Found a couple of old 35mm cameras

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaceboy, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend some film for them? And how much does it cost to get them processed these days?

longdist01 and Dude111 like this.
  2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Go to a camera store and find out

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I love those cameras :)

GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!!!!!!

4. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Maybe 10 bucks for a roll of film and 10 bucks to process...? That's what it was last time I did it, its been a while.

Spaceboy and longdist01 like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Camera store?

6. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Depending on your city, yes, camera stores. We have an excellent one here in DC: new and used cameras for sale and on-site film processing.

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

make and model?

8. arley

arley Forum Resident

If you are into color photography, I have found that slide film (a.k.a. 'color reversal') films give better color saturation than color print (a.k.a. color negative) films. Slide film is a little more finicky about exposure than negative film, though. My favorite was Fuji Provia (once Kodachrome was discontinued). However, a slide projector is hard to find these days. (Kodak stopped making them years ago.) Many film processing services will also make a digital file for you when processing the film so you can manipulate the image in Photoshop or whatever.

All films have an inverse relationship between speed and grain: fine grain films tend to be slower, and fast films tend to have more pronounced grain.

If you don't have a local source for film, a good online source for film is B&H.

B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

EdgardV and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I work with a woman who runs a state sales and basically 35 millimeter cameras - even excellent ones - sell for scrap value these days. I don't know any photographers still working in 35mm.

longdist01, Michael and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Michael

probably the famous ones...the average Joe can no longer afford 35mm photography...Digital photography has come a long way!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Kodak Ektar 100 seems to be the top these days.

I sold a Canon AE-1 last year and actually got a fair price.

12. Chris DeVoe

I know several photographers in Kansas City, and all of them converted to digital years ago. Their last time touching film was scanning their slides into digital files.

EdgardV, longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Michael

there ya go. : ) thanks...

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Michael

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    snowman872, EdgardV and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

One of them's the photographer for a major sports team, and the other creates the brand identity for a nationally-known wine. now of course I'm probably biased because I've been doing computer support for these guys, but every working photographer I know is digital entirely.

Maybe it will have a re-birth among Trilby wearing hipsters, but I kind of doubt it.

Some of the ones I know do still really nice chemical photographic rigs, but none of them have dark rooms anymore, and they definitely don't earn a living with it.

I think in the future they will probably date the death of chemical photography with the death of Bill Cunningham.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

you are most likely correct...I love digital photography...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like shooting with film.

But...

The question is, what is the point???

You purchase the film, you take your shots, you pay to have the film processed and you pay to have prints made.

OR

Get a digital camera, take as many photos as you want. Take unlimited shots, because it costs ZERO to do so.

Keep the ones you like, delete the rest.

You don't need the services of a film lab or your own darkroom. You have the world of digital editing at your disposal.

You can get free or low cost photo editing programs.

Crop and make any kind of adjustments you want, hit the save button and you are done.

Since they are already in a digital form, you don't have to scan them, they are already scanned.

Share your digital photos with anyone you wish to, or the whole world, if you like.

You can do this for free!

If you want prints, buy a photo printer and some photo paper and make all the prints that you want.

Chris DeVoe and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

indeed...picked up an old photo printer HP Photsmart 230 in box for 2 bucks at Goodwill...If I need to make prints i use this...it does the job for handouts...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

As an art director, I have worked with a bunch of commercial photographers. In the late 90s and early 2000s, they began shooting with digital backs on their analog cameras. Today, not only have they all gone digital, but they are experts in digital retouching, primarily with Photoshop and Lightroom.

But I know plenty of fine art photographers who still shoot film, especially large format b&w. Of course they also have darkrooms. Not only do they shoot regular film, but some artists actually shoot Polaroid, as an end product/image. Yes, it's still being produced.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Michael

and very expensive! been a fan since I got The Swinger (B&W) and moved up to the SX-70...cool cameras back then. The original SX-70 was manual focus only then they went with auto focus and manual...too cool for school. Instant gratification!

21. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I have a Kodak camera like that and that is a neat feature. The high end "Z" series cameras were decent. I also enjoy using Alien Skin Exposure software - one of all time favorite plug-ins!

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

never heard of that?
    which Z do you have?

23. Chris DeVoe

One of them does nearly everything in Photoshop now, and the resolution of the digital original is almost entirely unimportant - he'll put so many layers and filters on an image.

I saw a fascinating documentary called The B-Side: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography about the large format Polaroid photographer. But she had to retire when it was impossible to continue, as nobody was making the film anymore. Not even the Impossible Project was interested in making large format film for a dozen cameras.

24. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I have the same as you and also the model a couple of years before it (Z981). I still use them quite often. I'm often too lazy to lug out the DSLR.

Alien Skin Exposure rocks. It has "500 presets emulate iconic analog films" - and they look super realistic. All the popular Kodak and Fuji stocks are included but also old unexpected ones like GAF. Download and try the trial version. You'll love it.

SandAndGlass and Michael like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I say shoot a couple rolls for the experience and learn the meaning of "making the right decision." Nothing like payingt for 36 exposures and winding up with three or four worthwhile hots. SIGH.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.