Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Whoa. Can that be right? That is a huge huge difference. I havent heard it, but Id say that would sound as dull as dishwater!

JakeM, motorcitydave and Maidenpriest like this.
  2. I doesn't sound as dull as it looks. The typical treble frequencies (cymbals etc.) you usually notice are not more than 10 kHz, and up to around there, it is "only" a 2 dB difference. Don't look at the area where it dives down beyond -3 dB, that is not what you typically hear in a recording.

3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

What would the purpose be for rolling off the highs like this during the mastering process?

motorcitydave likes this.
  4. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Someone thought it was too bright. Kind of remarkable how they've gone from one extreme for the same music. Someone thought the CD needed to be brightened and now many years later someone thought this LP reissue needed the highs rolled a little.

MikeyP likes this.
  5. Some people (not me) think these were not mastered at all because the promo ads, etc. did not say 'remastered'. If that's true, this is how the 'original analogue master tapes' sound...or, sound after 30 plus years of sitting around. I really don't know what to think but, I know what I hear.

marcelbr and Tojo like this.
  6. Exile On My Street

I have been following this thread without much to add being I have all of the Maiden remasters on CD (which I find now to be extremely disliked) because of compression. I was hoping to grab some vinyls after a friend gave me near mint originals of "Killers" and "Powerslave" but gosh darn, NEW vinyl's of ANY sort seem to be a risky proposition these days, especially when you take into account the cost. I love vinyl but I'm sticking to the used bins.

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

A hell of a lot of air and ambience certainly lives up there!

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  8. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

If you have an EQ and turn up the treble all the way, it really improves it. The vinyl is dead-silent, heavy-weight 180 gram, black, and beautiful. The separation during most of the record is great. It just doesn't have that 'smack you in your face' dynamics that the originals have.

metalrules and Sox68 like this.
  9. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

How could we possibly know if the master tapes sound like this? We know absolutely nothing of what went on here.

jimhb, Maidenpriest and Blueshirt like this.
  10. Exile On My Street

For what these cost you shouldn't *have* to do so much tweaking just to make them sound right, IMO.

11. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

These are cheap in comparison to many reissues actually. I for one prefer the less treble. I don't have a problem with the roll off. It is pretty typical of a recording that hasn't been smiley faced.

12. Mij Retrac

They may not have rolled them off but if they did it would be so you you could fit more info on the record or the engineer thought there was too much treble on the recording.

13. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I agree with you. However, the LPs themselves sound good and the packaging is very well done. I say let's see how the next batch turns out before judging all of the reissues. For example, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets reissues were not good (the 45 RPM ones were OKAY, again if the volume was up). However, the rest of the box set 45 RPM Metallica reissues sound incredible (in my opinion). Better than some of the original LPs.

14. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I have fundamental issues with applying EQ to playback. Never have,never will. I tune the room and speakers within, and want to hear it as is. Yes, Im obsessive and a bit weird :)

deniall likes this.
  15. Mij Retrac

But the problem is some people don't have to add EQ. I don't and they still sound fine to my ears. So it is just a matter of opinion/taste.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. easyge

easyge Senior Member

I would wait on buying Killers from Amazon. I have received 2 copies with a skip at the end of Innocent Exile. What a pain. At least Amazon's customer service is excellent.

17. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Absolutely. 2 dB at 10 kHz is barely detectable. However, the drop gets more significative after 15-16 kHz, but remember that above 17-18 kHz a good portion of the signal may actually be noise (especially with analog recordings), most of the time.
    The master tapes may have lost some HF in 32 years.

Thanks for posting the graph!!! This is what I wanted to see. Can you please make more, from S/T and Killers?

18. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Barely audible? Not to me. 2db boost at 10db is easily noticeable here.

19. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Very interesting. would like to see comparison of the S/T and Killers to. I think S/T sounds really good actually.
    Of the first three that one is the keeper!

20. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

The original records are not Smiley Faced neither are the original Cd's!!! I Just want to state that fact and it is how they should sound, every 'remaster' released by the Maiden camp have just sounded wrong as it seems these new records do, they need to listen to there fans regarding sound quality !!

21. Mij Retrac

I'm a fan (been one since Powerslave) and I feel these new ones sound good and most originals are too bright. I never said the originals are smiley faced. They don't have enough bass to have that classification. I can understand people thinking these dont have enough treble but I'm not one of them.
    Some may say every remaster/reissue may sound "wrong" but some of that may be just the fact that your used to the sound of the originals. Just an opinion of course and that is all.

metalrules likes this.
  22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yes ofcourse the cd-remasters sound wrong, take something that initiatly had DR14 and slam them to DR7 will sure make them sound BAD! :D

23. Mij Retrac

This isn't always true. Not saying this isn't the case on these but some albums (if remastered properly) can sound better with less dynamics. It is a very hard thing to accomplish correctly though.

24. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

All singles and vinyls have arrived :)

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

You are not weird, quite a few of us never use the tone controls or any type of EQ. I personally never do, but with this TNOTB reissue, I feel myself reaching for that treble control.

tim185 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.