Finally on DVD: Star Wars, Sept 21st

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sckott, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Just saw this morning on a local news TV marquee rolling by. Star Wars Trilogy coming this Sept 21st. More to come.

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yaaahh! I've been waiting for this forever. You've made my millenium! :D

Any details on format?

3. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Looks like both widescreen and pan and scan. Unfortunately it's going to be the updated 1997 versions. Say goodbye to the originals, or hold onto your laser discs and vhs tapes.

Jeff

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

The Star Wars Trilogy On DVD

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Well, the first time I saw them Greedo didn't shoot first. ;)

Gotta get to work & get my THX LDs turned into DVDs I guess.

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Amen, brother, amen. Though, when push comes to shove, I'll probably get the SE DVDs too. Just being realistic...:D

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Lucas is obviously hoping this brings up his box office for Episode III. Episode II had a drop of 30% from Episode I.

Remember when he swore these wouldn't come out on DVD until 2006?

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Oh I think we'll see several DVD editions down the road. Look at the myriad of copies that have come out on older formats (especially VHS).

I have to say I'm really dissapointed that we won't be getting the original theatrical releases.
    I probably won't buy these, but my brother will (Star Wars freak). Luckily he has a widescreen boxed set of the original releases on VHS.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I had actually heard in 2002 that these wouldn't be out until this year.

Great news, except for the fact that the original versions are apparently forever MIA.
    A reason to hold on to the VHS tapes, I guess.

Evan

10. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I own the VHS tapes (SE's) and the THX LD's (Non-SE's).

To be honest, I'll end up buying the set, watch it (once) just to hear the Surround-EX mix, and store it again... just like I did with the VHS set.

11. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

If they ain't the originals (which they most likely won't be), I'll be holding on to my money. I found the Special Editions to be pretty weak, especially for the original film.

I never understand how fans can complain about this and then reward Lucas by buying up versions they find inferior. No wonder we're not getting what we want!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I don't remember him taking an oath or placing his hand on a bible. I just remember something about how he was going to be pre-occupied with producing the prequels and did not think he would have time to create the kind of ultimate SEs that he wanted to on DVD. If this is a compromise with more elaborate stuff to come in a few years, I'm glad he made it and certainly won't hold it against him.

Regards,

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Yes, I remember when he was saying that a few years ago. He wanted the 6 film set to be the be all; end all of the DVD medium. I guess he heard the force (clinking with coins)....

14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I certainly plan to hang onto my LD box set.

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Glad I kept the old LD's, now...of course I'll buy the new DVD's, anyway--collectors never learn!:D--but, all the same, a pity the original editions will never be legitimately availalable on DVD and any future formats to come. Ah well....

ED :ed:

16. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I didn't say I'm holding anything against him, I just find it a bit curious.

If his box office was growing instead of declining, I don't think these discs would be coming out this year. That's all.

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Great news....anything Star Wars is good.

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

September lines up nicely for Xmas. Most will get it before then, and then they'll be the Xmas rush for it. Double-nice for Lucas.

19. GregY

GregY New Member

I plan on purchasing these discs.

And by 'these discs' I mean blank DVD+Rs when I get a DVD burner in a few months or so. Then I'll find rips of the THX 'Faces' laserdiscs and burn them.

I guess he saw how nicely the Indiana Jones discs sold last year and the dollar signs shone in his mind's eye like an exploding tie fighter.

20. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

If they do tamper with the original films (which seems inevitable) maybe they'll include both versions of the movie. That would work for me.

21. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I'd love that. Unfortunately, that ain't happening. You get no choice. You get the new, 'better' versions.

Or, like me, you just keep your old copies and refuse to spend your hard-earned cash on George's shiny little discs.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

22. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Right on, GregY! My "faces" laserdiscs are standing by...waiting for the DVD recorder I plan to buy, oh, September 20th or so!

Then, of course, the DVD set will look and sound much better, but not have the ol' theatrical cuts. Sigh.

23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The article didn't mention it, but the rumor mills have said that the new discs will be even further tampered with than the "original" Special Editions. Supposedly even grafting in new actors from the current trilogy. We'll just have to wait and see. That is, if I can rent, borrow or buy used. :)

24. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

So, can we safely say that the 2004 versions will be even more doctored than the 1997 THX Trilogy box set? That's what I'd heard last year. Doesn't matter THAT much to me, as I'm holding onto both of my original laserdisc sets in addition to buying the new DVDs, which in terms of picture will look better. And let's face it: based on the crap movies they release today, those three films, even doctored, are damn good entertainment. :thumbsup:

25. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'm glad I kept all my LD's after all....some DVD's are outstanding, but as time goes on the urge to mess around with stuff becomes too great. As much as I wish the LD of Welles' TOUCH OF EVIL were properly letterboxed, I'd rather watch the fullscreen previous edition over the latest re-do anyday, if only for my beloved opening sequence, lettering, music and all....I'm just too used to its quirky, squalid perfection to live with the one that's on DVD now.

ED :ed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.