Former Actor Jake Lloyd Charged In High-Speed Chase

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Texastoyz, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident Thread Starter

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/star-wars-star-arrested-carolina-high-speed-chase-200515584.html

WALTERBORO, S.C. (AP) — A former child actor who starred in one of the "Star Wars" movie sequels faces charges after leading South Carolina deputies on a high-speed chase.

Colleton County Sheriff's deputies on Wednesday arrested a 26-year-old man they confirmed through a former talent agent was Jake Lloyd, who played a young Anakin Skywalker in the 1999 movie "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace," Sgt. Kyle Strickland said Sunday.

The man gave his name as Jake Broadbent, Strickland said. The man's birthdate matched the actors' listed by movie database IMDB.com and a hometown of Fort Collins, Colorado, where Lloyd was born.

The man was charged with failing to stop for officers and reckless driving after hitting speeds over 100 miles an hour, Strickland said.

Deputies in coastal Charleston County initially tried to stop the fleeing vehicle early Wednesday afternoon, but quit chasing after the man drove into neighboring Colleton County, Sheriff's Office Major Eric Watson said Sunday.

The chase lasted for more than 25 miles before Lloyd drove off Interstate 95, plowed through a fence, and continued speeding along a parallel frontage road, authorities said. The road ended at a dead end, but the vehicle kept going into a wooded area before it hit several small trees and stopped.

The man had not posted bond and remained in jail Sunday, Strickland said.

Lloyd said in a 2012 interview that the role he performed when he was 10 years old made his youth hellish because he was bullied by other children. His last acting credit was in 2005, according to IMDB.com.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-star-busted-wild-car-chase-article-1.2266151

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...isode-i-star-arrested-after-car-chase-2015216

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Driving with a high midichlorian count will get you pulled over.

3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

You just know that Mr. Lloyd had a friend in the back seat egging him on with Star Wars quotes like "Why don’t you outrun them? I thought you said this thing was fast!" ;)

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He should've made the jump to light speed.

5. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Sargent Valorum: Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?

Captain Binks: Yousa thinking yousa not ganna die? Whena yousa thinking you are in trouble? Yoosa should listen to me now, okeeday? If not.. how wude!

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Still probably more entertaining than the podrace scene.

brew ziggins and IDwithnoE like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

"Now this is podracing!"

mBen989 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think there may be a clue in this thread as to why he's having some issues.

Solaris likes this.
  9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I bet he's been trying to blame his failure in Phantom Menace on Jake Broadbent, too.

10. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I thought of that before posting, but when it comes down to it: troubled child actor or not, you don't lead police on a high-speed chase where you seriously risk your own life and the lives of others. No matter how much the guy feels royally screwed over by the Star Wars association, dem's da rules.

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

You don`t need to see his identification.......

hi_watt and Ghostworld like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think he was screwed over by Star Wars. I think a lot of child actors are crushed when their success and career rapidly end and they can't find any fame or work as an adult. There are a thousand kid actor stories like this in Hollywood, some of which ended very badly (like the Rusty Hamer story).

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Force was not on his side on that day.

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

According to my son (the Con goer) and rare interviews I've heard. He has no good memories of Star Wars, he does not care for Star Wars fans, and has little to do with them. He HAS shown up at the rare convention, where he impresses the paying guests with his rudeness and distain. Son says he is the worst interview he has ever seen. When reminded he was being paid to be there he said "I don't have to like it".
    This kid got run over by the Star Wars juggernaut. He is damaged goods now. It started when he was still a little kid with bullying of the "star" by other kids.
    I like Mara Wilson(Matilda). She grew up into a nice person with a good head on her shoulders. Not trying to be a star either she has established an on line presence. Loved her cameo on Nostalgia Critic.

15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

long way down

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very sad to see what has become of him.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Suck it up and get your act together, Jake.

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

And shorter too.

JuanTCB and Laservampire like this.
  19. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Poor bastard never recovered from growing up and becoming Hayden Christensen.

heatherly and Laservampire like this.
  20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

War And Peace would be shorter...

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The guy has had 16 years of people telling him how terrible he was in Phantom Menace and how he ruined Star Wars. Imagine being constantly reminded of and criticized for something you did when you were eight years old. Yeah, he sucked in the movie and he shouldn't be driving drunk but I can empathize with his situation.

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I remember seeing an interview around the time of "Phantom Menace" with an entertainment reporter who went on about what a little jerk he was, how pretentious, rude, etc. and how she predicted one day he'd have his own "E! True Hollywood Story". Pretty harsh way to talk about a kid, I thought at the time, but she must have been on to something.

23. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

He single- handedly ruined Star Wars? Who started that rumour, George Lucas?

24. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Yippee!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.