Films you couldn't bear to finish watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

I watch a lot of films and like to say I'll watch anything once 'cause what's a couple of hours in the grand scheme of things ... but these two I just couldn't get through. I know many people like them but I just couldn't make it!!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Jackson likes this.
  2. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I can't remember if I sat through the film version of "Mamma Mia". I remember what I saw was so mind-numbingly dreadful it scarred me for life.

3. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

My wife and I both tried to watch The Lone Ranger. I think we made it 45 minutes in. Maybe 15 and it felt like 45?

kevinsinnott and larryk like this.
  4. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Funny, I actually really like that film but then I do like slow paced films anyway. Loved the scene where Jesus and Mary Chain's Just like Honey kicked in (love that track).

5. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

As recent as yesterday, I couldn't finish off Lone Survivor. Knowing all were to die except one, the men falling over the cliffs when being chased; it just bothered me...couldn't watch any more.

6. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I couldn't get through "Natural Born Killers". I like the actors and director but the violence just turned me off (even though I know it was a commentary on violence).

chargrove, jdrueke and peter fuller like this.
  7. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Three colours: Blue. I was a big Juliette Binoche fan and went with a friend of mine, who was even a bigger fan of her's, to see the movie. We left after twenty minutes. It was all that, I still hate about "art films": A non story full of (pseudo) intellectual allusions and overlong boring dialogues filmed in the most unexciting way possible. A boring mess. Really.

8. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

A Clockwork Orange - ultraviolent.
    Melancholia - depressing.

9. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I think it's a great film with a brilliant cast! Woody Harrelson (I hope I spelled that one right...) is hilarious. But being a father now, I'm not so fond to see that much violence on film.

10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Reservoir Dogs. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a classic. I found it unbelievably self-conscious and tedious. I think I lasted perhaps 20 minutes with it.

chargrove likes this.
  11. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom. Do I have to explain why?

Al Kuenster, chargrove and Ghostworld like this.
  12. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

The only film I have ever walked out of was The Quick and the Dead (1995). It was just so boring, contrived and stupid that neither my wife nor I could sit to watch past the first 10 minutes or so. We wandered into another film at the same venue, Hideaway with Jeremy Sisto, Jeff Goldblum and Alicia Silverstone. At least it was a bit scary and bad enough to be entertaining. And they weren't wearing Sears ponchos.

At home, I have never been able to sit through Chariots of Fire for some reason, maybe it's the slow-mo, slow pace and Vangelis soundtrack that grates on my ears. And Fight Club just bothers me. The premise. It's too close to something horrific that could be real. It just creeps me out, the mindless violence. Having known some violent people it's a trigger for me and I can't watch. Other violent films aren't the same for some reason. Maybe it's the believable acting, Pitt and Norton are superb, but it gives me the shivers.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Cries and Whispers. Just too intense. I got all the way through it but never want to see it again.

14. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

The only movie I ever walked out of in my life was "Joe Versus the Volcano".

And I'll admit I never made it to the end of "Audition" either...

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I almost always watch the entire film, even if it sucks. However, two fairly recent movies that I simply bailed on are:

The Wolf Of Wall Street
    Don Jon

16. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Yeah Don Jon was pretty sucky and I wanted to like it. Had I not fallen asleep near the end it would have been one for my list of can't or didn't watch all of it. As I get older, I blank some of them out...must be a natural defense mechanism. Sometimes, looking through Netflix or HBO Go, my wife will say, "We SAW that, don't you remember?" Then I look at IMDB and remember it was terrible or I fell asleep, no loss.

jriems likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I finished The Time Traveller's Wife but I wished that I hadn't. :laugh:

I'm a big fan of medieval-themed movies so I was pumped to watch Ironclad on Netflix, but I had to turn it off after about 10 minutes. The combat scenes were just stupid. Every time a sword got put in, blood spurted out in a 5-foot arc.

old4mat likes this.
  18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Raising Arizona. Horrible, boring and stupid.

19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

A Clockwork Orange----now that's a masterpiece. I have watched that over and over as well as read the book. Yes, it is violent, but with a great message.

conjotter and Rufus McDufus like this.
  20. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

The Linguini Incident

Almost as bad as a similarly titled album from Guns N' Roses. I actually walked out on this movie about halfway through it, which I'd never done before or since, and I even got my money back! Think I made the right choice rather than be bored to death.

geogaddi83 likes this.
  21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

A lot of people walked out on movies I really liked in this thread. Guess that shows how different every persons viewpoint is.

The only film I walked out of the theater on was "Prospero's Books", I decided that watching the grass grow would be more entertaining.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Can't say I've ever walked out of a theater, maybe Eddie Murphy's Raw, but we accidentally went into that one to begin with. I certainly couldn't get all the way through The Cook, The Thief, et. al. I fast forwarded it to the cannibalism scene, cleaned the vomit out of the spindles and returned it to Blockbuster.

23. I wondered if anybody else would drag this one out. I bought it and had very high expectations. Put it in and pushed play. :yikes:

Painfully bad. Bad singing, bad acting, bad directing. Pushed stop about 20 minutes in and haven't bothered to try again.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Like, me, for example, who liked Prospero's Books so much I paid about $80 or so for the LaserDisc.

Not that I have anything aginst growing grass, you understand, but it DOES have much less nudity. That's a problem right there.

25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I was too busy trying to figure out how Frank made a film like that without the influence of drugs.

NUNZI likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.