Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just played it, with these reissues you have the absurd situation that they are all coming from the same manufacturer yet "Fear Of The Dark" and "The X Factor" are housed it polyliners while "No Prayer" and "Virtual XI" come in cardboard inners. Prompting my second "Virtual" disc to look like a vintage GZ pressing. I understand that they are trying to make them look more like originals but it doesn't make this less grotesque. Thankfully it's all inaudible and easily removed but: Come on! Seriously?

"Virtual XI" - while not as cohesive and monumental as "The X Factor" - is also a very good album. I like Blaze's voice and the more "rock" sound on this album. I also foking love the - seemingly - endless repetition of the "Don't you think I'm a saviour etc" bit. Or the silly "polka" part in "Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger".

It all sounds fresh and is far from boring. If this - as I have been told for ages - is indeed the "worst" Maiden album, Iron Maiden are an absolutely terrific band!!!!! But we knew that all along. Didn't we?

gutter b and Opeth like this.
  2. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I got out of Maiden just around the ‘FOTD’ and never really gave 'X Factor' and Virtual XI much of a chance. That is, until now. Have been listening both albums extensively over the last few days.
    I'm absolutely mesmerised by the 'X-Factor' but Virtual XI hasn't grown on me yet. There's just something wrong with it. It's a bad mix for starters. Songs that were clearly written for Bruce's pipe organ, which leaves Blaze's voice sound like he either doesn't care, or struggles throughout the whole affair.

My EU box set 2 + 2 albums also arrived yesterday, and the pressing quality is really good.

Regards

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I know, I agree. Some have spoken favorably of the sound. I listened again last night on headphones hoping it was not quite as bad as I recalled...but it is bad! The pulsing, pumping type effect is distracting. "Tailgunner" and "The Assassin" are really bad. What the heck? Does anyone know if the HiRes file is the same way??

4. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Sounds like artifacts of compression (and they used A LOT). You could always sample the remasters at HDTracks. Due to the vinyl being cut from those files, they should have the same problems i would think.

5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Hmm. I didn't notice it on my pressing (US version). Are we sure it's on every copy?

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Full disclosure: I bought both "Blaze" albums when released back in the day and hated them. I mean...loathed them. I gave both of them away free to a friend. So what did I do recently? Ordered both vinyl reissues :)

Based on the reviews here regarding sound quality and some of the comments, I figured enough time has passed that I should re-evaluate. And what better way than via vinyl!

24voltsdc, Opeth and Neonbeam like this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah.

Listen to "Climb into the sky" in "Tailgunner" in particular, the word "Sky." Something funky going on - and I am not talking James Brown funky :)

8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I noticed it too but I don't think it sounds bad otherwise. I know it's not perfect but it doesn't bother me much.

9. Neonbeam

You... gave them away on vinyl? Wow!

10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

No, no....:) I had them on CD.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I re-visited the Blaze albums another way, I still hate them...can't stand his monotone voice at all and the material isn't that strong either. Maiden was basically dead to me from 89-99, a lost decade.

DoF, Blueshirt, DrZhivago and 2 others like this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I never owned the Blaze albums. I did see him live on the X Factor tour and he was better than on the album.

Opeth likes this.
  13. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

So, how's the SQ of the new FOTD?

14. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Played X-Factor today - fantastic press (EU). Same as 'Fear...' if there is compression it doesn't really show itself. Very crankable and although the sound of the album is very raw (sounds like a polished demo tape) it's nice and clear sounding.

Always believed the Blaze albums are very under-appreciated because of no Bruce. Some very strong material on both, although they didn't produce Blaze so well for some reason. I've always been annoyed at how low the vocals are mixed on X-Factor, they're pretty buried a lot of the time.

Purple and Neonbeam like this.
  15. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

I'm happy that the Blaze albums are coming across well in these represses as they are the only 2 studio LPs from Maiden I've never owned so it's a great way to get to know them better. I'm quite concerned about the later albums though especially Final Frontier which was heavily compressed already especially on the first half of the album - I was really hoping we would get a more dynamic release on vinyl not a less dynamic one. I'm also kicking myself for not getting the HMV Brave New World release when it was readily available in case it has a superior master to the upcoming release - time will tell I guess. At least Dance of Death should be a better master than the original due to Steve Harris' liking of Kevin Shirley's rough master he gave to play in the car being made the release version - too bad it's my least favourite modern era Maiden album.

Purple likes this.
  16. aroney

I think you mean A Matter of Life and Death.

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Picked up FOTD and NPFTD and I pretty much concur with what has been said about both... listened to side one of FOTD and it sounded fantastic to my ears... great package and presentation. I have NPFTD on right now... my lp has the same physical issues others are complaining about... a lot of hairline scratches and blemishes most likely from the hard cardboard jacket. I'm also hearing that shrill almost pulsating sound... esp in Holy Smoke. I'm not gonna cry over it... got it for less than 20 bucks and probably won't listen to it more than a handful of times. Listening to the song No Prayer For The Dying and it sounds nice during the verses but when everything kicks in... it just sounds like it's too much... maybe it was the way it was recorded? Not sure if I even bought the cd back in the day so I don't know.

johnny q likes this.
  18. aroney

I don't hear it on my US copy. I'm glad too. :agree:

19. DoF

DoF Less is more...

First LP of Virtual XI is dished, here

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  20. Neonbeam

I would be surprised if the new "Brave New World" was a different master. The HMV had "CB" in the deadwax, the new remasters have "CB" in the deadwax.

"A Matter Of Life & Death" - which you most likely are referring to - is the only 00er Maiden album I have an original picture disc for. Still sealed. Depending on the reviews in four weeks I will decide if I'm going to open it. Am I the only one to be excited about the next batch????

21. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

No, me too. I love all their albums without exception and have all original studio LP's and Rock In Rio and still am very excited about this reissue series.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Tops, then you will be able to compare the picture discs to the black vinyl remasters:righton::righton:

23. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I really hope Chris Bellman can work some magic on the rest of the 2000's output because he saved Book of Souls with better EQ. I love these later albums but the sound is too flat and muddy for most of them (bar BNW which I always thought sounded good, if a bit loud). AMOLAD actually sounds great too when cranked because it was never mastered, however it does sound a bit too flat and needs some minor EQ.

Dance of Death is the big one for me here - absoluely love that album and it has some of the absolute best Maiden tracks ever written imo (Paschendale, Dance of Death, Journeyman - I really rate Montsegur too).

Purple and johnny q like this.
  24. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

You must give in to the urge.....:agree:

theshape likes this.
  25. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Sounds very good to these ears. Better than I remember the cd sounding. I no longer have the cd but am impressed with the new vinyl. Packaging is really nice also.