Chili (1985)
    Hot Moves (1985)
    Hot Resort (1985)
    I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978)
    King of the Hill (1993)
    Mischief (1985)
    The Monster Squad (1987)
    Moving Violations (1985)
    Night of the Creeps (1986)
    Private Resort (1985)
    Racing With the Moon (1984)
    Scavenger Hunt (1979)
    School Spirit (1985)
    Screen Test (1985)
    Screwballs (1983)
    Six Pack (1982)
    Six Weeks (1982)
    Student Bodies (1981)
    Summer School (1987)
    Terror Train (1980)
    Up the Creek (1984)
    Young Doctors in Love (1982)

23. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I second the motions for both Delicatessen & Wild at Heart. Delicatessen is available overseas, so hopefully a US version is in the works. Sign o' the Times would also be a real treat. I'd also love to see Prince to a Dick's Picks type of thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.