"Francis Albert Sinatra & Antônio Carlos Jobim" Reprise LP FS-1021 studio take numbers, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Isn't that the one that Dean used that you always coo about? If so, it was really perfect for his voice.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yes.

McLover and paulmock like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

My point being, after hearing all this stuff, Frank Sinatra was in charge. He would stop takes, direct tempo and do other things that a producer would normally do. He made suggestions for every song and what he said, went. Frank was totally on top of it and in full charge.

Sounds to me just like every other Frank Sinatra recording session. :cool:

I always remember a quote from "The Wrecking Crew" re: musicians who played on both Sinatra and Streisand dates...

"Barbra took charge. Frank was IN charge! That's a big difference."

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Steve, I heard (and purchased) those session tapes as far back as 1979 from an FS bootlegger. Some (like Ring a Ding Ding! and Sinatra & Strings) are the best sounding sources of the albums I have ever heard!

You & I have discussed this before in previous threads. :winkgrin:

5. Steve Hoffman

1979? Wow. Sad that bootlegs sound better than official takes but it's the same with the Beatles.

paulmock likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The Ring-a-Ding Ding outtakes are the ones that, in terms of difference (improvement) in sound quality, really floor me every time. The album itself sounds like Poop on a Stick by comparison.

Ere, rxcory, aza14782 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Paul, the "Sinatra & Strings" outtakes somewhat fixes that horrible buzz at the end of "Night & Day", among other oddities. The first time I heard the "Ring a Ding Ding!" outtakes and the song "You & The Night & The Music", it knocked me out, as if I was hearing it for the first time. That band on that track really cooks!

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

That would mean that Kevin used the original mixes, which I would expect from him. I've got to re-listen to it soon!

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Can these outtakes be found??

10. moops

moops Senior Member

11. Steve Hoffman

I wish I knew (trying to clarify my earlier statement) which versions were wacky remixes and which used the original 1967 mixes.

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes I didn't keep the Jobim ones, they bored me. But some of them (like the I Remember tommy stuff and the Nelson Strangers stuff) is just too cool

teag likes this.
  13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Are these CDs or vinyl?

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

cds. some of the stuff is lossy, but it all sounds crystal clear

teag likes this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Western Studio 1, Steve. By then, Frank really didn't record in United anymore. Off-hand I think he did one session for the MY WAY album in United, but otherwise should have done everything in Western in the later '60's.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  16. Interestingly, Matt's clips demonstrate to my ears that the Concord CD is trying to be mono! Of the five clips which precede it, the mono LP version sounds the closest to the latest Concord stereo CD. It's also harder and more compressed (like the mono appears to sound in that clip). I wonder if that was the intention when they prepared the most recent remix? It also appears that a remix has existed since the 1991 CD where you can clearly hear the start of the gradual narrowing of the stereo image to reduce the severe left/right panning of the original 1967 mix.

I want them all!

Simon A likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

I hope the new blue vinyl uses the 1967 mix. It's the only real mix, ya know! There is a nice preserved analog Dolby A 1:1 of it at WB. What Kevin Gray used for his vinyl recut.

All of the remixes are pretty "off" if one refers to the original version. Some are really off!

McLover, Chris C, AJH and 1 other person like this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

The Kevin Gray sounds really great.

It's too bad more info is not forthcoming on sources,mix etc. on these new FS releases. Although this is actually fairly common - most labels are silent on these things.

Simon A likes this.
  19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

and I hope vinyl is not the sole source for the 67 mix as some here (moi) don't do vinyl anymore.

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just a reminder: We have had recent Sinatra Reprise-era reissues that were sourced from Concord remixes, so anything is possible. We all get to wait and see/hear.

Ere, Arkoffs, Bob F and 1 other person like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, what I wrote above is confusing. The MONO mix of this IS a dedicated mono mix, not a fold-down from the stereo mix.

What I meant is that the mono "feed" that was usually used for the mono version was not used because of all of the ad-libs that had to be mixed out. I would imagine that the mono feed tapes exist for this but probably dumped. So the mono was "remixed" from the four-track in 1967 to "fader down" some of the ad-libs but it's still a unique, dedicated mono mix, just not a pure feed from the console like other monos from this era at Western (although that was changing fast due to the increase in channels and recording methods..)

For example, a Sammy Davis, Jr. track from 1966 would have been captured live onto a mono feed and the four channel deck. The stereo would have been created from the four-track but the mono version would have been a pure capture and would probably sound fantastic.

I guess 1967 was the last year of that, certainly when the eight-track machine came in, everything was mixed, but by then there was no more mono anyway..

Ere, rxcory, Arkoffs and 2 others like this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

That's sure Western. Still looks like that in that room, doesn't it? It did in the 1990s, at least.

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Interesting. So the four-track was used to mix the mono feed but it'd also record onto the four tracks? Are we talking two tape machines running here?

24. Steve Hoffman

No. The mono was mixed onto the console and then directly onto the mono tape machines. The same signal is split and captured on four channels of the four track machine for remixing to stereo later. Two mono machines and two four track machines going at once for A reel and B reel of all takes in mono and multi. The four track and mono were both mixed live. Later the stereo mix was manufactured using the four track. Called a reduction mix. Before 1966 it would have been three track machines, not four.

Most things (85-95%) recorded at United/Western in the 1960 to 1967 time frame had three or four channel recordings that were pretty much mixed live, requiring very little in the way of remixing to stereo, just an echo boost, usually. Other studios didn't do it that way at all.

rxcory, Arkoffs, showtaper and 2 others like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

If this doesn't make sense to you I can restate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.