Fleetwood Mac remasters... finally!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 LP), "Rumours" (1977 LP), "Tusk" (1979 LP; all remastered and expanded)

Release date: 6/24

2. Claus, anything on the early Reprise albums: "Then Play On" "Future Games", "Bare Trees"? Those are the ones I'd like to see remastered. By the time "Fleetwood Mac" was released in 1975, I was on to other things.

3. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Mystery To Me I would like to see remastered as well. But it is good to know that the Rumors is getting the treatment . I recently purchased "The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac" and it sounds very good in my opinion.

4. Claus

Warner will do their own stuff... I haven't heard anything they will do the early records. But I'm happy they do FM and Rumours...

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it will be very interesting as to how these cd's will be "expanded".

renny

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Let's just hope they don't screw 'em up this time like they did with Rod Stewart and Van Halen.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Good news, I hope they take care with the transfers 'cause those recordings capture the 'energy' of the group at their peak.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Claus, thanks for the news. I hope these remasters will be made available in the US.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

rjp said:

Well, with Rumours, adding "Silver Springs" and the original version of "Gold Dust Woman" (with the fade-up) would be a good start. ;)

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I recall that most people liked the Rod Stewart remasters, and there were a variety of opinions about the VH remasters.

All in all, the remasters should be like the recent "Very best Of" which I like.

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I did like "Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac" as well.

The only Rod Stewart remaster I bought was "A Night On The Town." That one should inducted into the earbleeder hall of shame. That was enuff for me.

12. Grant

To me that says excessive, peaky midrange. Thanks for the warning, as I did not get that title.

13. Khorn

Hell, I just hope they use the best masters available, run 'em flat through the best most modern up-to-date A/D converter and don't screw around.

14. stever

stever Senior Member

Finally is right! This doesn't mean U.S. remasters though, does it? Do the import remasters cost more? Do the same individuals remaster for the world? How does that work?

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Pause & Play is listing these as Rhino/Warner releases, so they should be available in the US:

http://www.pauseandplay.com/cdfront.htm

I hope they add the single mixes to the appropriate albums. Some of them were quite different.

16. Claus

The upcoming remasters are US remasters... all other countries will use the same masters - I think so!

17. Grant

Keep dreaming! You just know they will boost the levels.

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thanks to this forum, I don't get very excited anymore when remasters are announced ;-). Am I the only one who thinks FLEETWOOD MAC and TUSK already sound pretty spiffy? I have the DVD-A RUMOURS so what's in it for me except maybe some bonus tracks (which would have to go on a second disc for TUSK, yes?).

19. GabeG

GabeG New Member

As I've said before, boosting levels (to take advantage of all available bits) is preferable. As long as compression isn't used to boost the level of the quieter passages and the loud passages don't cause excessive clipping.

- Gabe

20. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Maybe they will add the single mix of Say You Love Me (which didn't make it on Very Best of) to S/T. Maybe Sara will be restored to full length on Tusk.

Brian

21. Khorn

I'm referring to the conversion of the original masters from the analogue to the digital domain. The better the A/D the more ultimate resolution survives the conversion. Boosting levels equally across the spectrum might work on targets of limited dynamic range. IMHO on wide dynamic material it would "overload" most consumer systems. Selectively boosting levels would be "screwing around" to say the least.

22. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I'm not sure, but I think we're talking about the same thing. What I meant was using the maximum number of bits (by having the peaks of the signal hit just under digital 0) is a good thing - everything else being equal.

- Gabe

23. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Anyone ever pick up the Fleetwood Mac Boston Tea Party discs? I am looking for the best live or studio Peter Green stuff. I saw these along with another 1 or 2 disc set from Rhino I think. There were a couple of other discs too. I have Then Play On, and I like it. What is the best other stuff to get?

24. metal

metal Forum Resident

What's the problem with Rod Stewart remasters? I intend to buy the Foot Loose and Fancy Free and Atlantic Crossing. Care to elaborate.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

TUSK is another one of those fine-sounding Warner Brothers discs that was done right from the start: see also the original Van Morrison and Paul Simon catalogs.

"Sara" was the edited version on the original TUSK CD due to fears of a full CD not tracking on some players. This is not a moot issue; recently, I had a very full disc from a JBs anthology that would start skipping on most players as it approached the outer edge of the disc.

Considering that the remastering of the recent VERY BEST OF set is quite good, I'll be buying these Rhino editions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.