Free music magazine cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Frank Field, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every now and again one of these compilations becomes a definitive capsule of an era or genre, e.g. the late '90s Sounds Of The New West cd from Uncut which represented the burgeoning alt country/Americana scene.
    I think one of the earlier magazine comps that became famous was the C86 cassette from the NME.
    Would love to hear any other such examples people would rate as great standalone collections.

Hep Alien and ToneLa like this.
  2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

4. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also have one from Mojo where they have The Beatles 'Revolver' covered by a selection of different bands.

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

There's another terrific Uncut CD called Highway 61 Revisited Revisited which is the whole Dylan album covered by such artists as Richmond Fontaine, The Handsome Family, Willard Grant Conspiracy and Paul Westerberg.

Sounds of the New West
    was a real game-changer for me - my introduction to so many incredible bands.

6. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Two of my own favourites to hand are "Blue Christmas" issued with Mojo (January 2005) and "It's a Wonderful Life" issued with Mojo (November 2014). The latter is described as a journey into sound compiled by Siouxsie Sioux and Steven Severin. Both great!

I need to dig out a few more - a compilation done by RHCP; a couple of Black Keys compilations; a Nonesuch Records compilations; a selection of U2 covers done by Q magazine.

CBS 65780 and Frank Field like this.
  7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

When music magazines included actual music (such as flexidiscs, cassettes, CDs), it was an incredible bonus!

To me, sometimes "the music" was a bigger incentive to buy than "the ink".
    (Obviously the ploy employed by the mag.)

The downside is when I'd spot Uncut or Q on the newsstands, but the CD was either:
    1. Removed
    2. Not included, at least in the U.S. , because the CD could not be sold with the mag outside the UK (...due to certain licensing, copyright, publishing, and specific territorial rights?)

...yet sometimes I'd see the magazines that had CDs being sold here at Tower Records.
    So, it may have been an issue determined at the Distributor level.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  8. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Feed Your Head, which came free with Mojo in late 2002 introduced me to 'Maggot Brain' and 'Defecting Grey'. It's still one of my favourite compilation CDs.

10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Have you seen the price of those magazines these days.... not sure "free CD" still applies.

11. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Mojo has been doing them for years and have done some pretty great ones. Not sure if this list is complete but it's worth a look:

Mojo Magazine

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

13. PretzelLogic

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Rolling Stone once gave out a mini disc, but I was never able to play it.

Fullbug and Man at C&A like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Totally crap move from Rolling Stone!

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

In the late nineties, early 2000's the magazine Q had these 'best tracks from the best albums of past year' free-CDs. I discovered quite a few bands just listening to these tracks.

mr_spenalzo likes this.
  17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Wire Magazine Wiretapper series - always worth a listen if you like adventuresome music.

phillyal1, Summerisle and ispace like this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, they should have sent me a complimentary player on which to spin it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I never got round to getting one. I thought the one a friend had was amazing though.

seed_drill likes this.
  20. I got this tape when I was pretty young, and loved it - it gave me a lot of strands to follow up on as a precocious rock music geek. I played the hell out of the followup C86 comp as well - so definitive of the mid-'80s UK indie rock scene that it actually named the movement.

The NME put out another tape around the same time called The World at One, which was my first major exposure to so-called "world music". The NME was really on a roll with its cassette series back then.

21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

22. PretzelLogic

Off piste, as this was a tape, but the Vox magazine attempt at putting together an attempt at a Tarantino soundtrack was quite admirable:
    Various - Abattoir Dogs

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

24. PretzelLogic

Interesting factoid: the guy whose name you often see as compiler on those magazine CDs and tapes, Roy Carr, was a good friend of Keith Moon in the 60s. He was the drummer in a small-time band called The Executives, and used to hang out in Swinging London with Keith.

25. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Yes! One of my all time favourite Christmas discs.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.