Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And those baffling baffles were very colorful:

D.B., Richard--W, notesfrom and 2 others like this.
  2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ya know, I never put it together that the scene was actually filmed in a recording studio. I always thought it was on an NBC TV studio set. I guess 1 plus 1 DOES make 6 after all!!!!:doh:

McLover and Bob F like this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yep, and if you listen carefully and compare to the version of “Younger than Springtime” in the suitcase and/or the Movin’ with Nancy LP/CD, you’ll see that the filmed TV scene is of an alternate take.

MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  4. Zusac

Zusac Well-Known Member

I noticed that "Like A Sad Song" was recorded September 27th, 1976 with an arrangement by Claus Ogerman. This would have been more than 9 years after Ogerman's involvement with the Jobim sessions. I find it hard to believe that he was brought it for just one song which would be released as a B-side!

Is there perhaps a bit more info behind this one-time session and arrangement? I know that it was written for Sinatra by John Denver, and I find it to be a mediocre song (in my opinion!) that is fortunately lifted to "multiple listening status" by a beautiful arrangement, which should appear on more intimate compilations.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sinatra began singing John Denver’s “Like a Sad Song” earlier that month—September 10, 1976—while performing with Denver at Harrah’s in Lake Tahoe. John was the opening act, and he came on stage during Sinatra’s portion of the show for an extended duet medley with Frank. The song was a then current pop hit for Denver, from his album Spirit, released as a single in August 1976. I’m guessing that Claus Ogerman’s arrangement was commissioned by Denver, not Sinatra. Listen to this (low fidelity) audience recording, starting at the 6:40 mark:

Frank Sinatra and John Denver / Harrah's Show [1976] - YouTube

Sinatra continued to include solo performances of the song in his concerts during a subsequent east coast tour, beginning two weeks later at Westchester Premiere Theatre in Tarrytown, NY. It was during that tour that he recorded the song in a rare NYC session, late night on September 27, 1976, at Columbia Studios.

Besides “Like a Sad Song” at this session, FS also put down his vocal overdub for “Dry Your Eyes” to an ork track arranged by Don Costa (previously recorded on the west coast). The latter Neil Diamond cover became the A-side of the single with the John Denver cover on the B-side:

Sinatra’s live versions were shortlived. His last documented performance of the song was in January 1977.

Note 1: Some discographies report that Claus Ogerman himself conducted his string arrangement at the Columbia session. Other sources claim it was Bill Miller, who was conducting for Sinatra during the 1976 concerts. I would tend to believe the latter. Since the chart was used in Lake Tahoe two weeks earlier, it seems more likely that Ogerman was “brought in” for the song by John Denver. But I haven’t discovered anything more definitive about Ogerman’s participation or Sinatra’s involvement.

Note 2: Sinatra did very few studio recordings in 1976. Prior to this September session, he had recorded only six songs in two sessions (February and June), including a rejected attempt at “Dry Your Eyes.” There would be only one more singles session (in November) that year for two songs (including the unreleased “Evergreen”). The others were on the west coast, so this New York session was indeed a rarity in this timeframe.

6. Zusac

Zusac Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, Bob. This would make sense, as Ogerman and Denver were both with RCA Victor in the 70s. Wonder what more collaborations could have sounded like!

Bob F likes this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I don't recall seeing this hype sticker before:
    s-l1600-446.jpg

CBackley, roda12, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a stereo LP with the sticker that is sealed.

CBackley, rangerjohn and RSteven like this.
  9. MLutthans

"Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner" - funny that the sticker didn't specify what the song "won," which was the Academy Award for Best Original Song, awarded at the ceremony in 1964. (Maybe to avoid lawyers??????)

CBackley, rangerjohn and RSteven like this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I always found it odd too. Funny thing is, the sticker is on an R9 (independent Reprise) era copy, and Reprise was part of Warners before that ceremony. For all I know, there is an FS prefix LP inside (I believe most all gatefold copies ended up with an F/FS prefix LP), but I'm leaving it sealed. It gives an indication how long the gatefold covers were around before the standard cover began manufacture/use.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Maybe to avoid copyright laws? Like you so often hear The Super Bowl referred to as "The Big Game" in ads around that time of year to avoid having to pay copyright. Just thinkin' out loud...again.

MMM and MLutthans like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

ArneW likes this.
  13. MLutthans

Yeah, that cover's a little scary.

ArneW and CBackley like this.
  14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

One of my absolute favorite Reprise era tracks is the version of “Lady Day” recorded for, but left off of, Watertown. There’s just something so magically melancholy about it. Frank’s voice rips my heart out every time I listen.

15. MLutthans

Unusual item on Ebay:
    s-l1600-461b.jpg

Turmatic, RSteven, kennyluc1 and 4 others like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

There was at least one sleeve printer experimenting with UK style jacket printing. There's Columbia US made LP discs inside several jackets like this in the same 1968 era.

MLutthans likes this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

My goodness. Such power in the vocal.
    That's very interesting. The behavior, the interaction between the Sinatras.

I wish all these hundreds of little videos here and there could be gathered together, organized in chronological order, and put on a bluray.

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

MMM and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  19. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Chris C likes this.
  20. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

It's about time that Ume should release the original intended album!

kennyluc1 likes this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

do I have to play Perry singing "Dream on Little Dreamer" again?????? :laugh:

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Pelvis Ressley and Chris C like this.
  23. MLutthans

Since the Ebay photos will vanish, here are two of the pics, posted here for posterity:
    s-l1600v.jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for doing this, as they will eventually vanish!

I probably still have a hundred old record promo posters that most on this forum would love to have, but this album slick is what I want!
    Whomever buys this (if your a member of this forum), you have to invite me over once you frame it, so I can come and stare at it. LOL!

And I'm with member roda12 and wonder why the powers that be don't reissue this on vinyl and CD as it would have originally been sequenced.

roda12 likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

A full-size replica of the Sinatra/Jobim cover artwork is one of the removable items in The Sinatra Treasures book by Charles Pignone (upper left, below).

[​IMG]

The album was released in its intended LP sequence as the second half of the CD Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings, on Concord in 2010.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018