Fleetwood Mac with Christine back is amazing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chewy, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Is there a better vocal on that album than Christine's vocal on "Songbird"? I can see your point about her aloof style on some songs, though. But she has a beautiful voice.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

OK, but Patrick Swayze has a bigger noggin. Or at least he did. RIP, compadre. (That's a Point Break reference, btw).

Hey, I'm going to this show on the 3rd. I saw them in 2003 but McVie (the Christine one) wasn't in the lineup and I'm a hopeless completist. I'll be sure and give all you Mac Daddies here a report after the show. I hope Lindsey does his solo acoustic "Big Love" and then plays the entirety of Gift Of Screws. I know the latter has no chance of happening, but that's what I'm hoping for.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    willy and Davido like this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I saw the show in Newark, eighth row on Lindsay's side. It was terrific. Highly recommended.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"I never did believe..." was the one thing Christine struggled with a little at the show I saw last week. It's a high note for an older lady and they put the song almost at the beginning of the show. But she doesn't shy away from it like Stevie would.

5. wavethatflag

OK, so I went to the show last night in Oakland. It was really good, better than the one I saw in 2003 without Christine because, well, she's vocals on a considerable amount of their songbook. It's almost hard to believe they soldiered on without her for 16 years. Stevie sounded great at 68 (hard to believe these people are that old). She makes no attempt at the high notes, but that's pretty much how I remember 2003, anyway. She told a couple long but interesting stories about coming up in the music biz, and they were enhanced by the fact that she went to Menlo-Atherton High School which isn't too far from Oakland--across the bridge and down the Peninsula, so there was sort of a homecoming angle to the proceedings.

C. McVie sounds great, hasn't lost much at all vocally, if anything, and I guess she's 71? Wow. Mick Fleetwood did a drum solo during "World Turning" and wore a mic through it and kept asking the crowd "Are you with me?" and otherwise did a mad Englishman routine behind the kit I found entertaining.

I'm a fan of Lindsey's odd picking style of playing, that and his production are the main reasons I like this band. So, he can do no wrong performance-wise by me.

I'm always wary of aging bands on the road, but if you're on the fence with this one, you should go. They've still got it.

They have six additional musicians on the stage-- three back up vocalists, a keyboardist/guitarist, a guitarist and some additional percussion. As far as I could see, these hired hands, which were all introduced by Mick (except the additional percussion guy, for some reason, although of all the additional musicians he was on stage the least) were really just filling out the sound and I never got the sense the core five were leaning on them in a way that took away from the quality of their individual performances.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

ug. trying to work on the link.><iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r5WINLAccBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was downright psychedelic. So happy to have been there to see it live....

7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

They'd be even more amazing with Peter, Danny and Jeremy.
    Actually , no they probably wouldn't anymore. Christine it is then. Enjoy.

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Is Christine doing most of the keys or is there another guy in the back?

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Lindsey came back and stayed and I assume he plans on the band going on indefinitely so I don't think it's unreasonable, given her age and her previous feelings about touring and fear of flying, to put it out there that they want her to come back, but it's for good and not just on a whim. She came out of retirement for this.

WalkAThinLine likes this.
  10. wavethatflag

I'd say she does the majority of the keyboard playing, with the other guy filling the sound out. She rocked the solo on Don't Stop and did the last song, Songbird, solo on a baby grand (I think it was s baby grand, anyway).

I'd also say the primary purpose of the backing band is to fill the sound out and render it somewhat "album track" quality, as opposed to a sparer sound if it was just the five. It's enhancing, not crutch-like. The last time I saw The Who in the same arena, on the other hand...

I'm not a Mac fanboy by any means, if I thought they were using the additional musicians to cover up what they no longer can or want to do, I'd report it here.

11. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I saw them on opening night and really enjoyed the show. I did however feel the Christine's voice had a hard time filling the arena, it just seemed a little weak. Maybe they've adjusted the sound or quite possible her voice has gotten stronger as they progress into the tour.

12. wavethatflag

It wasn't anything close to weak last night, but I can see where that could happen, esp. on an opening night regardless of age. That said, I don't think most performers in their late 60s or early 70s are going to possess the same level of consistency show to show as they did in their 30s or 40s.

JDeanB likes this.
  13. Squealy

Christine isn't a belter -- I don't imagine her mellow voice ever really came through as strongly as the others'.

