Frank Marino fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GibsonExplorer, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GibsonExplorer

GibsonExplorer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I grew up listening to a lot of stuff but Frank Marino has always been one of my favorite listens. Maxoom and Child of the Novelty are probably my faves but Strange Universe and his first live album get regular play also. Being a guitar player myself, I love his rather unique tone and his respect for Jimi Hendrix

2. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

Marino fan here! The guy can be mind blowing....he also has formidable jazz chops, as the title track to "Tales Of The Unexpected" proves....

3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I used to have the "Tales of the Unexpected" album and enjoyed "Sister Change" and the whole Hendrix vibe.

MrBigShow likes this.
  4. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan and have all his albums. Not a bad one in the bunch!

MrBigShow likes this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Huge fan, have all the albums and a rather large live collection (Frank is best live - one of the greatest guitarists I have ever seen).

Juggernaut is my favorite Marino studio album.

6. phoenixhwy1982

phoenixhwy1982 The Last Cowboy

Hey man, how you doing? How's the recovery? I've been spinning some Marino on youtube and must say that of the studio output that I've so far heard Juggernout really stands out. Really good songs that enhance his guitar heroics. Anyway, I hope you're feeling better!

7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I have liked the Mahogany Rush live album since I first heard it and still listen to it.
    I remember seeing them on Don Kirshners or one of those TV concert shows and was blown away by the guys stage presence and talent. The whole band was very good.
    I have one of his more recent CDs and it is great, I have been keeping my eyes out for some old Mahogany Rush CDs in used shops.

marmalade and vinyl diehard like this.
  8. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Never really heard much of him, remember him as a concert draw back in the 70s but never saw him. Found a Live CD for $1 in a discount bin, played it, loved it, and now regret my ignorance, lol. I'm telling you, gambling a buck or two on a cheap CD can really pay off, as it can open your ears. After "discovering" Marino and Rory Gallagher this year, I've come to the conclusion that I know so much less about music than I thought I did. I continue to learn my lesson, and will have an open mind to all types of music.

marmalade, clhboa and vinyl diehard like this.
  9. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

Another serious fan here. How many here know that he was also influenced
    by John Cippolina?

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was listening to him the other day.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, I read that Jimi Hendrix and John Cipollina were his favorites.

Evan Guest likes this.
  12. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Great live player. Listened to IV today and it is one of my favorites. Great vocal and jazzy ending to It's Begun To Rain and I really like the guitar riff to Dragonfly. I'm A King Bee/Back Door Man on the Live album is incredible. Check out Frank ripping it on The Things I Used to Do on Bryan Lee's Live album - At the Old Absinthe House Bar 2.

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

14. old school

old school Senior Member

I have to check Frank Marino out. Where is the best place to start. Jimi and John Cipollina are not bad guys to emulate!

John Fell likes this.
  15. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Frank is great live. I would start with the Live album. For Studio albums check out Child of the Novelty, IV, Juggernaut. If you like those you will probably like just about the entire catalog.

old school likes this.
  16. old school

old school Senior Member

Thanks I will start with the live album then go to studio. But Frank has more then one live album? which one?

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

REALLive is my favorite. Not as heavy as some of the others but the best in terms of displaying his talent.

Frank Marino is my favorite guitar player of all-time. That being said, and if I'm being honest, he is not a great songwriter. It's not his strength hence resorting to so many covers over the course of his career. A handful of good songs in his catalog, but no great ones; still, I consider him to be one of the finest rock guitar players to ever live.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  18. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I like "Strange Dreams".

I haven't heard anything else.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The one song of his that has no guitar solo. It is a good song, though.

John Fell and MrBigShow like this.
  20. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

wow, never heard that before !!! IV and World Anthem are my faves, the first 3 are cool, but way too Hendrix copyist for my tastes...

peopleareleaving likes this.
  21. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

'Eye of the storm' is a great tribute to Hendrix. I can also hear Blackmore's eastern scales in one song.

22. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

I'm sure the Eastern Scales were influenced primarily by John Cippolina. Cippolina, Bloomfield, and others were playing those types of Scales in the context of Rock Music as early as the mid 60s. Blackmore wasn't far behind though...

GodShifter likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Live is the earliest and Real Live the most current but any of them are good.

The need to issue a Deluxe Edition of Live.

old school and rcdupre like this.
  24. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

25. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I have the Real Live CD ... some effing great playing on there.

--Geoff

Roberto899, utopiarun and John Fell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.