Frank Sinatra Movies on Blu-Ray*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My only beefs with the PAL JOEY blu-ray are about the audio:
    1. No mono option (The film was released mono-only in 1957, and the "stereo" and "5.1" options here are futzed-with fake stereo/fake surround, pretty heavily processed, and definitely conveying a sound that was not in line with the original, although quite listenable on their own terms. IMO, for any film that was released in mono only, there should be a mono option.)
    2. The "isolated music track" is really whacky, with fake stereo, added reverb, and humongous volume drops in the middle of songs. Very, very strange (and frustrating, since the only reason I bought the blu-ray was for the isolated music tracks).

Picture wise, the film is grainy as heck (no VistaVision in play here), but the transfer seems fine.

DLant likes this.
  2. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Hi, are these region free, the web site does not say ?

Peace and love✌

DLant likes this.
  3. MLutthans

@Beaneydave -

The Pal Joey blu-ray is region free.

DLant likes this.
  4. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Cheers

Peace and love✌

DLant and MLutthans like this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

PAL JOEY looks fine on my hi-def system. Better than it has ever looked before. On an old CRT / tube TV it would look spotty, of course.

I didn't pay much attention to the sound, I'm afraid, but it sounded okay. The playback is not yet channeled through my stereo.

Beaneydave likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Yes, I have no doubt that it looks better than any previous home release it has had, and did not imply otherwise.

7. MLutthans

s-l1600-161 copy.jpg
    From the "wrap" party for A Hole in the Head? Any idea what was being spoken and recorded? (There are two mics on the stand: The large Altec mic, apparently for a public address system, and the small mic that is plugged into the tape recorder that is sitting on the table next to Mr. Robinson.)

8. MLutthans

Not a blu-ray question, but what's the scoop on this story, which I found on Ebay:
    s-l1600-231detail.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.