For CAKE fans -- RSD boxed set news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I probably should but haven't. Thought I would just settle for what it is. My PtM is still not up to par. If you want to email, I'll send one too.

2. DreadPirateWendi

DreadPirateWendi Well-Known Member

I emailed Manzi about the Live LP that I received (ordered when I missed out on the box, thinking something's better than nothing... and then they announced the re-pressing. d'oh), telling him about the intolerable amount of surface noise, missing out on the box, and the concern I had with quality of the future pressing, and he apologised, forwarded my messages to Brooklyn Phono and had them send a full refund, assuring me that they were working closely with BP on quality control of the second pressing of the box.... wondering if everyone who got replacements simply received leftovers from the flawed first pressing and the second pressing will actually be worth investing in? Kind of hoping this is the case! I'd keep on them if you're not 100% satisfied.

3. williaty

williaty Forum Resident

I'm trying to decide what I'm doing now. No help from Brooklyn, Manzi has been silent for 2 weeks, ConneXtion says the resolution is up to Manzi... I'm pretty quickly coming up on credit card chargeback time :(

4. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

I think I'll do that this weekend. Probably make it clear that 1.)MoG is great, no errors; 2.) FN and CE (?-can't remember the second one at the moment) are noisier than they should be, but are acceptable; 3.) PtM and SoC have the exact same problems as the first go-round and need to be replaced--after the repress.

I'm just worried that they think I'm looking for absolute perfection and am being unreasonable with my expectations, which is not the case.

5. serge

serge Forum Resident

you guys pay for this trouble?

masochists...all of you!

MikeyP, EasterEverywhere and tyler928 like this.
  6. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

I'm beginning (?) to feel this way.

7. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

And what would be the problem if you were? I would be firing people left and right if they did this poor quality work in my profession. Why should making records be any different?

8. williaty

williaty Forum Resident

Well, my saga with this is resolved. I have 4 records that play, 8 (two of each) that don't, and a refund. With that, the whole nightmare comes to an end.

9. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I have a couple I still need to check (B-sides and Live), but the only reshipped record I had an issue with was PtM, which sucks because it's probably my favorite album of theirs. The thing that gets me is that the issues with the reship are EXACTLY the same as the original.

10. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Well, I have written regarding a second round of replacements for PtM and SoC. I asked them to hold off until the second pressing... We'll see what happens.

11. generalpatton

generalpatton New Member

Cake is opening the presale tomorrow for the reissue of this set - $99 bucks plus $35 shipping (or thereabouts). Despite all the problems everyone has reported, I'm still going to take the plunge. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they resolve the issue with this second pressing.

12. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I would take the plunge. Sounds better than waiting in line six hours to assure a Cake box set for RSD not knowing that it will be available from a cozy chair in front of my computer. A few keystrokes and a click or two on the mouse and then it arrives at your door.
    Well worth the risk IMO.

Claxton likes this.
  13. generalpatton

generalpatton New Member

True - that and the fact that many record stores were price-gouging for this set on RSD and that's if you could find one. My record store said they were getting 2 but I only saw one and that was snapped up by someone in front of me in line. I guess the other one got snapped up by one of the employees before the rest of us got a chance. I saw it priced at $139.99 + tax but have read about others that priced them much higher. Cake is doing a good thing by attempting to take care of it's fans by re-issuing this - I might think about buying one just to thumb my nose at the opportunism that RSD has become but lucky for me I love Cake so I don't have to worry about pulling the trigger for any other reason than that.

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. fly4x4

fly4x4 Forum Resident

I just received my pre order email!

15. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Yes, just saw these are going back up on pre-order. delivery in September.

16. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

So it came via Canada Post? Did they hit you with taxes and the CP handling fee?

17. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

They dont make it clear that those sets on backorder from the last round will be filled this time. Logic says it would be but this whole thing has been so botched that I will have to email and ask. It shows still as on backorder. Delivery is not until Sept, bloody long wait.

18. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

Though I'm sure it has been mentioned....the box set can now be pre-ordered.

19. DreadPirateWendi

DreadPirateWendi Well-Known Member

Worth the wait if Brooklyn Phono's actually paying closer attention to quality control this time around! I'd also imagine they'll be keeping this pre-order open for a month or more, to get the word out and get in as many orders as possible, holding off on production until they have a more solid number to work with. Some of us have been waiting since long before RSD 2013. We've already waited this long, what's another few months?

20. generalpatton

generalpatton New Member

This question was asked in the Facebook post and they replied that the back orders would be filled with this batch

21. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

They may shut down production in the summer heat...

22. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

Canada Post - no taxes, no extra fees.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I would love to here from Brooklyn Phono on how QC problems will be handled this time.

24. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Hope you are right. People who returned LP's from their sets and waited for replacements received LP's with the same issues so we'll see. I am one of those many who has been waiting and waiting...

Thanks for the confirmation, hopefully I will get an email confirmation.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought about this all night and despite the fact I really wanted this box se (started this thread!) I think I'm going to pass on this box set. This Brooklyn Phono sounds like a mom and pop operation, and while I applaud their record making efforts, I want the vinyl for superior sound. If these discs don't deliver that, then there's no point. I know CAKE is a very green-minded group, but I could live without the recycled vinyl which may be in part behind the noisy pressings. I found an article where Brooklyn Sound said it pressed 5,000 LPs for CAKE for RSD. I anticipate this run being even bigger and I'm nervous QC will be just as bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.