Flac to lossless and/or AAC converter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Keith V, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I use XLD on a Macbook pro and Foobar 2000 on a PC.

Keith V and chrischerm like this.
  2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Audacity has an export to "(external program)" option allowing use of command-line encoder like QAAC I posted above. Perhaps SF Pro or Audition has a similar option?

3. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Thanks. Too much work.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

If you're on Windows, TAudioConverter is a great free open-source program that will convert anything to anything, preserving all tags and artwork. It can even extract the audio track from a movie. Comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors, and has minimal crapware to avoid in the install program (there's also a portable version with no crapware). The author hangs out on the Hydrogenaudio and doom9 forums, and is always open to feature requests.

5. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Wavelab will have native ALAC support in an upcoming version...

VP

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's what I did so far (because I've yet to understand how to even use these programs). I burned my FLAC files to CD using Nero, then fed them back into iTunes (AAC, I don't use the computer to store lossless anyway as I have a laptop). It's cumbersome but it worked for me. I feel so old not understanding certain aspects of computing but considering I've only had one for a year, I'm not that bad. Thanks for all your help and keep those suggestions coming. I haven't given up, just looking for something free and simple. Thanks again :)

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

You should be able to search for a tutorial for any of these programs. They're actually easier to use than the process you're currently using. It's simply a matter of choosing your output format, opening the files you want to convert, and then clicking whatever button starts the conversion process. Most will let you add track info tags before you convert, and some will let you import the converted tracks to iTunes automatically.

Keith V likes this.
  8. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Thanks. It is a feature I requested that Sony add to Sound Forge a while back - it can already read it, I would just like to be able to export it.I checked out Audition (I used it back when it was Cool Edit) and found it was lacking this too. Perhaps the inclusion in Wavelab will spur others to provide this feature.

9. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

If you want to do this easily without spending any money, use foobar2000 if you are in Windows. Drag/drop all your FLAC files into there, and then right click and convert them all to AIFF. Then open iTunes. Set your output path to be where you want the files to go. Drag/drop these into iTunes. Then from there, just use iTunes to make your Apple Lossless and AAC versions, then delete the original AIFF files.

That's the fastest and easiest way to do it IMO.

Keith V likes this.
  10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I have Foobar, Itunes, and Jriver all on one windows machine. Didn't care for Itunes not playing nice with others and only use it to manage an ipod.

Foobar was my player, tagger, and file translater for years.

Getting into Jriver recently and it is slowly replacing foobar. I'm still using foobar for translations if needed, and to edit tagging manually but Jriver is so much better than the other two it's not even a contest.

I just wish Gizmo had some more features when streaming (to here). Maybe I need more time with it.

quicksrt likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Foobar won't convert directly to ALAC or AAC?

12. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes it will, both. Run full foobar2000 install as well as its "Encoder Pack" (both at www.foobar2000.org/download). See note there about iTunes needing to already be on the PC; that's the easiest way. I do it without iTunes but I don't recall how I set that up and it doesn't seem to be the need here.

13. Keith V

I'm doing it now. I'm sure I'll have more questions so be ready :) and thanks

14. Keith V

Ok. So it says "to use apple lossless encoder you need iTunes and foobar2000 free encoder pack". I have both but it keeps saying it

15. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

After you downloaded the Encoder Pack EXE file did you run (double-click) it?

16. Keith V

Success. Kind of. Hope I can do it again :)

17. Keith V

I'm not sure. I'll try again in a little while.

18. Keith V

How do you set the output path?

19. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

I'm free of iTunes now that I'm on Linux, but I believe if you do Edit > Preferences and I think the tab is all the way over on the right where you specify the output path for your files.

Keith V likes this.
  20. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

JRiver or Media Monkey. I have used both and been with MM for probably 8 years now.
    This is the exact reason I will never use any Apple product ever again. Used iTunes for quite some time, needless to say, NEVER AGAIN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.