Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Just picked up the Reprise huge leather box set. This thing is really sweet....

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

A great performance of a wonderful song.

On Reprise, I always head into "Summer Wind" first.

Regginold31 likes this.
  3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting, thanks!

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree, a must have for anyone who has any interest in Frank and doesn't own. She Shot me Down is outstanding...

CBackley likes this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Hey, Chris C here with a few notes that I'd like to add to Tim Neely's post...

Chris C: That is a GREAT story TIM!

6. MARKM

MARKM Member

Opinions - Recent RHINO FAS & ACJ + SOM Years 180 gm

Hi,

I have both these reissues - does anyone out there know if there will be more ?...

RHINO's website doesn't even list them - under the vinyl section.

OK - IMHO:

I have loved Frank all my days, but from the Reprise era, I think the Ellington album is highlt underrated - well recorded and beautiful versions of "Yellow Days" with a blistering "Come Back to Me".

This aside, there are two Reprise albums that are crying out for a RHINO 180gm reissue:

1) The Concert Sinatra

I think this is just simply superb. Listen to "Ol Man River" once and you will be hooked for life. I have an original UK Pye issue gatefold "anxious" Frank - 1A/1B pressing. I'm not sure if this was pressed in the UK (nothing on the label indicates) or just the jacket. It is very clean but not perfect - still far better than any later non-gatefold orange steamboat issue, of which I also have a UK copy.

Steve - please, please say that the 35mm magnetic film masters still exist somewhere...

2) Sinatra At The Sands

Again - crying out for the full treatment on a modern, quiet pressing. If live Belafonte album reissues went down well - this should fly out the door.

All the best,

MM in the UK.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree, and sadly it seems to get overlooked too often. Maybe some people find the title confusing? I'd pick it as the either #3 or #4 Sinatra/Reprise title - September 1st, then the Jobim album, then either Sinatra At the Sands or this album. I might give an edge to the Sands, but it's close.

"I Have Dreamed" is probably in my Top 5 of all of Frank's songs...

El_diabl0 and CBackley like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm one of the few in the world who got to hear THE CONCERT SINATRA in the original form without any reverberation. Spooky and awe inspiring to hear it "dry". Too bad it can never be released like that..

El_diabl0 and CBackley like this.
  9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Well, it could be, right??? Or is there a reason it can't??

10. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

A couple of years ago on The Sinatra Family, Nancy herself said that the 35mm recording tape of that album had been located. You remember that, don't you, Martin?

11. Steve Hoffman

Stuff like this always gets mixed with a LOT of reverb or else it sounds "funny" to the masses. You know that!

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes. Was very happy to hear that. Hope they're OK...

13. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I'm listening to the mono LP right now. It's got echo for sure, but it's not overdone by any means. Does the stereo have more echo?

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I haven't compared them in a while - I don't remember. I usually play the original stereo LP.

Which pressing of the mono do you have?

15. Another Side

It's an original. It's got the anxious Frank and the Reprise blurb on the top right.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What's in the "dead area" - any 1A, 1B, 1D, etc., like what became common for many years, not long after this album came out? Is the label entirely "original" - meaning, no (intentionally) "blacked out" areas, etc.?

17. Steve Hoffman

Martin, you're turning into W.B.

CBackley likes this.
  18. Another Side

It's -A-3/-B-2. It is the label without the black box.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's the real deal...

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

:laugh:

I could never top him - he's probably the best in the world at "pressing" stuff...

21. Another Side

:agree:

And it's minty... :love:

CBackley likes this.
  22. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one who thought She Shot Me Down was pretty good, c'mon, we know he was wayyyy past his peak then. Nevertheless, I listen to that one, especially the medley of It Never Entered My Mind/Gal That Got Away.
    But, really, when I want to hear Reprise Frank it's either I Remember Tommy or At The Sands.

23. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Listening to Frankie's double album "Live At The Sands" on vinyl and writing on wireless laptop, can't get any better than that...

24. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

How about the reprise video collection on dvd? I think they are all essential for Sinatra fans. I love the around 10 minute long saloon medleys from this dvd series, as well as the Royal Albert hall concert. On one of the dvd's, from a tv special in the early 80's, Frank sings songs from she shot me down, live on stage, without an audience. Great stuff. A couple of my favorite Sinatra reprise recordings are drinking again from s/t, and I love my wife, a single availble on the 4 cd box set. I saw Frank perform I love my wife live in the late 70's, and during the song he did a solo waltz with the mike, a magical concert memory of mine.

25. MARKM

MARKM Member

Hi Steve - wow. You lucky so and so. How did that come about?..

Now that we know the 35mm film does exist....

1) Who do we pester at Rhino/Warner Special Projects
    2) Who within this org' was also responsible for the recent FAS + ACJ and "September" vinyl reissues?

I agree, for some reason it does get overlooked, much as FAS + EKE does.

Would there not also have been some "natural reverb" from the Goldwyn soundstage where the recording took place? "over 4 soundstages" - I think this is what it says on the liner notes..

Cheers,
    M.