Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am not home right now so I cannot comment on the covers, but the US version sounds veiled in comparison to the UK and the difference is NOT subtle. Ordering a UK pressing was one of the best things I did. Now I can give my US version to a good friend who literally thinks everything sounds awesome....Merry Christmas :)

Mij Retrac likes this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

4. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

A new album sounding more like Number Of The Beast would be great.

5. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

Possibly the worst thing you could say about a new album (from Maiden). And it's never gonna happen.

Purple likes this.
  6. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

They've been in the studio in Paris with Kevin Shirley for about a month or so. They actually just left Paris like last week so there's a good chance it's already mostly written and recorded.

Opeth and Deuce66 like this.
  7. Prophetzong

Number of the Beast was their best album. Followed by Piece of Mind. ( S/T, Killers, Powerslave were ok ) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was good. The rest not that good. IMHO.

8. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

TVC15,

I too seem to have a very good pressing. I consider the picture from last year to be a little noisy, not too much really, but the
    Ok, Ok! Y'all are going to make me have to buy the EU version of TNOTB again to compare to the US version again aren't you? :D

I remember comparing the US and EU box sets when I had both and the US Killers and TNOTB sounded less muffled to me, and I stress to me. I reported that back in a post 700-something in part 2 I think. I may have order tonight to get it before the holidays.

Thanks!

:edthumbs:

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yes just do it...order it. Have ya ordered it yet?? :)

10. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Done ... damn it. EU versions of the TNOTB and Killers! :pineapple:

johnny q likes this.
  11. Prophetzong

Don't panic. I'm talking about the original Harvest release (US) , not the reissues. If you are referring to sound quality.

12. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

This is off topic and I'm not the biggest Maiden fan, but many years ago did buy the picture disc of POWERSLAVE. Loved the songs on it as well as the artwork. You've encouraged me to pull it out and listen again. Bought the DVD of FLIGHT 666 secondhand and also enjoyed that. Nicko's a very dynamic and exciting drummer, for sure. He somehow brings a lightness to the songs - you feel he's ready for every twist and turn.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  13. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

YES! That was perfect!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  14. FelixR

FelixR Well-Known Member

Many thanks to rjstauber, Mij Retrac and johnny q for their responses!!!:)

Mij Retrac likes this.
  15. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Just gave SSOASS a spin again (Optimal pressing). Upon re-listen, I'm further impressed. Everything sounds simply incredible. Widest soundstage I've yet heard for this album, great dynamics, dead silent surface noise. This is most certainly my go-to pressing. So happy with this release and a number of the others.

SeventhGun and Mij Retrac like this.
  16. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

No I am talking about the artistic side. I love that album (and production).

17. asat

asat Member

I just received my 4th copy of SSOASS and finally I got a copy that´s not warped as hell but one that´s flat and plays great.

Having the run of EU reissues complete now I can say that I´m absolutely happy with it. I got introduced to Maiden very early on, had their first album just when it came out and attended their second ever gig in Germany opening for Kiss in 80. After that I bought every album up to SSOASS right after they got released.
    I basically bought this set for nostalgic reasons in the first place but now I´m also happy these sound so good and bring me back to a time when a world full of CDs was still in the future, let alone a time when vinyl would get a well deserved revival. I played my originals so many times that they retired a long time ago.

The only complain I have is the box. We all know it´s too small and I think that Maiden and their record company should come up for this major fxxx up and replace them as the full box is already a high price item.

Happy Christmas everyone.

18. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Further to my earlier post on problems with Powerslave, apologies but I hadn't spotted others had commented on the same problems (oils slick appearance, and loud pops in Ancient Mariner).

Can anyone recommend where (in UK / Europe) is a safe bet to get a good copy?

19. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

If any of you are in the Detroit/SE Michigan area, Dearborn Music is running a special and giving a free Maiden T-shirt with any Maiden purchase while supplies last.

jmpatrick likes this.
  20. relaxdrax

relaxdrax Forum Resident

Superstar, wish they would have done that when i bought SSOASS on black friday from there!

21. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Wait. How's that possible? It was confirmed numerous times that both pressings for the whole series originated from the same lacquers cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road. Is the US / EU deadwax different? That's a whole new game if it is.

22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Dammit, Shirley producing again...

DoF likes this.
  23. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

All I can tell you is I have a US and a EU pressing and there is a big difference in sound quality (with the EU sounding much better). It also sounds like Somewhere In Time is a different cutting also.

24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Yes, after removing the extra jackets/inserts they fit in the US box. However the UK box is smaller and seems impossible to fit them all.

25. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

They can fit but they are extremely tight. I wouldn't recommend cramming them in.