For CAKE fans -- RSD boxed set news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Wish they chose Pallas USA as their pressing plant....

MikeyP likes this.
  2. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Agree to some degree Chad but surely they will take the time to make improvements and do it properly? All the returns must have been very expensive and messy to deal with so they have a big incentive to get round 2 right and make some $$ without the hassle. By all accounts the mastering is top notch if you can get a noise free pressing. I am still in, I have been keen since you first posted this thread and will take my chances.

3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Well, the first two replacement LPs (out of five) have the same problems as their predecessors: very noisy.

4. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Man, I hate to hear of all your problems, my sympathies. I hope a new run will cure all these problems.

I was excited to post that I got my 1st chance to hear these records on my good TT and preamp this weekend (it had been out of commission for a couple of months) and all my records are fantastic! They all play relatively flawlessly, a stray click and a little surface noise here and there, but they were so good I didn't bother taking note because it was gone before ya knew it. The bass on these records is amazing, the instrument separation, distinct and precise, vocals perfectly centered. Outstanding mastering. A few of the B-side cuts and the Live LP are a little thinner than the studio albums proper but not terribly so.

Some clicks at the beginning of Crystal Palace turned out to be a thread from the edge trimming and what sounded like non-fill at the end of one side turned out to be a dust bunny on my stylus, which is odd because I cleaned them all in my KLAudio ultrasonic cleaned (thanks Kim!).

At $99 I feel like the set is an incredible bargin and worth a roll of the dice on the 2nd run of LPs.

DreadPirateWendi likes this.
  5. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I posted above that the first two replacement LPs that I played had the same problems as the original LPs. I've finally had a chance to listen to these LPs in their entirety and would like to qualify that: they both had record noise on track one of side one. I checked my notes (I usually record problems that I hear when I get box sets: anal, but it's hard to remember all the issues some times with 5-15 LP box sets) and I'd say that those two LPs are MUCH better than the first two, perhaps 75% better. The original LPs had a lot more record noise and pops and ticks. The new ones are much more quiet and only have record noise on the first track of side 1 of Comfort Eagle and is a bit worse (somewhat louder and longer lasting) on the first track of side 1 of Fashion Nugget. If the remaining three replacement LPs are this good, I'll probably keep the box set. Not perfect, but close enough these days.

So, somewhat better news.

6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I sold my Cake boxset, the buyer was happy (a collector I assume). They should have pressed this at a more reputable plant for better quality control. Finished with the Cake!

MikeyP and EasterEverywhere like this.
  7. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Finally made it through my last remaining reships (B-Sides and Live). Big improvements from the originals. My only issue is with Prolonging. I have emailed Brooklyn Phono to see if a replacement from the newest batch would be possible.

8. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

By coincidence, I listened to my replacement LP of Prolonging last night. The original LP has a lot of noise in the first minute of side one and then some pops and ticks throughout side one. Side two is perfect. The replacement LP is almost the exact opposite: side one is almost perfect and side two has pops and ticks throughout (and a scratch in one song). I guess if I keep both of them, I'll have a good copy? :)

I agree with your assessment: the replacement LPs (aside from Prolonging) have been a big improvement over the originals.

The only replacement LP left to listen to is Showroom and the first couple of tracks sounded great with no issues last night.

9. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

Finally back to playing/ evaluating the rest of these records (RSD press).
    B-sides playing now.
    Review to follow.

10. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

2LPs listened to last night.

RSD Box

B-Sides & Rarities, Opaque red vinyl with white swirl.
    No visible flaws. Slight warp, approx 4mm, does not affect play.
    Both sides played well straight out of sleeve. Slight intermittent background noise. Overall very good.

Live from The Crystal Palace, Translucent dark grey vinyl with black swirls.
    No visible flaws, no warp. Clean straight out of sleeve.
    Possibly the quietest record so far, ironic, considering it's a live recording.

11. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

As we're getting to the tail end of September with no news about when the boxes will ship (other than by end of September) I'm bumping this as I'm getting impatient and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

12. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Man, that bites. Hope you get it soon. Listened to mine 2 weeks ago and it's fantastic.

13. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I would have lost my mind waiting for these having paid that long ago. Insane!

14. Ash76

The good news is they haven't debited us yet but I'm still going slightly insane. I didn't even get an email confirmation, just a confirmation on the web site when I placed the order

groovelocked likes this.
  15. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

That's good- I thought they already had everyone's money. I hope you guys also get the bonus single or something a little extra for the wait and frustration.

16. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I hope they get good pressings.

Ash76, GentleSenator and groovelocked like this.
  17. Stullyca

Stullyca Forum Resident

I'm getting antsy as well - really looking forward to this box set. I did receive an email confirmation from the Cake store when I placed the order. I fired off an email tonight asking for a status update - will post an update if I get a response.

Ash76 likes this.
  18. Ash76

That's what I'm hoping - that they learn from the RSD box and get it right

19. Ash76

I got an email from the Cake store yesterday and got excited til I realised they were just pushing t-shirts

20. Stullyca

Stullyca Forum Resident

I had the same reaction - I thought I was getting a shipping notice!

21. Ash76

Just found this response from Cake on Facebook about 8 hours ago to requests for information about the box:

The CAKE vinyl LP box sets will ship from our Addison, TX fulfillment center within 10-14 days.

Stullyca likes this.
  22. Stullyca

Stullyca Forum Resident

Just got an email from the Cake Store confirming that orders will ship the first week of October. :)

GabeL likes this.
  23. DreadPirateWendi

DreadPirateWendi Well-Known Member

I just contacted The ConneXtion last week, and I asked them when the CAKE box will ship, and if there will be tracking. Here is their response:

"this will ship by the end of this month(September)/first week of next (October), yes, there is a tracking number. you will get an email to alert you that it has shipped

thanX,
    theconneXtion crew"

Stiiiiiilllllll waiting!

24. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the update, I was wondering about this last week. With the time taken for the repress and all the problems with the first attempt I expect nothing less than perfection :evil:

Ash76 likes this.
  25. Ash76

Just received an email saying shipping has commenced but to be patient as they have a lot to ship

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.