Finally watched 'Kramer vs. Kramer' last weekend

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

It's a bit strange that I've never seen this classic in its entirety, maybe just small bits and pieces over the years.

I have to say that it has aged very well, IMHO. Amazing acting all around, especially by Hoffman and young Justin Henry. The scene of the boys quietly making French toast together before he was to give up custody nearly had me in tears, bringing back painful memories of my lost custody battles. Sadly mine didn't end as well.

The court scenes slowed the film down a bit IMHO, and that's the only time the movie seemed to fall victim typical Hollywood dramatic BS.

Oh, and JoBeth Williams' bit part was great (Oh man she was a beauty!). I couldn't help but think though that any good muckraking divorce lawyer would have loved to bring that up in court. :laugh: Perhaps her 'hot secretary' look was a tad over the top, but oh well.

Here's a nice article from a couple years back for the film's 30th anniversary.
    http://www.premiumhollywood.com/2009/03/10/robert-benton-on-“kramer-vs-kramer”-30-years-later/

dan c

2. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I don't think I've seen it since it was originally released. As a guy that does divorce work as an attorney, I probably need to put it on my Netflix list.

JcS

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I really like the portrayal of the platonic friendship between Hoffman's character and Jane Alexander's in this movie. I'm not so sure how believable such a relationship is in the real world, but it's played in such a way that it sure *seems* believable.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I remember seeing this movie once, and when it was over, I really really really hated Maryl Streep. In fact, after this movie, I never liked he in anything she ever did.

Of course, that was a stupid reason for not liking her, but her charactor really ticked me off. :D

5. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

It's a pretty good film, and as has been said it has aged well. Having lived through a divorce, I can identify with the many challenges portrayed in the movie.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That attests to what a great actress she is: you believed who she was so thoroughly, you hated her. It takes a lot of talent to pull that off.

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I know. It's really dumb. All these years, my wife always wondered why I disliked her so much. When I finally told her, she said I was a *****! :D

(I too came from a family with a divorce, so I guess it hit home a bit too hard)

8. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I haven't seen this since 1979, but I thought it was a very good film at that time. Meryl Streep is the best. Go see Sophie's Choice and your sympathies for her will be rekindled. Then watch the parody of it on Modern Family--lol!

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Of course, a lot of it came from the script, as the movie makes Joanna awfully self-absorbed. Streep was definitely terrific in the part, though - she uses her limited screen time well...

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked a bit on Postcards from the Edge, and from what I saw of Ms. Streep (from a distance), she was a total pro from top to bottom. No attitude, great performance, very friendly, terrific to deal with. That was lit by the great Michael Ballhaus, an incredible cinematographer. His biggest achievement was in making Meryl look 30 (or late 20s) in the film, when she was already in her 40s.

Streep was 100% believable in the part -- and also did her own singing. An amazing actress. I confess to have never seen Kramer vs. Kramer, but it's been sitting on the shelf for years; maybe I'll finally pull it down and watch it.

11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

For me Kramer vs Kramer, was all about timing.
    FWR, there are films that are extremely popular when they're released but in retrospect they're really not that good.
    You do realize that Kramer vs Kramer beat Apocalypse Now for best picture.

12. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

You and me both. I found Mrs. Kramer utterly detestable and indefensible, regardless of her husband's presumed offenses, and like you I loathed Meryl Streep afterward. Which obviously is Incredibly silly, but that's what happened. It took me quite a while to get over it, but better late than never - - For the last 25 years or so I've loved her work. In fact, I think she's the greatest living American actress.

13. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Funny thing is, I had no particular identification with any of the characters. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't hitting any touchy areas in my psyche. Which makes her an even more impressive actress, I suppose.

14. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

A great film that I think sometimes doesn't get much respect nowadays because its got to live up to being named Best Picture over Apocalypse Now.

