Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. DoF

DoF Less is more...

They make quality music that shines on vinyl, err in this case you need to add ... on black vinyl. Love them.

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Hey, I was wondering...
    When the first batch of albums were re-issed on vinyl (from selt-titled to 7th son), they also re-issued the 7'' singles. That's made a terrific set of reissue, almost like everything was out for a second time, and in brand new quality.
    Since then they re-released the following albums, but not the accompanying singles this time. Why ?

Wouldn't it have been great to have brand new copies of "Holy smoke" to "Rainmaker" etc.... ? Especially since those singles are more difficult to find in their original pressing than the 80s one ?

Do you see it happening in the near future ?

And what about the immense catalogue of 12'' singles, with so many non-album tracks ?
    Even the 80s ones weren't reissued. :(

CBackley and Neonbeam like this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

My gut tells me that it's gonna happen

Zongadude and uncle AK like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not only your guts. But also Steve's bank account:uhhuh:

Zongadude, DoF and porotikos like this.
  5. 16s

16s Forum Resident

6. atomic powered poster

atomic powered poster Well-Known Member

I bought the en vivo (no gatefold or trifold as the picture disc version but the sound of the 3 LPs is pretty damn good)

Very happy with the flight 666, great sound, nice gatefold.

My copy of bnw hasn't arrived yet, really looking forward to it.

DoF likes this.
  7. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

what? Where did you get that info? Damn...

8. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I was spinning the Powerslave reissue last night. Where's the bass? I can't remember the original being so thin.

9. 16s

16s Forum Resident

what info? about the release or the quality of the masters? The press release says "from the original masters". Judging by the years that those albums were released and the fact that 2? of them never made it to vinyl; i would guess most masters were digital. Mainly 16 (maybe Chemical or Tyranny was 24??)
    I am still excited about the box set release though. I hope they don't screw it up. It the discs are pressed at least as well as the Optimal ones for the latest black Maiden re-releases i will be happy.

10. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

My Death on the Road and En Vivo say Remastered 2015 on the LP sleeve. Not sure what it REALLY means, but I was surprised to see it. I assumed they didn't touch the live ones. Oh, same for Rock in Rio but there was a 2015 digital remaster of that.

11. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

masters being 16 bit, was mentioned nowhere. anyway, cheers

12. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I have it pre-ordered and I'm looking forward to getting and playing them. WTH, I know I've spent more on worse things!

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

14. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

It wasn't, but then I'm really not a fan of the 2014 black vinyl series. It's worth the money to track down original pressings, generally a good copy of an original pressing in decent shape will cost about the same as a new remaster.

Jam757 likes this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I was living with these new vinyl reissues for the past month when last week - my turntable died suddenly, so I was briefly out of the vinyl business.

In the interim, I listened to the 24 bit files of ; Brave New World, Rock In Rio and Final Frontier. Folks - there is absolutely no comparison. The digital files are harsh and loud - I had to turn them off within a few minutes. By way of comparison, I used to listen to the new vinyl reissues at a fairly loud volume, via headphones and I would marvel at how great they sounded, even releases not known for great fidelity in the first place. I didn't need convincing, but this really sealed the deal for me.

Now that my turntable is up and running again - En Vivo is blasting through the house!

DoF, Jam757 and MadCajun like this.
  16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Question for those of you who have the new reissue of The Final Frontier:

Can you let me know how Bruce's "esssess" sound on "Mother Of Mercy?" In particular the quiet intro, build up part. I think I recall noticing this (hard esses, sibilance) when I first got it and compared it to the CD...I think it may be in the recording itself, but would like to know the results ya'all are getting on your systems.

JQ

17. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Definitely in the recording. Actually on most of the 2000's albums the vocals can get a bit sibilant in certain areas. Don't think they are well recorded.

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thank you for confirming. I just had my turntable repaired and everything I listen to, I listen with an almost paranoid perspective that maybe it's malfunctioning again! I heard the hard "essses" on "Mother Of Mercy" yesterday and thought...."now what?" But then I recalled that I noticed it when I first received the new LP. Thanks for confirming!!!!!!!

JQ

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

20. RVD30

RVD30 Forum Resident

That other website wanted £150 for the Bruce Dickinson Box Set and amazon.co.uk are asking £108. done my pre order.

21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Allow me to preface this by saying that for the past week, I am hearing all kinds of things. OR....I think I am hearing all kinds of things and I am not sure if it is real or imagination. I figured if something really does exist, the other type A personalities here will have noticed it :)

On the recent X-Factor reissue. Does anyone notice a subtle change in sound, perhaps a gradual top end roll off starting about 3/4 of the way through "Sign Of The Cross" and lasting until the side ends? I was listening last night on headphones and I swore I heard this. I have listened before on headphones and never noticed it, but for those previous listening sessions, I was using a setup that exaggerated the top end - so maybe it was not as noticeable? Maybe it doesn't exist at all? Let me know your thoughts - thanks.

JQ

22. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I took the plunge on the Complete 1990-2013 collectors box a few weeks ago. I knew from the 1st box once I ordered the 'shell' collection I'd end up paying out for all the other albums in short order. So far I have X-Factor and Brave New World in addition to No Prayer and Fear that were packed in with the box. Very happy with what I have so far and have been playing X-Factor a surprising bit more than I would have guessed. Yes it drags on in places, but with the album split out over 4 sides it is much easier for me to process and dig into. I would always lose my steam with that album sometime after Fortunes of War when playing through the CD.

Purple and johnny q like this.
  23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Let me the next guy to tell anyone who has not purchased the US 2014 reissue of Number of The Beast - STAY CLEAR FROM THIS ALBUM. I knew better thanks to forums like this and others. I saw it for 20 bucks at Barnes and Noble, I got antsy, wanted instant gratification. What everyone has complained about is true. For some inexplicable reason, the lp mastering is as flat as (insert your favorite simile). The music sounds distant like a copy of copy on a cheap cassette. It's crazy because the other US reissues I own like Piece, Somewhere, and Powerslave sound great to my ears. So the lesson here is, if you do your research and find the same complaint by half the populice, don't be a dummy like me, and hunt for a better pressing.

CBackley and DoF like this.
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I have yet to buy any of these, and the numerous negative comments regarding sound and pressing defects has caused me to steer clear.

I still get tempted though especially when I see the prices come down from time to time. I'd love to compare BNW, DOD, AMOLAD and FF to their CD counterparts, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

I'm getting really turned off by new vinyl.

DoF likes this.
  25. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I was under the impression that these reissues are mostly excellent (1990-2015). I have them all bar 'Flight 666' and all are fine and sound the best I've heard these albums and especially the 00's albums are a big improvement.

There is for me a slight issue with compression on NPFTD but it's minor and seems most people haven't noticed it. All mine have been defect free too, bar BNW which I went through 4 copies and still don't have a 100% defect free copy. For me, that is a great hit rate considering quality control with LP's today.

These for me are some of the best reissues out there currently, with nice thick glossy jackets too. Most of the 80's reissues are fine too.

tkl7 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.