Fleetwood Mac Tour 2018/19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've quoted from Stephen Davis' bio of her last year ... and it wasn't authorized although Davis is Mick's official biographer and has been around the group for years, of course it must be taken with salt ... that tells of constant passive-aggressive behavior toward her by Lindsey since the great "reunion" in 1997, to the point where before the last tour that incarnation of the band did, she got in his face and told him that she was an old woman now, that she was tired of putting up with his caca and that if they were going to do this, he was going to have to treat her like a human being.

At the same time, again, I doubt Ms. Nicks is a jewel to get along with, either. But should we not grant a 70-year-old woman the right to, if a situation has gotten so intolerable that she simply cannot stand it anymore, say, "Enough, it's him or me."

People talk about the conflict/sparks between them being the thing that's powered FM since the 1970s. That's great for folks who just care about the tunes, who aren't in the direct firing line of those sparks and conflicts getting their asses scorched.

And I'd feel the same way if it was Stevie being passive aggressive toward Lindsey and not treating him like a human being.

To answer your question, I think it's probably a combination of a lot of things. And I'll say again ... we would not have had last night's set list with Lindsey Buckingham in the band.

OberonOz likes this.
  2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I know that Lindsey was not happy with recent greatest hits set lists though so apparently others had more say so than he did. Probably wouldn't have delved into Kirwan and Welch songs though, no. Likely no Tom Petty or Crowded House songs either.

3. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Disappointed Buckingham fan here.

As far as them playing his tunes:
    They parted with the person and not the music they produced and collectively released under as Fleetwood Mac. Plus I believe they are touting this as a complete career retrospective tour. So, it is implied some of his contributions would be played. It is arguable that they may have some obligation (as the FM torch bearers) and (possibly) entitlement.

Do you feel the same about them playing Green and Welch material?

I forgot about "moving forward" statements:
    It's funny that the initial press published statements about "moving forward" while selling a retrospective tour. LOL

I think Lindsey was right: ‘They’d Lost Their Perspective’

4. PRW94

Well, the Petty and Crowded House songs are reflections of who's in the band now.

Witchy Woman and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. PRW94

I absolutely hope they will make some new music. Neil Finn is every bit the heavyweight that Lindsey Buckingham is as an artist and songwriter, not one notch lower on the totem pole. My hope was that he might come in with a fresh perspective and metaphorically (of course) kick some people in the rear and get them to writing again.

But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, and if this is nothing more than one giant final retrospective tour and the last gasp of FM, so be it. Again, it is what it is.

somnar, SJP, beccabear67 and 3 others like this.
  6. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Very happy with the setlist, longtime Mac fan, love Split Enz, C.House and Petty too. Very nice to see I Got You in the set and a Kirwan and Welch song. Superb. Ticket price would now be the only potential barrier holding me back from seeing them when they come to the UK.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they are played on the classic rock stations now so people are familiar with them

8. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

So my perspective from the third row.

Neil Finn didn’t just play the Buckingham songs. He mimicked Lindsey even with the count offs.

The setlist sagged at the bluesy numbers in middle. Everyone’s toilet break.

Don’t Dream It’s Over was odd but brilliant.

The final song from Time would have worked better before Don’t Stop. I also think it wasn’t very successful a performance.

Stevie singing Storms but no Sara or Gypsy was a surprise.

Tusk was missing and was needed. Odd to have no Big Love but they are so Lindsey!

And I’m seeing Lindsey on first night of his tour on Sunday !

9. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

"Storms" was an unexpected choice (at least to me). One of my favourite Stevie songs.

10. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Thanks - not a huge fan, so not up on these things. It did look like a full set of traps in the original video, but I can see in some of the other shots that he's got a load of extra stuff going on there too.

11. PRW94

I'm hoping that when they get their sea legs under them on this adventure, Neil can put his own stamp on the songs.

I'm glad Stevie did Storms, IMO it's one of her two or three best songs ever. I'm not sad Gypsy is gone, IMO that is one song that they never, ever, even with Buckingham on stage, performed really well live.

Tusk is not in this band's wheelhouse IMO.

And as far as "Big Love" ... if every vestige of Lindsey's accursed live solo "El Kabong" version of "Big Love" could be removed from not just this planet, but this solar system, it would not bother me. Honestly, I'd go see him if it weren't for the strong likelihood that he'd pull that out, in which case I would not be responsible for my actions, I utterly hate and despise his live solo version of that song so badly, with the heat of a million suns.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Haven't seen the videos, but would much prefer Neil Finn to sing anything but those two songs-- makes it too much like a Ringo tour. He didn't even feel obliged to do "I Got You" with Crowded House. .

gregorya likes this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Correct, they likely won't play any Police or Squeeze or Talking Heads song either... ;)

somnar likes this.
  14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I imagine that the band knows, in fact is banking on, the fact that the casual concert goer doesn't realize that Buckingham isn't there and is unaware of any of the drama in the departure/firing, and don't know that "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Free Falling" aren't Fleetwood Mac songs...

Some of the more aware fans may say "Cool, they just covered that old Santana song"!... :)

15. PRW94

I would give my white corpuscles and half of my red ones for him and Christine to duet on "Something So Strong," because that song absolutely could've come from her pen.

16. MikeVielhaber

I know, I was joking.

PRW94 likes this.
  17. MikeVielhaber

But he had his own songs to perform with Crowded House. Without that or the Crowded House song he would sing exclusively someone else's songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. PRW94

Mick said from day one they were going to do some of Finn's prior work, this should not have caught anyone by surprise.

mikedifr0923 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If you have to stick with hit singles yes, but Finn is a rightly acclaimed career artist whose work goes way beyond his two hits. Plenty of songs he's written are great enough to fit into a Mac set-- My top choice would be "It's Only Natural" which would suit the Mac harmonies beautifully.

mikedifr0923 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Good setlist.
    Albatross and World in Harmony would be a good medley...
    Hint hint

ash1 likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I guess then doing Buckingham songs is not much different from doing Welch, Green and Kirwan songs. It's been a long run.

23. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Am I the only one who thought Black Magic Woman sounded bad? Thus, that song has been played to death by everybody it seems. But I do like the inclusion of others songs.

dirtmert and PDK like this.
  24. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

"Black Magic Woman" and "Storms" are really nice surprises. Glad to see "Gypsy" out of the setlist. They haven't been playing it well live for a long time.

Crowded Mac ... kind of pulled it off a little. Better than I expected.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

This is taking "the casual audience doesn't know anything" to absurd extremes....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.