Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Regarding pressing plant i don't think they had any choice whatsover. Record-company decides based on the prices they get. When they use the same plant for everything they get better prices. No music-fan is controlling this, it's just business.

Yeah maiden should have reviewed the test-pressings and mayby try fitting the records in the box :D

2. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

A band of Maiden's stature has the ability to choose where they press their records. They just don't care enough or were under time pressure to get these out by the label.

3. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Are you sure about that? I mean no doubt Maiden has something to say but i still think Warner Music Group would win the conversation.
    It's about the money. They can choose to do it really cheap with reduced price via the same deal as the record company supposely have. Or they can pay full price somewhere else.

Edit: They did the right thing and pressed the EU ones at Optimal. The design-flaws are Maidens faults not the plant.

4. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I very much doubt it because a band like Maiden have loads of people doing this stuff for them. Most likely management decide most things like this and the band barely involved at all.

5. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I don't have a vacuum. I usually do a quick wet clean using my 'home brew' and home method. Without getting into a new topic in too much depth, why do you feel the Spin Clean is such a necessity?

6. Mij Retrac

First these are through BMG in the states which is owned by Sony. Second every pressing plant has special deals for the major labels. It is a question of how much money everyone wants to make.

7. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Exactly my point. BMG probably has a deal with URP and Parlophone i know have a deal with Optimal.

8. Mij Retrac

So you don't think that if Maiden wanted to be fully involved in this project that their management would let them? I know for a fact that Jimmy Page came to Furnace the pressing plant pressing the Zeppelin records in the US to QC what they were doing. Maiden could if they want they choose not too.

808_state likes this.
  9. Mij Retrac

My point is every major pressing plant has deals in place for major labels so BMG can go to RTI or URP if they want. I know for a fact actually that Sony (the parent company of BMG) uses RTI for many of their high profile releases (Paul Simon, Aerosmith and Miles Davis to name a few). Those records actually cost very close to the same as the Maiden ones and are pressed much, much better.

10. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

To realese black vinyls were probably not Maidens idea to begin with. They changed record-company to Warner and they of course wanted to cash in.

You have a point there.

11. Mij Retrac

THEY ARE ON BMG IN THE STATES! BMG IS OWNED BY SONY!

12. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I know that

13. Mij Retrac

So why do you keep talking about Warner Bros when talking about US pressings? They have nothing to do with what happens with Maiden in the US.

14. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Well, they could be involved but we just don't know. Usually though when a band is as big as Maiden, most of these kind of decisions are made by their management and the band would usually just 'approve' things. Of course, there are exceptions.

15. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Well if you say so. I have a hard time believing they have nothing to do with it thou. These would not have been released in the US if it wasn't for the EU release. All we know is BMG made a poor choice regarding pressing-plant. :D

16. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

Probably because Amazon has them listed as a Warner product. I was a bit confused when I saw it.

17. Mij Retrac

Why would Warner Bros have anything to do with a BMG release? They may be responsible for getting these produced to begin with in Europe but that is where their involvement ends with the US pressings.
    The last statement is something we can both agree on.

18. Mij Retrac

I just looked at Killers on Amazon and Sanctuary is listed as the label. No Warner Bros listed anywhere. Where did you see Warner Bros listed on Amazon.com for these releases?

19. Dr. Metal MD

POM and PS in the mail today. Optimal pressings from Amazon UK. Packaged very well! Absolutely no damage to the LPs.

These LPs sound incredible. I cannot tell any significant difference between these and my US first pressings. In fact, these reissues may have better detail and certainly have less IGD. Heavy-weight black vinyl, dead quiet. Zero surface noise. I'm very much pleased with these. Artwork looks spectacular as well with the exception of some blurriness of the POM sleeve. However, sleeves overall are very sturdy and well-done. I HIGHLY recommend these two reissues. They will likely be my 'go-to' copies when I want to listen to these albums.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Dusan, 808_state and Mij Retrac like this.
  20. Mij Retrac

I have found it does a better job than any home method I have tried and it only costs $80.

Clanceman likes this.
  21. Mij Retrac

So I just tried putting 8 albums into my red box set box (all the released albums so far plus a second copy of Number of the Beast and a KISS record for the 8th) and a everything fit. It was a little tight but I had no problem fitting them into the box. I dont think it will be a problem fitting all these albums in the box.

22. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

Look up the box set on
    Amazon.ca

23. Mij Retrac

Canada is getting the EU pressings not the US ones

24. Dr. Metal MD

The problem for me is that I like to have an outer poly sleeve over the record. I also like to store the record outside of its sleeve between the stock sleeve and the outer poly sleeve. This takes up too much room to fit many in. Also, even if I did store the record in the stock sleeve, I wouldn't be able to fit all the records in the box with outer sleeves on.

25. Mij Retrac

Well no box is going to be designed to handle that situation that I have ever seen except the new Beatles Mono Box.

Robert C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.