Fleetwood Mac "Oh Well" Parts I & II..is there a stereo version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beagle, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member Thread Starter

Anybody know if the long version of Oh Well has a stereo version?

2. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

You mean Part 2? Oh I hope there is somewhere. Is there a stereo version of Part 1?

3. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

nope on both.

Further, the song has never been "joined" correctly. The two sides of the single have a redundant overlapping minute between them, and while some releases put a gap between the two parts and some don't, they never take out the minute.

4. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Hi Steve, do you mean there was never a stereo version *released* or was it just never recorded in stereo to begin with? Both Parts do sound very raw.

(May I add that Lindsey's live version on Fleetwood Mac Live is tremendous! ) :righton:

5. Pekka Nikkola

Pekka Nikkola Forum Resident

Stereo

European VHS-video (Peter Green's FM, the early years 1967-1970)
    has the stereo version. The lenght is only 2:28.

pablo fanques likes this.
  6. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Did this ever make it to audio?

7. Steve E.

I meant that the stereo mix has never been released on a single or album, as far as I know. Interesting to hear that a version of Part 1 in stereo (the fast part) even exists on video.

It gets complicated talking about "part 1" and "part 2" with this song. Side 1 of the single is called "part 1", but it actually is "part 1" and the first minute of "part 2" (the instrumental acoustic piece). Side 2 of the single is all of "part 2" without the seque from part 1.

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not likely the master version, then, hope I get to hear it sometime.

No stereo master for this one, just the way it goes. The Lp version is an edit of Parts I & II, you can even hear the editing point....

:ed:

9. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Where?

10. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

About the early US Reprise Lp--first issues did not include "Oh Well". I remember buying this some years after it was released, with the record shop owner saying you couldn't tell what was inside the jacket until you opened it. The one I bought did contain "Oh Well", so it must have been a re-cut. Did the same thing happen with European pressings?

--Roger

11. Ed Bishop

There's a slight fade at the end of Part I, and Part II then starts up. I don't think the song has ever been edited properly, both parts are just kinda put side by side on the same track. Part I can be heard on the Mac box set, if you're wondering how the 45 faded.

12. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

Amazing how one can listen to something so many times, and not really hear it. I never knew this track was never in stereo.

I have the old Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits CD from the UK (CBS 460704). This has Pts. 1 & 2 on there as separate tracks. Pt. 1 is 3:28, Pt. 2 is 5:37. I need to see if anything overlaps. But both are mono (and sound better than the Then Play On CD).

13. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Somebody should get their Warner Bros sampler The Big Ball out and see what that version of "Oh Well 1&2" is like. I don't have the sampler anymore, but I remember them saying there was something special about it. Maybe it was in stereo. :shh:

14. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member Thread Starter

Too bad. Such a dreamy sounding piece in need of some nice space. Oh well..

15. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Anyone know why no stereo master? Was it just rattled off to mono or has the stereo master disappeared? Where's Mick Fleetwood when you need him?

16. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I just listened to this and The Big Ball Version is mono.

...and the version on The Big Ball repeats that duplicted minute. I never noticed that before.

17. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

This track was only mixed to Mono...

Bob :)

18. Ed Bishop

No, mono, and listed as such in the liner notes. Oh well...:winkgrin:

19. Steve E.

While I'd imagine a stereo version could sound great, I've never found that the mono lacked anything.

20. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Bob, does that imply there *could* be multis somewhere?

21. Ed Bishop

There could be but, if so, no one's used them yet, apparently. It's a real anomaly, since just about everything else in the Blue Horizon/CBS/Reprise catalog by Mac has a stereo master.

22. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Maybe or; it could have been mixed live to Mono on a full-track machine. In the late 60's, Mono was still the preferred "mix" in the UK and the U.S. but, especially in the UK...

Bob :)

23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Some answers regarding their 1967-69 recordings are in the liner notes to the Blue Horizon releases specifically 'The Original FM', self-titled (dog & dustbin) and 'The Pious Bird..' Mike Vernon states that the multi-tracks that were found were used if possible, with the rest apparently from the 2 track masters.... except for their only two mono recordings....which happens to be the first time (1967) Peter Green recorded with just Mick & John at Decca Studios in London: Fleetwood Mac and First Train Home.

The answer for me regarding Oh Well is still a real mystery, since it was recorded in late 1969 I recall, and, is the sole mono cut in their catalog up to that point, disregarding those first two recordings which are separate.

24. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It's a strange one... it was the only mono track on The Chain boxed set too. Even the single previously unreleased track on the set from that era -- a track from the abandoned Jeremy Spencer EP -- was in stereo.

Ken

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The UK version is different from the US, the UK like the first issue US did not contain Oh Well. In addition to the 2 tracks that were removed from the 1st issue US pressing, the uk included them plus an additional 2 tracks called One Sunny Day and Without You. The current CD restores the original 2 tracks and adds Oh Well BUT One Sunny Day and Without You are still missing (although they can be found on the Import CD The Best of Fleetwood Mac an early import compilation). The CD is the same the world over.

This is one of my top 10 favorite albums. If one album deserves the Deluxe treatment this is it. They need to restore the original album and then add Oh Well, The Green Manalishi and Dragonfly singles with their B-Sides. A vinyl reissue by Steve would also be appreciated.
    Also the UK only used the original "man on horse" cover for the 1st issues, late pressings had just the lettering Fleetwood Mac Then Play On on the front cover and a band photo on the back.

Also I may be wrong BUT I thought that their was a Stereo version of Oh, Well issued on the WLP US single. Does anyone know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.