? for Steve - Band On The Run DCC - Take 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

Steve -

At the urging of some board members, I have been re-evaluating my suggestion that the 25th Anniversary remaster of Band On The Run was superior to the DCC edition. Needless to say, I will be recanting my remarks. I do think Calbi and Emerick used a different tape, but the DCC does truly outshine all other comers - especially on the acoustic tracks.

Can you shed any light on what source tape you used for your remaster of Band On The Run - did it come from the US or the UK?

Was 'Helen Wheels' already on the reel, or did you drop it in to place? I noticed that the DCC fades to black between all of the tracks, while the 25th Anniversary does not.

Can you provide any insight to the hot pot on the intro of 'Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five', and why it's on some copies and not the others?

Thanks -

Chip Madinger

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Chip,

I'll try and remember....

I used a tape from Abbey Road. It was on British Scotch 201 (or so sez my notes). "Helen Wheels" was not on the reel. That was from another tape.

That clipped intro was on the tape. A piece had fallen off or a splice point had broken loose. Since fixed with a digital workstation I have no doubt.

Glad you liked my version. I spent a lot of time getting to sound as good as possible...

Oh, I had Capitol's tape copy as well, and it sounded the same tonally as the British tape, but a bit hissier. So, even though the British version was in much worse shape, I used it....

Great album, not so great mix...

Hope this helps.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ok, so now this begs the question: If the British tape was in much worse shape, and you used it, how the heck did you get such a fantastic sounding CD from an inferior tape when everyone else with supposedly better tapes can't even come close to you?

Huh?

Ok, I know you won't answer that - I was really just trying to compliment you - as others have done a million times - on your work. It is just so amazing....!!!!

Do you have any stories on my favorite McCartney CD: Venus and Mars? Did you ever meet Sir Paul?

Chip, I have R R Speedway as well as Band on the Run, Venus and Mars and they are all amazing.... !!!

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh... were these McCartney releases done on vinyl too?

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No, sadly. :cry:

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I picked up a used copy of that a few weeks back (had the picture insert and outer jacket - yea!) - much, much nicer than the Capitol copy I had and dumped long ago...

7. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I just got my DCC pressing of Venus and Mars over the weekend, and I am very happy with it! It was so refreshing to hear some top end and even tape hiss. I got so sick of that squashed, No-Noised UK remaster that I started hunting for a cheap copy on eBay. Good job, Steve!

8. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

I managed to get hold of the UK original (disc made in japan). Sounds very nice. I would like to know how it sounds against the DCC.

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Band on the Run

Steve,
    Do you know why the tape was in poor shape? I thought Abbey Road took great care of their tapes. Are the Beatle masters in good shape?
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.