Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

That’s the real problem. What was the point of closing perfectly good threads? They should all be reopened.

(And it wasn’t meant as a criticism so much as a hint to a Gort, Paul. I think we can all agree that discussion of a 30-year-old UK box set is outside this thread’s topic.)

aoxomoxoa, Tribute and paulmock like this.
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I can no longer keep track of what's what on which thread or where.

It's become too complicated.

This is not a criticism.

I assumed, since the cover and packaging of the U.K. vinyl set are the same as the CD set, and since they are listed as the same on discogs, that they are the same, which is not unusual.

But now I'm told that although they look the same they are not the same mastering.

The number of threads and editions and versions of editions with variations is just too damn much to keep track of.

Smartin62 likes this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I am truly sorry if I started an upheaval here by my posting of the ad. I just thought it as best and needed to be shared. No hard feelings. We all have opinions.

4. Richard--W

No worries, Paul.

No worries, Paul.[​IMG]

paulmock likes this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

6. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I want a copy of Songs for Swinging Lovers, the UME vinyl that is highly regarded. Is this the only 180gm reissue out there? I want to make sure I get the right one. Could someone post a link to it? Maybe Amazon or one of the audiophile retailers?

7. Richard--W

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  8. Vinylfindco

9. Richard--W

You need to partner that with In the Wee Small Hours, Swing Easy and Songs For Young Lovers to reach critical mass.

paulmock and Benno123 like this.
  10. Vinylfindco

I was going to go for In The Wee, I’ve never heard the other two but I will get them if they are in the same league.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

All of the Capitol Recordings, including the singles, are in the same league. Top quality.

Even "There's a Flaw in My Flue"

12. Vinylfindco

True, though I meant to ask if the mastering is in the same league as Songs for Swinging Lovers, which got high marks on the Capitol scorecard and is thought to be the MOFI remaster that was never released in their vinyl series. I have most of the MOFI reissues and love them.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

If not in stock at Amazon try Barnes and Noble!

14. Vinylfindco

Ok thanks!

teag likes this.
  15. Vinylfindco

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

17. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

How is the Come Dance With Me vinyl reissue? I have read mixed reviews but I don’t want the technical stuff, I just want the basic “find this” or “avoid it.” I have an original mint mono release of the album which, according to Discogs, it must have been from France. Regardless I like it but always open to another version if it’s worth it.

I also enjoyed the Come Swing With Me vinyl reissue, too, for what it’s worth ....

18. Richard--W

Yes. They are in the same league. Songs For Young Lovers, Swing Easy and In the Wee Small Hours. The latter is the masterpiece.

19. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s okay, but not the best. I picked up another reissue (from the 80s?) based on info from @MLutthans awesoe Capitol Scorecard site. That copy blows the recent reissue out of the water.

Benno123 and MLutthans like this.
  20. MLutthans

The regular stereo mix for the first song on side two has been replaced with some oddball alternate mix, and the mastering on the other tracks is pretty ho-hum. There are much better editions. (Yellow '70s and green '80s label versions are good sounding and easy to find.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    CBackley and Benno123 like this.
  21. Richard--W

Matt Lutthans maintains the Capitol Scorecard on his site, which is a useful shortcut:

Capitol Scorecard

... but it could be updated with color scans of the Preferred album covers and buttoned with links etc. Just a passing thought, Matt.

MLutthans likes this.
  22. MLutthans

Maybe someday.......

CBackley likes this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

A Swingin Affair may also be the MFSL mastering. Many consider this to be a masterpiece also. Bottom line - get them all if you like Sinatra.

Radio, ggjjr and CBackley like this.
  24. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Thank you, and thanks to @MLutthans as well, for the information. Based on this I’ll keep what I have and search out another reissue instead!

MLutthans likes this.
  25. Vinylfindco

Yes thank you to Matt for his research.

Benno123 and MLutthans like this.