Free DSD Player for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Smith, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

Can anyone on here point me in the right direction where I can find some free software that plays back DSD files? It seems to be a very incompatible format comparing to PCM. I have some DSD files that I can't play.

My PC is Windows 7.

Thanks

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Korg Audiogate.

beowulf likes this.
  3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

HAmmer and Chris F like this.
  4. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I've installed foobar 2000 but I don't where the foo_input_sacd plug in is. As it is at the moment the foobar 2000 isn't recognising the DSD files.

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Download it using a link in my previous post and install it in foobar using Preferences->Components ->Install option. Then you will be able to configure the plug-in via Preferences->Tools->SACD menu.

6. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

This seems to get you SACD DSD playback in PCM. I.e., it converts to 44.1 / 16 PCM to play back. Is there any way to get an HP Elitebook Laptop to play back in native DSD mode?
    Do I have to download a DSD driver?

7. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I believe you can also play DSD audio on fb2k in native DSD form via a DSD-capable DAC using either ASIOproxy from foo_dsd_asio or, say, an ASIO driver supplied with your DSD DAC (owning a bunch of PCM-only capable USB DACs, I am not that well-versed in native DSD playback though).

8. James_S888

Thanks,
    My guess is the DAC in my laptop is only capable of doing PCM.
    I think what I'll do is see if I can hook up my Laptop to my Oppo and output DSD to the Oppo.
    I'm trying all this for the first time...

9. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I wonder if any laptop/computer soundboard is capable of DSD. I have not seen any.

10. James_S888

My guess is SACD and DSD is too much of a niche to have laptop soundboards set up to convert native DSD.

11. Kal Rubinson

Certainly.

12. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

like testikoff said

13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

How about the $189 Ifi Nano DSD usb dac.

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

If you want to use the DAC of your laptop - i.e. connect an amp to the analogue output of the laptop - you need to set up the SACD plugin to convert the DSD signal to PCM.

If you have a DSD capable external DAC- connected via USB - you can send DSD signals to it directly. The laptop audio chip will not be used, since the external DAC is the audio device the laptop uses for playback.

15. Kal Rubinson

16. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Andrew (OP), do you have hardware that plays DSD or more looking for a converter to play DSD music in PCM?

I'd be happy with converting DSD to PCM 24/88 with AudioGate if it's the latter.

17. hselburn1

hselburn1 New Member

I wonder what the best App (doesn't have to be free) that works with the Oppo HA-2 (which I already have)

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Probably the Onkyo HF Player. The $10 version will allow an iPhone to output just about anything to an HA-2 including DSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.