Films where the female protagonist chooses the jerk over the decent man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Watched The Apartment (with Jack Lemmon) for the first time last night. I was actually expecting a comedy and it was anything but, although it did have a few humorous moments. Good film but it got me thinking after seeing the predictable Hollywood ending. Are there any films which are more true to life, where the female protagonist chooses the jerk over the decent man? You know, like in the real world. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is The Pad (And How to Use It). Any others?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
    Grant likes this.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Hard to list movies that meet the OP's criteria without spoiling the ending!

Many Woody Allen films have the "real life" element that the OP is looking for, including one of his best:

Crimes and Misdemeanors.

One thing I love about Woody's films is that when you watch them again, you can see how the "decent man" is a jerk too, and that contributes to him losing the girl. Real life that the world is not separated into good guys and bad guys, but people, relationships and choices are complex.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Pretty in Pink?

Pete Puma, MDW, Ethan B and 8 others like this.
  4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Decent men have no money, they are suicidal and nervous wrecks... The same with decent women. Jerks chooses jerks. I think that the more airheaded you are, the more you will thrive in this world. People who think and feel too much, go down the drain. They are struggling to adapt. But they can be interesting people to talk to. Films? Is that what we are talking about... :oops:

5. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Sounds like someone made a movie of my dating life ...

6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'm sorry, what movie are you speaking of in the OP that you just watched last night? I'm not seeing the name of it in the post.

I'd say Pretty in Pink is the best example offered so far. The original ending actually had Molly Ringwald ending up with her sweet friend Duckie, but test audiences wanted her to get together with the preppy rich boy played by Andrew McCarthy so they reshot the ending. He wasn't a total jerk, but he wasn't really a great guy either.

Vidiot and Ethan B like this.
  7. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had The Apartment starring Jack Lemmon as the thread title and someone changed it.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think Duckie and Blane both had elements of good guy AND jerk. But I do think that most people identified more with the Duckie character, which makes it extra weird that the test audiences preferred the reshot ending.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Purple Rose of Cairo is an interesting twist on this theme too :angel:

mrjinks likes this.
  10. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The Last American Virgin

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

This is a tough one. There are many movies with a love triangle, but having trouble with the female ending up with the jerk.

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Fast Times At Ridgemont High

[​IMG]

hellion, MDW, driverdrummer and 6 others like this.
  13. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

X-Men
    Jean Grey is with Cyclops rather than Logan. Cyclops was a bigger jerk than Logan in the first film.

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Stacey ends up with Rat in the end though, even if they still haven't gone All The Way...

15. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Bernadette Peters got "The Jerk" in the end, but he was the good guy! Okay, just jerking your chain.

16. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Dumb And Dumber :D

17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The Graduate.

:D

groundharp, Keith V and eric777 like this.
  18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Diner

RayS likes this.
  19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not sure I agree that "I Love You" --> "Shut up and Deal" constitutes "the predictable Hollywood ending".

Karnak, Bender Rodriguez and TheVU like this.
  20. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Blonde Venus (1932)

Marlene Dietrich chooses Herbert Marshall (and their son) over Cary Grant.

Lightworker likes this.
  21. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Stranger Things. Nancy stuck with the jerk!

Also, I don't think that the Apartment is a typical comedy. She also waited till like the third act to really notice him as a romantic interest. The whole movie she wanted Mr.Sheldrake

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, I totally didn't expect what started out as another Porky's wannabe to turn so dark (and honest.)

kevywevy likes this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In "Demons", written by this guy over to the left, darn near ALL of the female characters fall for the jerk (the same jerk) over the good guys. Doesn't matter that he's married, or they're married, or they're engaged, or ...

[​IMG]

This good-looking guy right here (kind of got a David Cassidy thing going on, doesn't he?)

Not to give away any spoilers. but these romances generally doesn't work out so well. :)

24. Broadcast news

Alert likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Both guys were kind of jerks. I empathize more with Albert Brooks' character, but by current standards what William Hurt's character did was no big thing. Single camera and shot his reaction afterwards? OK.

guy incognito likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.