Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace coming on 180g & SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmil, Feb 23, 2017.

1. marmil

marmil It's such a long story... Thread Starter

2. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Tempting...

IR Shane and melstapler like this.
  3. Hot Burrito #2

Hot Burrito #2 Well-Known Member

Yeah!!!

I'm excited. As you might be able to guess by my username, this is one of my favorite albums of all time. Unfortunately, the only vinyl copy I've been able to procure up to this point is the one put out by 4 Men with Beards, which is mediocre at best, and my A&M CD copy doesn't sound truly spectacular either. (By the way, I assume this means 4 Men with Beards' contract with this album has run out.) For years I just assumed it was poorly recorded, until I started reading this forum and heard people talking about how great the original vinyl LP sounded. As a result, I feel like I've never gotten to hear this album in its full glory.

This guy Kevin Gray who remastered the album has a pretty good reputation, right? I'm not enough of a true audiophile to be an expert in these matters.

IR Shane, melstapler and seaisletim like this.
  4. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Kevin Gray is a class act. :righton:

dkurtis, IR Shane, FashionBoy and 7 others like this.
  5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm definitely getting the SACD:cheers:

6. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm totally down with this.

By the by, can anyone point me to a Gram on SACD thread hereabouts?

IR Shane likes this.
  7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I just picked up a 70s pressing last weekend. Now I'm tempted to hear this new cut...

IR Shane likes this.
  8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

IR Shane, melstapler and shepherdfan like this.
  9. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Saw this today and really looking forward to the vinyl. I bought the 4MWB version and like all of their stuff it is crap. Intervention has done a very nice job with all of their releases so far.

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Release date please ?

IR Shane likes this.
  11. LP in May 2017 and SACD in second half of year via the Intervention website.

IR Shane, DmitriKaramazov and John D. like this.
  12. New Record Label: Intervention Records

Lots of discussion on this title and other Intervention titles at this thread above, too. Forum member IR Shane of Intervention frequently keeps us "up to speed" with the details.

IR Shane and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  13. I already have the Edsel / Demon LP reissue from the mid-80's and that sounds very good. I wonder how this one will compare?

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I wished Audio Fidelity or MFSL would offer the same detailed infos about the tape sources.

IR Shane, PBo and supermd like this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I have a feeling they don't sell outside of the US. I just tried to buy an lp and it said there were no shipping options available for my cart or destination. I tried with a US address I used to live at and it gave me shipping options.

I think this post in the other thread about Intervention Records might explain it:

New Record Label: Intervention Records

I'm guessing we'll have to buy from other retailer willing to ship to Canada. I notice that this lp is up for pre-order from Elusive Sounds, Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds. But they all have high shipping charges. No mention of SACD though.

IR Shane likes this.
  16. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

This reminds of the story that Ralph Emery had The Gilded Palace Of Sin tacked on the wall outside of his office at WSM and with a big red pen it said "This is NOT country music" Today it is more country than anything I hear on a mainstream "country" radio station.

17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

What did Ralph know but drug stores and truck driving?

18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Well, he's got him a medal he won in the war......

19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Just acquired a first press months ago still in shrink thinking this would never happen. Will be double dipping...

IR Shane likes this.
  20. mraulino

mraulino Forum Resident

IR Shane likes this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I meant on the Intervention Records website. I should've written that. But I found it subsequently on there. But still no great purchase options. Music Direct charges just as much to send me the SACD as they do for the actual SACD and since they send it via Fedex I'm certain I'll get hit with taxes at the border.

So unless I can get this on Amazon.ca or ebay, it'll be out of reach.

lightbulb and IR Shane like this.
  22. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Will this not be sold by vendors whom ship to Europe like Amazon an Importcds for instance? I don't want to pay the same price for shipping as for the actual Sacd. Is there a reasonable solution somewhere?

bobcat and IR Shane like this.
  23. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

Yes, of course – a couple of weeks after I found and bought a Canadian reissue.:sigh: Now I’m wondering if the Kevin Gray cut will be better.

IR Shane likes this.
  24. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

An original Monarch has been on my want list for a long time.

IR Shane and melstapler like this.
  25. radiogod

radiogod Forum Resident

IR Shane, Lightworker and Classicolin like this.