Frank Sinatra on Reprise formerly deleted, being reissued by UMG (except N.America)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Prices of a couple of these discs have dropped to £5.98 at Amazon UK. That's about USD $9.78.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Just to be completely accurate, US customers do not pay the 15% VAT tax which is included in all UK Amazon prices for audio CDs. So a £5.98 listed price tag equates to £5.20 for customers outside the EU.

That's USD $8.48 at current exchange rates. Add to that shipping costs of £2.09 per order and £0.99 per disc, plus foreign currency fees by your credit card company (typically 3%). Total cost in US dollars for a single CD marked at £5.98 = $13.90.

(Also, prices at Amazon.co.uk vary up and down frequently, and shipping charges are reduced by ordering multiple discs at once. My total cost for seven CDs averaged out to $10.46 per disc.)

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Pointer to new thread along similar lines: [post=4893551]Sinatra Reprise reissues on Concord[/post].

4. besterlester

besterlester New Member

Probably a bit late to the party, but before seeing this thread, I saw these today at my local store, they had little hats on the spine and they said 2009 on them so I was a bit surprised as I hadn't expected to see a Frank cd so recently made. I picked up At The Sands.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Logo of Frank Sinatra Enterprises, LLC:
    FSE_logo_400x200.gif

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Since you live in California, I'm surprised you found them in a store, since they were supposedly to be available only outside North America.

There was some amount of criticism expressed earlier in this thread because they were to be unavailable in "the house Frank lived in." I wonder how common it will be to find these on US store shelves?

7. besterlester

besterlester New Member

A few stores import things like this. I went back today and picked up the rest, Sinatra-Basie, Ring-A-Ding Ding, Sinatra and Company and My Way, which is a Us one.

8. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

the world is a global/local market now and I expect these can be found or ordered VERY easily and affordably.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I expressed the same sentiment earlier in this thread, and I've explained how inexpensive it is to order these online. I was surprised to learn they are in US stores, though. It's since been explained to me by PM that the poster was referring to a local store in another country.

10. Best Buy for one has been selectively importing certain cds unavailable in the U.S. from other countries the past few years. But with their reduced emphasis on most deep catalog product on cd (check the inventory revamp for Christmas for the reduced in-store selection), I doubt these will make it to the U.S.

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Do they have remastering credits?

12. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

So has anyone actually heard any of these reissues? Any better/worse than what's come before?

13. DJ WILBUR

they are the same from what's been posted in the thread.

14. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Has anyone received the UK "Sinatra at the Sands?" Is it 100 percent confirmed this is just a republished 1998 mastering?

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

My UK delivery is slated for Friday the 6th. I'll let you know in a couple of days, I hope.

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sinatra at the Sands

[ I just left the following post at the SFF. I'll have more to say in direct answer to the question tomorrow, but I wanted to get this out as soon as possible. ]

Sinatra At The Sands contains only 21 tracks! It does NOT include the bonus track "Luck Be A Lady" after all.

This is very strange, because the rear cover image shown at amazon.co.uk clearly shows 22 tracks, with track 13 being "Luck Be A Lady." So, contrary to what I assumed earlier based on the image and a private report, the Amazon track listing is not incorrect. There is no bonus track.

The booklet and rear cover use the same layout as the 1998 EOTC release (including photos which do not appear with the earlier 1987 Reprise issue), but the listing of "Luck Be A Lady" has been removed.

As for the actual audio, I will report back after I've had a chance to study it. The back cover does state "(P) 2009 Frank Sinatra Enterprises, LLC", which might indicate a new mastering this year. The only thing I can say for sure immediately is that the disc is NOT an exact digital copy of either of the previous Warner/Reprise CD issues.

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^^^
    Bob, you sure now how to pique a guy's interest! I look forward to your report.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

(Matt, congratulations on your appointment to a Gortship!)

Yes, it's very strange, because UMG obviously changed the track listing after distributing that image to Amazon. (The UPC/EAN number in the image matches the one I received, so it's not just a case of Amazon showing the wrong image.)

I received all seven of the reissued Reprise CDs in today's mail, and this was the first thing I checked. You can be sure I'll be examining these all very carefully.

P.S. Packaging by UK Amazon was terrible. Seven CDs were sent by mail in a flimsy cardboard box with unsealed ends. No bubble wrap or extra packing. Two jewel cases came cracked, and all were scuffed. :thumbsdn:

20. monkboughtlunch

I must say that is disappointing. I recently placed an order on Amazon based on the rear cover image that showed "Luck Be A Lady" was included. That version of "Luck Be a Lady" on the 1998 version is fantastic.

21. monkboughtlunch

Are there any mastering credits in the booklet for Sinatra At The Sands? Could this be a brand new remastering?

22. DJ WILBUR

most disappointing to learn of this omission on this title. Wonder what the story is on this one. Curious to hear about the sound.

23. monkboughtlunch

Maybe they went back to the original two track master mixes from the 60s for the new UMG release? I think the EOTC 1998 CD that included the Luck Be A Lady bonus track was all remixed.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Credits in the booklet are identical to those in the 1998 (EOTC) Reprise version. I.e., "Reissue Produced by Gregg Geller" and "Digital Mastering by Lee Herschberg."

25. monkboughtlunch

Fascinating. So if the back cover omits "Luck Be A Lady," have you confirmed by playing the CD that the actual disc omits it too (in other words not a typo omission on the back cover?)

If it uses the same mastering as the 1998 CD, then this disc must feature the 1998 remixes? I wonder why they dumped "Luck Be a Lady".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.