Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yes. Part of the agreement was that they could only issue CDs - no other format was permitted (the vinyl pressings are pirate editions), and they had to use only the artwork provided. Only the label design on the disc was allowed to be changed.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've read mentions of other vinyl pressings of ZFT releases like Buffalo, presumably all illegal.

3. danner

danner Forum Resident

Ah, I see. Good to know. No sense dropping $40 on a CD pressed to vinyl.

Yeah, I think I've seen those pop up on eBay, but I always assumed those were boots. I was curious if RBP LPs were a special case considering the whole licensing deal. Looks like they're not.

4. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Pricey, yes but it's a limited numbered edition of 1000 copies and the guy has to recover some of his $1000.00 investment plus his manufacturing costs somehow.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's what I always say when I see the prices at zappa.com :laugh:

6. roadtonever

roadtonever Forum Resident

$699 For Bobby Zappa's white gym socks, still damp.

dlokazip likes this.
  7. Carl's! :O)

"I don't even know you, I don't even know what that is, and you're telling me to smoke it!?"

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, come on you two, dummy up!

Bemsha and ParloFax like this.
  9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

It would have been great if they kept up the "Road Tapes" series instead of letting it die after 2 releases, same as the deluxe (Mofo) series.
    With a football field sized tape vault under the house, they should be pumping out material like there is no tomorrow instead of just doling it out.
    Gail should sell the vault to Rhino, Shout Factory, or Eagle Rock and let them milk it for all eternity, the same way that Sony/BMG is milking Elvis.

FZ would be spinning in his grave at the idea, why do something to turn your fans against you, why sell a master to (possible) bootleggers.

If GZ used her head, she would have gone to Kickstarter and have the fans donate to the project instead of bamboozling them into paying $1000 for a CD-R distribution deal where you can't go to one stops, distributors, and the manufacture of silver discs to sell is forbidden. If I paid that $1000, the first thing I would do is go to Discmakers and order 1000 discs and sell them to Allegro, AEC, RED, and Gotham. Since the participants involved aren't allowed to do proper distribution, what's the sense of doing it. I guess what she has in mind is burning CD-R's to sell at ZPZ shows, Ebay, and record fairs (where selling CD-R's and DVD-R's at some shows is forbidden). That has to be the most hairbrained scheme in music distribution I ever heard.

93curr likes this.
  10. danner

danner Forum Resident

Got my fancy Roxy By Proxy CD/book thingy in the mail today. Looks great!

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

FYI — I was browsing the US iTunes Store and noticed that the following are now labelled "Mastered for iTunes":

Absolutely Free
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Chungas's Revenge
    Fillmore East - June 1971
    Just Another Band from LA
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Over-Nite Sensation
    Apostrophe
    One Size Fits All
    Bongo Fury
    Zoot Allures
    Studio Tan
    Sleep Dirt
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III
    Tinseltown Rebellion
    Shut Up ’n Play Yer Guitar
    You Are What You Is
    Them or Us

I haven't looked at the iTunes Zappa catalogue since the reissues came out three years ago, so I don't know exactly when this change happened (the titles that are MfiT still have a 2012 copyright, just like the reissues without the MfiT designation). Judging from the info in lukpac's guide, it appears these albums are the ones that were newly remastered for the 2012 reissue series. I don't know if they sound any different from when they were first released on iTunes.

12. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...so, I'm filling in some spots in my Zappa CD collection. Ordered Roxy & Elsewhere, Zappa In NY and Studio Tan. I was trying to also get Orchestral Favorites, but I am having trouble locating a copy that isn't from a third party seller. I checked Amazon, Best Buy, FYE, Importcds, Deepdiscount etc. could this title really be out of print already? I know it's not a top seller, but it's only been four years since the reissue..... :shrug:

13. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Try Bull Moose.

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Where you've been living, Reseda?
    No, San José.

ParloFax likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Zoverstocks and Rarewaves carry it through Amazon. These are sellers you can trust.

Btw this title only has one mastering on cd if I'm correct.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That is correct. All CDs sound the same.

17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...thanks for the seller tips. :thumbsup:
    Yeah, I'm aware the 2012 is the same as the older pressings, but for continuity sake I'm looking for the UMe. Thanks again. :cheers:

18. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Shipments from Zoverstocks can take a month to get to you, but they are well worth it.

19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yeah its weird. I've been buying the Ume YCDTOSA series on amazon and I have had to get them through 3rd parties. Amazon doesnt seem to stock them.

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Great communication as well.

dlokazip likes this.
  21. Leperlord

Leperlord Member

Wow part 1 to 4 . A very long read , i likely have to re read some , no way i retained it all :)

So far of the 2012 remasters i only need 16 . So ill ask of these 16 ,please advise me which , if any are more essential than the others , or significantly different from the others .

So far Sleep dirt Instrumental is my fave .i cant stop spinning that gem .

Thank you

ZPCD133 #35 - Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch (1982)

ZPCD134 #36 - The Man From Utopia (1983)

ZPCD135 #37 - Baby Snakes (1983)

ZPCD140 #42 - Francesco Zappa (1984)

ZPCD141 # - Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention (1985)

ZPCD142 # - Does Humor Belong In Music? (1986)

ZPCD147 #54 - You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vol 3 (1989)

ZPCD149 # - You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vol 4 (1991)

ZPCD152 # - You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vol 5 (1992)

ZPCD153 # - You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vol 6 (1992)

ZPCD154 # - Playground Psychotics (1992)

ZPCD155 #63 - Ahead Of Their Time (1992)

ZPCD157 #64 - The Lost Episodes (1994)

ZPCD156 #62 - The Yellow Shark (1997)

ZPCD159 # - Have I Offended Someone? (1997)

ZPCD158 #68 - Mystery Disc (1998)

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My opinion is that the first two you list are going to be improvements over previous cd issues, the next ones on your list are not so likely to have as much improvement. Maybe Mothers of Prevention, but not betting on it.

It is the earlier albums from Freak Out to about Shut Up and Play Guitar, or so which were more botched with poor mastering. The 1984 to 1997 titles were what they are, born in the digital age.

Just one opinion.

23. Leperlord

Leperlord Member

Thanks mate

I was hoping to isolate just a few if possible as im also saving for a new amp right now , so funds are tight .

Your opinion makes sense

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So this means that you can pick up those later albums on cd, and just grab the cheapest copy for sale. And not worry about the mastering.

25. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Here's some great info on which versions to get:
    2012: What We Knew and When We Knew It

gd0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.