First Impressions on Four New Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

I splurged and picked up six discs worth of music this week, and I can't remember the last time I was so happy with an impulse purchase. Recommended, in alphabetical order:

Joan Armatrading - LOVE & AFFECTION
    A two-CD anthology drawing from 10 LPs and an entire EP. I somehow missed Armatrading the first time around, but now I retrospectively agree with the critical acclaim she received as the premiere singer-songwriter of her time. The condensation probably evades failed experiments while affirming her eclecticism, meaning you can enjoy her rich voice and smart songs without a moment's tedium.

Booker T & The MGs and The Mar-Keys - STAX INSTRUMENTALS
    Well, it is what it says it is: 25 previously unreleased instrumentals by the band(s) behind many of the sixties' greatest singles. The lengthy liner notes contain a lot of technical discussion of instruments and recording that will appeal to many forum members, and the music will appeal to everyone else with an ear for economical, tasty soul. This is wonderful stuff.

Earth Wind & Fire - ESSENTIAL
    From Sony's limited edition series of anthologies, this package fits the bill for those wanting more than a single disc without springing for the box set. Another seventies soul necessity.

Toots & The Maytals - FUNKY KINGSTON/IN THE DARK
    Two albums on one CD. Reggae meets soul circa 1972 & 1973, and not nearly as calculated as it might sound. If you like either genre, get this immediately. One complaint: the liner notes are black microdot on beige and olive -- maybe you can get your kid to read them to you.

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

An amazing coincidence. I was listening to the Joan comp just as I read your post!

I assume you mean the one mastered by Roger Wake? That's been around for several years now.

Toots is one of my all-time treasures. Is the twofer a Trojan UK release? If so, you'll be getting the original version of Funky Kingston, not the US version which was a comp of Funky Kingston, In The Dark plus a few other tracks.

In The Dark is my favourite Toots album.

3. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

More info, please. Is it a recent release? Is it on Ace [they released a handful of unreleased stuff on their 1000-4000 Volts of Stax series]?

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to give catalog info:

Joan Armatrading - LOVE & AFFECTION (A&M/Universal 493613)
    Mastered by Erik Labson, 2003.

Booker T & The MGs - STAX INSTRUMENTALS (Stax/Fantasy 8609)
    No mastering credit. The liner notes reprint Ace CDSXD 117, so I assume this is the same.

Earth Wind & Fire - ESSENTIAL (Sony Legacy 86661)
    Mastered by Mark Wilder & Seth Foster.

Toots & The Maytals - FUNKY KINGSTON/IN THE DARK (Island/Universal 77076)
    Mastered by Gavin Lurssen. This is both original LPs plus the single, "Pressure Drop," which were condensed into the American release of FUNKY KINGSTON.

These are all new releases to the U.S. market.

5. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Ron - a simple thanks for posting about these - the Booker and Toots slipped under the radar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.