Freddie Hart R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

Buddy Cannon posted on Facebook that Freddie Hart died last night. So sad. Great time to pull out some of his early recordings and blast them loud today.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

RIP.

melstapler likes this.
  3. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

One of my favorites. I still can find no info on who did the background vocals. It sounds like Ray Price.

4. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

His 50"s tunes is were i got in to him and its sad that another singer i grew up with has moved on to the paradise tour.

Here is an album i got in the 70"s were he could ROCK the JOINT

melstapler, RSteven and Tord like this.
  5. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I prefer to celebrate the life and music of Mr. Freddie Hart, who
    passed away earlier today, rather than dwell on the sadness.

Awesomely sublime, or sublimely awesome? How about both!
    Here is Freddie's best-known song, from 1971, "Easy Loving."
    Bonus feature is Casey Kasem introducing the story of the black
    belt, marine-at-thirteen Freddie!

melstapler, RSteven and Fender Relic like this.
  6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Freddie Hart, known to millions of Country Music fans the world over as “Mr. Easy Lovin’” passed away Saturday October 27th in Burbank Ca.
    Freddie served in the Marines during World War 2 and then began his professional career in music when Lefty Frizzell hired him to go on the road with him. Lefty got Freddie a recording contract with Capitol Records and in 1953 he released his first song “Butterfly Love” with Hank Thompson’s band The Brazos Valley Boys backing him on the session. It was also during this time that Freddie had already made a huge impact as a songwriter penning hit songs such as “Loose Talk” for Carl Smith, “Lovin’ In Vain” for Patsy Cline and “My Tears Are Overdue” for George Jones among many others. Freddie was also the first person to record Harlan Howard’s country standard “The Key’s In The Mailbox”.
    Freddie performed regularly on the television show “Town Hall Party” during the 1950’s. He recorded for Capitol, Columbia, Monument and Kapp records during the ‘50’s and ‘60’s building up an impressive catalog of songs, largely self penned.
    But it was not until 1970, when he re-signed with Capitol Records that a song on one of his albums caught the attention of a disc jockey who began playing the song on the air and it became an overnight sensation. Of course that song was “Easy Loving” which became Freddie’s signature song. The record sold millions of copies all over the world and earned Freddie virtually every award in the Country Music industry including “Entertainer Of The Year”, “Male Vocalist Of The Year”, “Album Of The Year”, and “Single Of The Year”. “Easy Loving” had the distinction of becoming the first to be voted song of the year in two consecutive years, 1971 and 1972. The only other time this has happened was with George Jones for “He Stopped Loving Her Today” in 1980 and 1981. “Easy Loving” also won Freddie a Grammy award.
    In the 1970’s Freddie toured as a superstar all over the world with his band “The Heartbeats” The number one hits continued through the decade including “Trip To Heaven”, “Got The All Overs For You”, “Bless Your Heart”, “My Hang Up Is You” and “The Want To’s”. All together Freddie scored 14 number one hits worldwide and 34 top ten records.
    Freddie appeared on many television programs over the years including “Hee Haw”, “Grand Ole Opry”, “Nashville Now”, “Mike Douglas Show”, “Dinah Shore Show”, “George Jones Show” and more recently, Country’s Family Reunion” and “Marty Stuart Show”.
    During the 1980’s Freddie continued to tour and released albums for Sunbird and Fifth Avenue records. As time went by, Freddie began recording his Gospel songs and in later years received numerous awards in that field also. To this day Freddie’s songs have been played on radio stations every day since 1953.
    Perhaps Freddie’s proudest moment came in 2004 with his induction to the Nashville Songwriter’s Hall Of Fame.
    During the 2000’s Freddie released several Gospel albums and this year completed a Gospel album of all original songs. The album “God Bless You”, produced by country music legend David Frizzell, will be released at a later date on Nashville America Records.
    In addition to many brothers and sisters, Freddie is survived by his wife of 61 years, Ginger and sons Freddie Jr., Andy, Joe and Victor.
    Funeral arrangements are pending and the family has asked for privacy during this time. All media inquiries should be directed to Scott Wikle via email at [email protected] or by phone at 231-947-6686.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A sad loss, a superb Honky Tonk singer. Best known for "Easy Loving" which was also a Top 40 Crossover hit as well. Freddie Hart, R.I.P. We'll miss you!

melstapler, RSteven and Fender Relic like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Legend

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

R.I.P. Was never crazy for his 70's hits, but he had a lot of great lesser-known singles in the 50's and 60's.

