Fisher Integrated Kit

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CardinalFang, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

Ok, go easy on me guys... ;)

Preface: My listening environment is basically my home studio. Mackie board, Alesis monitors, my Dual turntable, and the CD player in my computer. However, I also have a stereo in the living room that doesn't get as much use right now. It consists of a boring JVC unit from the 80s and some old Sherwood speakers (not sure model or any other details right now).

The Situation: I have in my possesion one of those old Fisher kits... the KX-100. It doesn't work. A friend is going to help me get it back in business. I'm going to need to find those 7868 tubes and I've located a KX-100 parts kit for $65.00. I thought it might be a good way to get my feet wet with some restoration work and hopefully some nicer fidelity in my living room.

My question... Is it worth it?

Thanks for the input,

BoB

PS Photo of this model at http://fisherdoctor.com/pictures/fisher/amps/x100-pic1.jpg

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have a Sherwood Mk-III that uses the very same "weird" tubes. The 7868's are quite rare, and last I looked, there's no Russian equivs. The tubes, when found, are usually pricey, and the work on most integrated tube amps like my Sherwood (and your Fisher) is only worth it if every tube is well and good.

Many testers don't even do 7868's. Bummer.

It's simple. If the tubes are bad, I'd sell it before investing a dime into it. Mine are fine, and I'll be sad when it's dead. My GF will possibly make me bury it in the back yard and remind me I have 4-5 tube amps that are "FINE!".....

You would be better off building a Doc Bottlehead kit for both pre and amp stages if you wanted something tuby. The Fishers like yours are quite nice sounding! However, this one might get messy especially if tubes are in question. The pots are also hard to get if they're real screwy/noisy

You've been warned, but good luck.

3. CardinalFang

Well, there aren't ANY tubes in there right now! I realize it might be hard to find them but I think I've found a source who can get me them at a reasonable price ($60).

The parts kit I found for $65: "Each kit is specifically designed for your Fisher integrated amp. Includes required film caps, new silicon diodes or diode bridge, bypass and other electrolytics.  Also includes schematic of your amplifier with replacement parts identified. Under-chassis electrolytic axial capacitors made by Illinois Capacitor. All Under-chassis tubular coupling, signal and bypass capacitors made by Illinois Capacitor (metallized polypropylele ICMWR type). New silicon 1N4007 diodes and/or 6 amp 600V diode bridge for bias, filament and/or B+ voltage. 1 and 2 watt XICON metal film resistors for certain low noise applications in phono and/or voltage amplifications of the plate load circuits. Note not all resistors in the equipment are included in the kits."

A lot of nonsense to this newbie, but I thought it might be relevant.

Also, I found reference to a mod for this unit that would allow one to use 7591 tubes instead. Sounds like I'd need to replace the sockets.

Is it worth pumping $150 into this unit? I'm in position to spend any more than that on ANYTHING right now! ;) I thought it might be the cheapest path outside of living with that JVC unit.

Keith

4. Sckott

The unit sounds really nice. I'd say GO FOR IT if you can imagine that possibly there might be more to it than that.

I'd even go as far as saying most any tube unit needs a hell of a lot of loving care and begs the technical attention of the user, or a well paid technician to fix the "weird things" you might not be able to figure out.

I'm not always confident $150 is the most you'll put into it.

But I also know that the first Dynaco I rebuilt took a lot of neck aches, time on the net researching schematics, asking questions, soldering and LEARNING. The L word is key. Are you ready?

That being said, that abused, overpriced eBay Dynaco ST-70 I started mucking around with was the best thing I did next to buying a Rega Planar 3.

Do you have a REAL good soldering iron? Solder suck pen? Good, dedicated counter space? Time enough to go down this road? If so, you will enjoy the learning experience, and you WILL carry it into other things, definitely.

If you need any encouragement, I'd say DO it. It's a classic unit, and the money you put into it you won't totally get back selling it, but working it will bring back a nice chunk of change in case you go reeling back into either a SS unit or something with more buttery tube juices.

These units are NOT at a beginners level either, but ain't impossible. The Dynaco's aren't either, but I consider them to be a hell of a lot easier to find problems and where they arise. Not to mention the TON of support and mods.

Also, tube units are dangerous to play with. Make sure you obey the respect of large capacitors, and be prepared to read a lot.

If you have a book store nearby, $4 will buy you a magazine called Audioxpress (http://www.audioxpress.com/) and can lead you not only into bigger ideas, but will give you confidence that people do these things with success.

You have to be willing to do more than bank a buck fifty.

5. CardinalFang

I'm leaning towards going down this road... if I spend more I won't be upset. As long as it's not all in one lump sum, I think I can work it into the budget (the wife needs a new (used) car and we want to leave the land of rentals for our very own home!).

I've done my share of soldering, although mainly mic cables. I worked for a PA rental company one summer and started small and eventually made a huge splitter box for a local theatre. I still have my tools...

Time is another issue altogether. But I'm going to try and MAKE that time.

The unit is currently with a friend, a local self-taught tech turned recording engineer. I'll be getting it back from him this week. He doesn't really have the time to work on it, but is willing to help me with tips and troubleshooting. Also my neighbor works for THE audio tech in town... so I should be covered!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement! Anybody else have comments on this unit? This was a kit, wasn't it?

6. CardinalFang

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

My first instinct is to tell you to throw it in the trash, because I don't need anyone else hunting down 7868 tubes. However, I hate to see vintage gear abused so keep it and treat it nice. :)

I think have the kit version of the X100. I'm using an X100-B, a slightly later model I believe, and it uses the same elusive 7868 tubes. Tracking them down is a serious pain in the ass but sometimes you get lucky. For instance, my tech called some guy he knows in Utah (who'd apparently never heard of eBay or the Internet) and got some NOS GEs for $18 a piece. Other times you'll see a quad set pulled from an old unit on eBay for a "reasonable" price, but be prepared to drop at LEAST $100 into four of those tubes (most likely much more).

That said, I absolutely love this unit. You get that fabled warm sweet midrange, surprisingly strong bass and clear smooth highs. Tube magic! You also get a killer tube phono stage and one of the best damn headphone stages I've ever heard.

It's well worth your effort to get it pretty again.
    Good luck,
    Dan C

8. Sckott

Let us know if you take the blue or the red pill, bigolbug.

9. CardinalFang

Anybody who quotes Elvis can't be wrong.

THANKS!

I spoke to my tech-friend last night and he's going to check around the shop. He doubts he has them though.

I'm following a few eBay auctions for the tubes... if I hadn't dropped $50 on a DCC vinyl copy of Pet Sounds, I'd be in better shape! ;)

BoB

PS I'm taking the red pill... or was it the blue pill? Whichever is the one that sounds sweet!

10. CardinalFang

Update: Got four 7868 tubes for $75 courtesy of eBay.

11. Sckott

That ain't bad. Hopefully, they have lots of life in them.

Just be careful with the pins. They can be tricky occasionally. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.