Freedb.org - server error?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Is anyone else having problems connecting to freedb? It started yesterday afternoon. A quick google sees some discussion about it on other forums, but I don't see any official notices about estimated time of restoration?

Any news?

2. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Funny, I was having problems last night and did quick search here on the forum and found your old post.

Anyway, I ended up using the MusicBrainz to FreeDB Gateway and it worked.

"http://freedb.musicbrainz.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi"

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I was also having this problem last night too

4. stereoptic

5. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I was not able to connect last night either. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Still can't...

Have you got another link to a gateway like MusicBrainz?

7. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Did you try "http://freedb.musicbrainz.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi" ?

8. stereoptic

Musicbrainz just supplied the wrong information (artist, album title, every song) for "A Different Kind of Christmas", and I wasn't given a choice for another title. I tried two other more popular CDs and those were OK.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, I tried exactly that on EAC, but for 2 classical CDs, it provided wrong and/or no information... but it should be the same info than on the regular cddb, right?

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I can use Foobar to access it, but can't use dbpoweramp to access it.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

On my old computer, if nothing came up on freedb through Exact Audio Copy (EAC), I used to be able to open MusicMatch, which would get the info through whatever database it uses, then I would get that information into EAC by selecting "Get info from cdplayer.ini" on EAC.

Since moving to a new computer, I can never get that trick to work, but I never knew how to play around with cdplayer.ini anyway. It was just stroke of luck that I discovered I could do that on my old computer. Anyone know how to do that generally on a computer?

12. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I just tested a few more CDs and some of the data collected came up incorrectly. When I tried my Starship - Knee Deep in the Hoopla CD, it came back with the choice of Black Sabbath - Mob Rules and Starship - KDITH.

It doesn't look like the MusicBrainz to FreeDB gateway is very reliable and I'm really not sure if the information being retrieved is from the same cddb database.

I just tried this with iTunes on my PC and it didn't work. I was really hoping it did.

13. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I was trying to rip a CD the other day using EAC and got this error. I googled it to try and find a solution and it turns out a lot of people are having the same problem. I tried several different server url's recommended in different forums, all to no avail.

14. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Can't connect to freedb in EAC, but can in Foobar. Wtf?! :confused:

Edit: I found on the EAC this server address: http://freedb2.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi This is the server Foobar uses.

I had to fight with EAC a few times - it wouldn't let me paste it in at first, for some reason beyond my comprehension. Works now.

15. Grant

Foobar just quit working for me.

16. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

I can't connect to freedb either and it's pissing me off. I'm glad I found this thread, as I thought it was just me and I was ready to break something.

17. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Me too. Maybe it's just down for a few days? I think this happened once before.

When I tried this link:

http://freedb2.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

It said 409 No Handshake

How do you plug this link into this EAC database options? Will it even make a difference? When I tried to get a list of active freedb servers it said "Error - Can't Connect Host."

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Had the same problem - it happened to coincide with EAC deciding it hadn;t been installed so I thought it was a different problem :nyah:

Anyway, I found this url after a few googles (see here):

http://freedb2.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

It's been working fine for me since yesterday.

I say fine - EAC now doesn't pick up any freedb data automatically anymore so I have to force it to look using ALT+G. Anyone know why that would be?

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Pull down the EAC options menu - select the freedb/database option - replace the current url with the freedb2 one.

Should work after that :righton:

20. Grant

Yup, entering "freedb2.org" works!:thumbsup!

21. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

22. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Well, it's been four years and accessing freedb is still as aggravating as ever! On average, only 1 out of 10 tries will result in an actual CD identification. The rest of the time I get either a server error or an HTTP protocol error, and that's after waiting and waiting while EAC "requests the CD information" from the database. Many times, after trying again and again and waiting and waiting, freedb will finally give me a window with a couple of different entries only to choose one and get another server error! :mad:

Currently I am using this URL:

http://freedb.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

Is there a more reliable address or are these errors just something we're going to have to deal with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.