Never knew he did the original version of this one, a perfect instance of the 60's country shuffle sound. Doing a little more reading, it turns out he also originated "Loose Talk" (#1 for Carl Smith) and "The Wall" (most famously by Johnny Cash). Much more to Mr. Hart than just "Easy Loving".

10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Thanks for that Brad.

McLover, RSteven and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  11. BradOlson

You're welcome

McLover likes this.
  12. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

I have a couple of 60's efforts, "The World of Freddie Hart", which compiles many of the early 60's Columbia sides, and several of the mid 60's Kapp albums. "The Neon & The Rain" is a keeper.

melstapler likes this.
  13. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Sad to hear.....RIP

melstapler likes this.
  14. +1

15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

One of the great "Nashville Sound" Countrypolitan artists. Had that magic touch with every song he sang.
    Responsible for some of the most sublime music on the planet.
    Rest In Peace
    [​IMG]

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  16. I’m almost embarrassed to say that my library didn’t have a single disc from this great artist. I just ordered the Bear Family Records CD compilation ‘Juke Joint Boogie’ from Amazon.

Freddie Hart - Juke Joint Boogie

Rest In Peace.

turnersmemo likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I liked Freddie's work for various labels, new and old. And have for many years.

RSteven likes this.
  18. BradOlson

Me too.

RSteven likes this.
  19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Incredibly sad news. Freddie had been working on recent projects, a recording for the upcoming Lefty Frizzell film in addition to an all-new studio album of Gospel material. Lefty was Freddie's best man at his wedding and that says a lot about their friendship. Freddie leaves behind a large, but consistent body of work. Although his back catalog has been severely neglected and overlooked, hopefully reissue labels will come to their senses and make these albums available again. RIP Freddie, we'll never forget you.

Freddie performing live in March 2018
    [​IMG]
    Freddie autographing a guitar in 2018

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I've probably told this story here before, but it seems appropriate to tell it again now.

I was working at a country radio station in 1973, and was emceeing a show Freddie was on along with several other performers. I introduced him from the stage, and then went out into the audience to take in his show.

I ended up seated a row behind four ladies who looked to be maybe in their 40s or so. Freddie finished one song and started into another one. The moment they heard Freddie sing the first couple of notes of this new song, all four of these ladies, as if on cue, simultaneously whipped out their handkerchiefs and started bawling.

The power of music to move people is something I've witnessed many times over the years — but seldom so vividly as then.

RIP Freddie.

melstapler likes this.
  21. melstapler

From the "My Hang Up Is You" LP is Freddie's enjoyable version of 'Would You Settle For Roses,' which also received a fair amount of airplay on country radio. Freddie's later hit country material is instantly recognizable, because of the Freddie Hart organ sound as I explain it to the wife when we hear his songs on SiriusXM.

Cachiva likes this.
  22. melstapler

Freddie Hart wins ACM Award for best album in 1972. Presented by a wooly Kenny Rogers.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Cachiva and Fender Relic like this.
  23. melstapler

-Freddie wrote songs which were recorded by Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Buck Owens, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Bobby “Blue” Bland, Porter Wagoner, Eddy Arnold, Carl Smith, Charlie Rich, Billy Walker, the Louvin Brothers and dozens of others.

-In addition to owning a school for the blind, Freddie also owned a trucking company and a songwriting company.

-Freddie opened a chain of martial arts studios, reflecting his passion as a black belt who reportedly taught karate to LAPD cadets.
    [​IMG]
    Freddie with fellow country legend Narvel Felts
    [​IMG]
    Freddie with David Frizzell

baptistbusman likes this.
  24. melstapler

According to Ray Benson, "Asleep at the Wheel were THE HEARTBEATS in 1971 for a week when Easy Lovin’ was a hit."

clhboa likes this.
  25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

As I'm sure you know, that "organ sound" was produced by a "git-organ," a guitar that was designed in such a way (i.e., with about a million switches) that it sounded like an organ.

I saw one of these within the past year at a traveling guitar exhibition that hit our local art museum. According to the accompanying text, they're pretty rare — mostly due to the fact that they weren't too popular because they were extremely heavy and difficult to play live with.

But one of Freddie's back-up band members definitely had one at the show I mentioned in an earlier post.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.