15. xios

xios Senior Member

I saw it in first run, and most of the women in the audience were weeping at the end. I felt like turning around and saying "get a grip!" because it seemed like such a paint by numbers weeper, but my date (dry eyed) reminded me that this is the kind of thing women generally like. I never was taken in by Streep because I'm one of those viewers who always see her gears turning- I did like her in "Death Becomes Her" because she was over the top. I didn't buy her reasoning for wanting to leave- that there are some women out there who see marriage as a "phase" has always grated on me.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This film came to mean a lot more to me in 1987, as I fought for, and won full custody of my son, who was 3 going on 4 at the time. Back then, unbeknownst to me, a father getting custody was very rare...the mother had to be pretty unstable, and a glaring example of someone who should not be responsible for a child's welfare. I'll just say my case was a slam dunk, and leave it at that. What surprised me then, and I've never stopped thinking it since is...before my son's birth, becoming a parent had never occured to me, I didn't dislike kids, I just never really acknowledged their presence. But once he arrived, the cliche of your " life changing forever," hit full force. He's my only child, who is now a grown man of course, and still the only person I can trust completely and totally. Haven't seen this film in years, and don't know if I'd want to again, having already lived it, but yes, great film.

17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I don't remember ever seeing Streep give a bad performance in any film and as Skip said she is one of America's best living actresses.

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I know I'm out on a limb here, but IMHO 'Apocalypse Now' is an epic film but also deeply flawed and fragmented. 'Kramer vs. Kramer' features all around better and solid storytelling. Which deserves 'Best Picture'? Always a matter of opinion.

Years from now I wonder if film students will be looking at 'Inception' and 'True Grit', for example, and wondering why on earth some cute but forgotten movie called 'King's Speech' swept the awards. Just my opinion, of course. :shh:

Like I said, I enjoyed 'Kramer vs. Kramer' and can see why it won so much praise...especially in its era.

dan c

19. benjaminhuf

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Choked me up a bit, just like the film (and I'm not kidding).

I'm fortunate to have married an good one and plan to keep it that way, but I agree with you all the way with kids and how they change your life and become your new best friends.

20. Oatsdad

Not out on a limb at all - that's almost exactly what I said in my "KvK" review:

"Apocalypse Now remains my pick for the best film of 1979. It offers a much more ambitious and epic form than does Kramer, though it also falls short of many of its goals; the last third of Apocalypse still borders on unwatchability. Kramer shoots lower but hits more consistently. In some eyes, that may make it superior, but I’ll take the greater aim of Apocalypse."

So while I do prefer "AN", the "KvK" camp has solid footing...

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks. Just a few years later, my son came home from school to tell me, "there's 4 other kids in my class who only live with their daddys too ! " Of course, that gave him strength in numbers, but made me realize how different the world was becoming, as women were the ones leaving everything behind, and Dad taking over both roles. Nowadays, I have no clue as to the ratio. Sure do get a kick out of those women that LOVE being "Mom." God Bless 'Em. :wave:

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Was there controversy over KvK getting passed over for Best Picture? The reason I ask is that if that were the case, it might partially explain the (much-maligned) selection of another straightforward but well-acted domestic drama, Ordinary People, the following year.

23. Oatsdad

I was only 12 at the time so not really super "in the know" about such things, but I don't remember much controversy.

I think "ANow" is a film that's much more respected now than it was then. IIRC, there was some controversy because it got nominated for Best Picture - some people thought it got that honor because it was supposed to be good, not because it WAS good. I think the movie was greeted with very mixed reviews in its day.

But it's become a classic since then. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but that's the memory I have: "KvK" was better received in its day, and I don't recall any real controversy about its Oscar win.

Same thing with "Raging Bull", though to a lesser degree: I think a lot of the "controversy" comes from the way it got viewed in later years, not at the time...

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Huh? I don't think there really a bad moment in the entire movie. And I think it was immediately viewed as a major work and brilliant. I love Apocalypse Now (Just hated "redux').

25. benjaminhuf

Very nice reviews.

But I actually like the end of Apocalypse. You would cut out those 10 minutes with Brando?? I thought they were brilliant. Only he could have pulled that off, imho.

I still want the original ending where everything blows up. If that makes me shallow, so be it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.