Finding The Groove

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fender Relic, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an annoying intermittent issue with my JVC QL-Y5F TT. On some LP's it can't find the lead in groove. It goes the right distance but when it settles in the sound is all scratchy for maybe 5-10 seconds and then it'll jump into the groove and play as it should. I can raise the arm and manual drop a few times and it'll hit it right and play OK. I notice most on a few MM Blue Note re-issues but it just did it a few minutes ago on my OG Dusty In Memphis LP. Most of the time it's fine and in the case of the MM's when I try them on another TT,70's Pioneer PL-560,it finds the groove OK but I manual drop having turned off the auto setting. Is it the stylus profile,the record...funny that it happens on a number of MM's...Moanin',True Blue,Maiden Voyage and maybe another one or two,are they cut different as far as lead in groove ? The stylus looks aligned OK and SQ is normal once it finds the groove. Anyone ever have a similar issue? BTW, the stylus is probably at about 200 hrs. but it's been happening for some time even when it was fairly new. It's a Fisher red micro, I think.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

When I first got mine it wouldn't play 7" singles to the end, there was possibly an additional issue as well, unfortunately I can't remember the specifics of what I did, but I think it was to do with adjusting the arm, I don't think I opened it up, anyway I managed to get it working properly and it still does so my best suggestion is to set the arm up from scratch and see if that works. They are relatively complicated decks, especially that arm and being 35 years old doesn't help, they also seem to like regular use, mine had been unused for some time before I adopted it. I assume that you can still cue manually if you can't sort the auto feature.

Fender Relic likes this.
  3. Fender Relic

Yeah, I found mine under a pine tree at a yard sale for $10. I took it to a repair tech and he set it up,lubed,new cart for $85. It's worked great since now on it's 5th year of almost daily use. It's like a luxury car...yeah, I know, it's a Japan auto DD...but, it has that deluxe look and feel. Probably dozens of other TT's that will best it but I've really enjoyed it. IIRC,the tech did say he had to download the manual and it has an interesting array of settings/ functions and set up. The OG plinth is ringy though and susceptible to footfall distortion on my old wood flooring. I've heard of some fixes but I don't have a problem since I found a pair of old Wharfedale 60 achromatic sand filled speakers,another $20 yard sale find....no more footfall thumps.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Fender Relic likes this.
  5. Fender Relic

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It was a pretty decent mid-range deck and it looks great and very expensive, I did think about mass loading mine, but as it's not my main deck and I've never had any issues with it I kept it stock, I think there's also some good info and threads on Audio Karma.

7. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I know nothing of this deck and would certainly think you'd find some answers in the manual as per Dubmart's advice. However, my intuition tells me this is likely something to do with an improper anti-skate/bias setting, or perhaps a slower-than-normal cueing mechanism (i.e., dropping the arm on the record too slow). Those would be the first things I would look into.

8. Fender Relic

Thanks for that but the dropping too slow doesn't seem like it'd be the problem as it also happens when I drop it manually at my speed which probably isn't consistent. I sometimes have to drop it manually 5 or 6 times til it hits the sweet spot other times it'll hit on first try. I haven't paid attention to where on the revolving label that it usually catches or if it's random. Maybe there's an "entry gate". The one LP that it really bugs me on is Moanin' because it has that little bit of studio chatter at the beginning of side 1 that I like to hear. When it does settle in on Moanin' it usually happens right after the studio chat is done.

9. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Oh, I see. If you notice the same effect on a manual cue then yeah, that would eliminate the cueing mechanism for sure.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That table has a servo driven tonearm. If that isn't right, then ouch. It could just be dust on the needle. Clean it and see if that solves it. If not, then it could be something electronic. Maybe an adjustment if it is just moving in too far when it sets down in auto, but if it isn't tracking at the right force when used manually, there could be a deeper issue. In addition to being sure the stylus is clean, I'd double check the arm set-up.
    -Bill

Manimal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.