As much as Christine writes hits and makes the band complete and is beloved by the audience, I found her songs tended not to be as dynamic onstage as Lindsey and Stevie's. They tend to be pretty laid back. I thought that watching them and I've thought that listening to their live releases.

14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

If I do see them again, it will be to see Christine

Tree of Life and CybrKhatru like this.
  15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've decided to skip disjointed and poorly punctuated posts. that look like texts from a 14 year old. Beginning with this one.

16. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Saw my first Fleetwood Mac show (!) a couple months ago in Columbus, Ohio. Honestly, I went in with low expectations- just wanted to catch them once before they retired. It turned out to be one of my favorite concerts of the year. Seemed like everyone in the band was giving 100% and the audience responded in kind. A great evening.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

While this lineup of FM has a soft spot in my heart I wont be seeing them Im sure. Just too expensive to consider and I saw them in their prime anyway.

Better be thankful that you can see them now even if they do have some age on those classic voices of the 70s. Think of all the groups that will no longer exist in ten years or less. FM will be one of them.

Im more interested in a good album from them than seeing them. I hope they take as much time as they need to make a catchy album and not some overly "serious" album that has no hooks, little melody and no magic. It will most likely be their last.

And as far as Christines voice being boring or whatever is being said, thats silly. She always had one of the sexiest yearning endearing voices in FM. Love how her voice has this rich deep quality to it. No one sounds like her. Weak link? Uh no. They arent FM without her. No one knows that better than Stevie and Lindsey.

18. wavethatflag

I agree with you as to the price of this show. I paid $118 for one of the cheapest seats in the arena that didn't have an obstructed view or was not behind the stage. Thank the rock concert gods for Canon image stabilizing binoculars--see all the stage action from the cheap seats.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Tree of Life likes this.
  19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

She is my favorite member of Fleetwood Mac. It was tough listening to Say You Will!!!

Carserguev likes this.
  20. Squealy

They've added 11 more North American dates for next year... I can't believe they're coming back to Vancouver again, this is the third year in a row they've been here.

Due to overwhelming demand, eleven new shows have been added to Fleetwood Mac's 2015 'On With The Show' tour in the US.

American Express card members can purchase tickets before the general public beginning Tuesday, Dec. 9 at 10 a.m. through Sunday, Oct. 19 at 10 p.m. local time. Tickets go on sale starting Thursday, Dec. 13 at 10 a.m. local time for The Forum in Los Angeles on April 10. All other dates go on sale Monday, Dec. 15 at 10 a.m. local time.

A complete Fleetwood Mac itinerary listing current dates and additional shows can be found in the TOUR section.

NEWLY ANNOUNCED ON WITH THE SHOW TOUR DATES
    3/3/2015 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
    3/4/2015 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
    3/21/2015 - Miami, FL @ American Airlines Arena
    3/23/2015 - Orlando, FL @ Amway Center
    3/25/2015 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
    4/1/2015 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
    4/4/2015 - Vancouver, BC @ Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena
    4/6/2015 - Bakersfield, CA @ Rabobank Arena
    4/7/2015 - Oakland, CA @ Oracle Arena
    4/10/2015 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
    4/11/2015 - Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena

21. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

This is awesome. I had to sell my tickets for the upcoming Dallas show because I have to leave for Paris on a last-minute business trip that day. March 4 will be my second chance!

22. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

My wife took these at last Saturday's L.A. Forum show. An amazing night. Buckingham was on fire--"I'm So Afraid" was a melter.

[​IMG]

23. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

Mick forgot to introduce John McVie at the show I went to. He started the countoff and everyone else looked confused, and he apologized at least twice!

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was watching videos at the early stages of the tour, and she improved markedly during the first 5-10 shows. She wasn't bad in Chicago to begin with (considering a 15+ year layoff), but she sounded even better the following week.

I somehow managed to pull up amazing seats at regular (non-VIP) price for a show next summer at the O2 Arena in London, so I pulled the trigger. We'll be on family holiday - the daughters will see Taylor Swift at Hyde Park; the parents will see Fleetwood Mac at the O2 (and I get to see the Who at Hyde Park the night before). Should be an unbelievable weekend.

Fullbug likes this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I saw them in Portland on Nov. 22. The rest of the band thanked Christine twice for coming out of retirement and she got a standing ovation. It was such a good show that it has reinvigorated me to going to concerts again, after taking about ten years off. I had such a great time I got tickets for the Foo Fighters next September.

MikaelaArsenault and davers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.