Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leperlord

Leperlord Member

Great news :)

2. Leperlord

Leperlord Member

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Bumping this thread because of a new development with my 2012 disc of The Grand Wazoo.

Many reported problems with a defective disc as it would play in some players, but not others. I assumed that mine wasn't defective because it played in all my players and my computer could rip the disc.

However, today, I discovered that my Sony Blu-Ray player doesn't recognize the disc.

So, it would appear that my disc is defective, as well. I just lucked out that none of my other players experienced difficulty before today.

It's been six years, so I doubt there is anything that I can do about it other than play my CD-R copy in the blu-ray player. Just weird that it didn't surface until now.

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My copy does not play anywhere (it was rejected by four different players, at least), but somehow I was able to make a FLAC rip with Foobar, so I burned a CD-R and that's what I listen to.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

TGW is a weird one, alright.

The recurring gripe was that, tho it would play back reliably, it wouldn't rip. I took a chance on a used-bin copy for $3, despite a handwritten warning on the package. dbPoweramp wouldn't rip it, but iTunes did. If it did so in a subpar manner, I can't detect it.

Apparently iTunes will rip a crepe if you feed it one.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, what about those other players now? Not weird at all, you had not tried the BR player until now.

7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

EAC ripped it just fine, although it did take a little longer than expected.

True. I had not tried any blu-ray players before. I know it won't work in two of them. Haven't tried the others yet.

It still plays fine on my computers and old standard CD players.

8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

What is Eil?

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

10. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Are the 2012 Zappa remasters worth it? I own all of the older remasters on Rykodisc, but I’ve read these particular remasters weren’t true to their origins as Zappa added a good dosage of reverb to these remasters.

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

These are the ones that are worth it.

Absolutely Free
    Hot Rats
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Chunga's Revenge
    Fillmore East, 1971
    Just Another Band from LA
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Over-Nite Sensation
    Apostrophe
    One Size Fits All
    Bongo Fury
    Zoot Allures
    Studio Tan
    Sleep Dirt
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Joe's Garage
    Tinsel-town Rebellion
    Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
    You Are What You Is
    Them or Us​

The rest are the same as the 1995 Rykodisc versions.

2012: What We Knew and When We Knew It

12. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The 2012 for JABFLA is compressed. I think lp is the only way to go for that one.

13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Same with Absolutely Free.

With those two titles, you have to pick your poison when it comes to the CD: digital reverb or compression.

JABFLA sounds so different, many have speculated that the Ryko is a remix.

I don't mind the compression on the 2012
    JABFLA. It comes from a good source tape.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It was a four track recording with two tracks for the band, one for the vocals and one for the audience. I believe one Zappa fan I know said that an audience noise comes from a different stereo position in the Ryko (the audience track was presented in mono in one mix, but converted to pseudo-stereo in the other mix - I could look up the details if anyone's curious). I think he spotted a slightly different edit at one point too.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    dlokazip likes this.
  15. danner

danner Forum Resident

For what it’s worth, I’ll easily take some compression over the digital reverb. It’s not even close.

dlokazip likes this.
  16. roadtonever

roadtonever Forum Resident

I wouldn't get hung up on the question of over-compression for the UMe remasters. The fact is that there was no compulsion to apply dynamics processing for loudness reasons.

folkfreak likes this.
  17. I can't see how the RYKO "Joe's Garage" could be improved upon. It sounds flawless to me -good sources, well mastered, superior dynamic range and with no errors that I remember.

dlokazip likes this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

There was nothing wrong with the original Ryko JG (except for the missing artwork and changing some of the song titles) but I am a convert to the new UMe. You might have to have headphones on to notice the difference, but it does seem like enough of an improvement to justify the purchase.

I don't think the new TTR, SUAPYG or YAWYI are an improvement on the most recent Rykos, though. Or that the new 'Apostrophe(')' or OSFAs are any better than the Au20s.

I haven't heard the most recent vinyl editions of the first five albums, but are any of the original Verve LPs compression-free?

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It's really a matter of personal preference.

Joe's Garage is one of the Ryko CDs that I absolutely defend. It does sound very good.

Pete Puma likes this.
  20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The UMe OSFA is better than the Au20. I have both. I resisted buying it for a couple of years, but I had to admit that it was better.

The UMe Apostrophe(') may be better than the Au20, but not significantly. I've stuck with my Au20 clone on that one.

I can't speak to TTR, but the 1998 Ryko YAWYI has this awkward edit where Spencer Chrislu tried to segue sides three and four. For the UMe, they simply left everything complete. Side three fades out and side four comes in full volume. That's one of the reasons that I prefer the 2012 UMe CD.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    folkfreak likes this.
  21. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

You don't need earphones to notice the improvement of Joes Garage. The old CD has a little bit of the bass-shyness that is known from the EMI Cds and is a little bit trebely.
    The UMe has a wonderful even frequency range with a great and natural bass. This CD is a definitive and not so small improvement over the old mastering(s?)

roadtonever and dlokazip like this.
  22. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Both UMe 'Apostrophe(')' and OSFA are better than the AU20s for my ears.

roadtonever likes this.
  23. The Ryko Joe's Garage is not bass-shy. Not even close.

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

I’ve been holding out on upgrading Apostrophe and OSFA since I already have the Au20s, even though the consensus seems to be that the 2012 remasters are better. I should probably grab them before they mysteriously go the way of the 2012 Studio Tan CD.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  25. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I don't feel like all are necessary unless you're a fanatic. And you'll want to hold on to your Ryko Hot Rats, Weasels, and Sleep Dirt since they have major differences due to mixing and content. The 2012 Shut Up sounds a bit tubby in the low end. Depends on your preferences. One Size, and Bongo Fury sound fine on my Ryko CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.