For some reason, seeing BARRY GIBB on Saturday Night Live last night made my week..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And it would kind of kill the comedy to have "Robin" now be dead.

But I thought they were done with it too -- when JT hosted the show last time, less than a year after Robin died, he didn't bring Jimmy upstairs for it and I figured they had decided it would be best to retire it.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

SNL did the Harry Carey sport announcer(Will Ferrell?)skit after he died.

3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The guy has a charm and charisma about him that is hard not to be attracted to. I am glad to know he is still out there knockin it around, can't be easy after losing a couple of his brothers.
    I didn't see it but I am sure I would have smiled too at seeing him.

4. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

Well you see, they started a joke.................

Mr E, theMess, vonwegen and 6 others like this.
  5. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Whatever Madonna was reaching for didn't work. Brief pause (I think she forgot a line) - move on with no laughter. Then when Justin and Jimmy got up to do the final dance, Madonna ducked down and looked like she fled the set. Who knows?

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

She got some flak for appearing to take out her phone and start texting, but she was actually posting a picture of Fallon, Timberlake and Gibb.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Me too - loved seeing Barry. And the deep hug that he and Fallon shared at the end.

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Plus, Barry's deep hug with McCartney at the end while the credits rolled was nice, particularly in light of their respective losses of loved ones and their common history with NEMS and Brian Epstein, and Robert Stigwood's attempt, stopped by the Beatles, to buy out Brian and take over NEMS. Bet they've got a lot of memories together. As I'm sure many of you know, the Gibbs wrote and recorded a great song, In the Summer of His Years, in early 1968 as a tribute to Brian after his passing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Hep Alien, theMess and chewy like this.
  9. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

There was a "lightness" to the show that hasn't happened much in the last couple of years. Paul and Jimmy seem to have good chemistry.

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It was great to see Barry again, but, it just as sadly said to me, that The Bee Gees are truly gone forever.

Hep Alien and jupiter8 like this.
  11. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Another vote for Madonna lookin' very good, her face looks amazing and natural, she's doing something right>It was a enjoyable show~!

sean

12. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Me, too. Sole survivor of a very talented band of brothers. I'm still amazed at how successfully they reinvented themselves in the '70s. That not only took lots of talent, but it took lots of saavy, too. My hat's off to Barry.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

14. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Barry needs a new 'do - c'mon.....stringy on a balding head looks ridiculous.

heatherly likes this.
  15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

True. But, I saw Barry Gibb at the Grand Ole Opry last year and plan to see him when he comes to the U.S. next year. I'm happy he is embracing the idea of continuing to play in honor of all those he lost. And for people like me who never got to see the Bee Gees back in the day. BTW, his voice still sounds great.

16. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I agree RockWizard. My wife asked me if that was Barry Gibb and I said I didn't think so. Thought he looked a little funny/different.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...MACCA needs to go away until the NEXT winter Olympics...I'm actually starting to like the guy less and less as he prostitutes himself out at every opportunity he gets. Paul, you're a LEGEND go away and give yourself some mystery again. As much as I love you I don't need to see you somewhere every 24 hours!!!

And for Fallon, the guy is as phony as it gets. The perfect celebrity/personality for the era where even the kid who finishes last at something gets a championship trophy.

17. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

It was nice seeing Barry. But the actual skit was not up to previous standards...and IMO it was because of the "reverence" for Madonna. She diminishes anything she's involved in and this was no exception for me.

18. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Most interested in this question:

When, if ever (after the late 60s), was McCartney photographed with or even in the same room (awards shows don't count) Barry Gibb?

It's gotta be a little weird - because you know the Gibbs at least met the Beatles a couple times back in the day due to their association with Brian.

That said - how would the Beatles have turned out if Stigwood ended up managing them instead of Eastman or Klein?

theMess likes this.
  19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Harsh words, considering that in all liklihood, within the next 10 years, he will no longer be among us. I'm glad to often see him out and about, still sharing his good vibes with the world.

Brudy, JDeanB, theMess and 5 others like this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yeah, the whole Robin thing was mighty strange. Maybe they don't realize ... ?

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

There is a man whose hand I would be honored to shake. Barry, along with his late brothers, accomplished amazing things, and at this point in Barry's life, he deserves to be treated with the utmost respect and recognition.

jupiter8 and heatherly like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Paul is also forgiving the Sgt. Pepper movie.

theMess and markbrow like this.
  23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Takes a big man to do that!

TallBen and theMess like this.
  24. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Thinking Paul, given his veggie lifestyle and of course access to the world's best health care, will be around longer than that.

I'm still placing my bets on, in 30 years or so, Keith Richards being the world's oldest living man.

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Who is Kubric? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.