Friday Music to release 'complete' LP version of David Bowie '1. Outside' for Black Friday

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grouploner, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Bowie's twitter account...

FRIDAY MUSIC TO ISSUE OUTSIDE FOR BLACK FRIDAY

“The music is outside...”

Friday Music will release their fifth Bowie 180g audiophile coloured vinyl for Black Friday on November 27th.

Housed in their trademark tri-fold sleeve, 1. Outside will be released for the first time on vinyl in its entirety. It will be issued as a double album pressed on white vinyl.

A single disc version titled Excerpts From Outside was released on vinyl originally, but it omitted several tracks and had edits of others.

Released in September 1995, the Bowie/Eno/Richards produced album was a Top 10 hit in the UK where it reached #8.

Three singles were released from 1. Outside: The Hearts Filthy Lesson, Hallo Spaceboy and Strangers When We Meet.

Tracklisting:

SIDE ONE
    1. LEON TAKES US OUTSIDE
    2. OUTSIDE
    3. THE HEART’S FILTHY LESSON
    4. A SMALL PLOT OF LAND

SIDE TWO
    1. SEGUE-BABY GRACE (A HORRID CASSETTE)
    2. HALLO SPACEBOY
    3. THE MOTEL
    4. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO OXFORD TOWN

SIDE THREE
    1. NO CONTROL
    2. SEGUE-ALGERIA TOUCHSHRIEK
    3. THE VOYEUR OF UTTER DESTRUCTION (AS BEAUTY)
    4. SEGUE-RAMONA A. STONE/ I AM WITH NAME
    5. WISHFUL BEGINNINGS

SIDE FOUR
    1. WE PRICK YOU
    2. SEGUE-NATHAN ADLER
    3. I’M DERANGED
    4. THRU’ THESE ARCHITECTS EYES
    5. SEGUE-NATHAN ADLER (VERSION #2)
    6. STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET

Here are the release dates of all five Bowie albums Friday Music are issuing in 2015:

Heathen (translucent blue) - August 7
    Reality (transparent) - September 25
    'hours...' (translucent blue) - November 20
    Earthling (translucent green) - November 27 (Black Friday/RSD release)
    1. Outside (white) - November 27 (Black Friday release)

Sean, Daniel Plainview and mrzpliff like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'd put good money on it being the CD pressed to vinyl.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Could be anything if it's Friday Music. If Kevin Gray's name is on the cover, it's probably mastered from the original tapes. If not, yes, could be a cool looking inferior delivery system for the CD.

5. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's quite possible. It's also (remotely) possible that the vinyl mastering had been done for the future 'Outside' vinyl / CD release that Bowie will (hopefully eventually) release through Parlophone (Rhino? I lose track of who owns what anymore).

I am, of course, assuming the series beginning this week with the 'Five Years' box continues, that is.

And, I'm not all that excited about Bowie having Friday Music putting out these vinyl releases, as I've not had good luck at all with their pressing quality in the past. Some have been good, but most have been very sub-par, in terms of warps and surface noise. And I know that lots of folks had issues with surface noise on the blue vinyl 'Heathen' they released a few months back (I have 2 copies of the original US, and the recent Music On Vinyl issue, so I passed on the blue vinyl...mostly BECAUSE it was on Friday Music). Their mastering is hit-and-miss as well.

So of course, only time will tell. I know lots of folks have been waiting for this (myself included), so I figured it was worth a mention.

Perhaps there will be a corresponding Music On Vinyl issue for the European market...I know that some people don't like their stuff, but I've always found their vinyl pressings to be quite good, quiet and flat.

6. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I am hopeful they are using the best source possible. Wasn't it recorded digitally to begin with? My recent Heathen purchase was very good. It seems there have been some pressing issues with it though-- my copy is pretty good (one side is slightly off-center.) Aren't they pressing this series at RTI?

7. obi

obi Forum Resident

vonwegen and Daniel Plainview like this.
  8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

You'll end up paying good money to find out!

9. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

10. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

for the majority of labels/consumers, "audiophile vinyl" = 180g.

my first Friday Music purchase was their CD remaster of "hours..." and it was junk. Reagoso's "remastering" took a loud, bright master and made it brighter. it also synced 100% with the original CD which told me that the effort involved was minimal (i.e. the source was the original CD).

my second purchase was the recent blue vinyl Heathen. i can only comment on the artwork (poor) because the record was inaccessible due to a manufacturing error. returned for a replacement with the same issue at which point i decided they'd had their last money from me. poor artwork, lousy customer service and a general sense of bowie colored vinyl bandwagon-jumping mean i'll be passing on any future Friday releases.

i've said it before, but a bowie release used to be an event. now it's a monthly occurrence, and most of the time a blatant cash grab.

scobb and BlueSpeedway like this.
  11. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Received the Friday Music Reality this week. Sounds lovely. I've also recently purchased the MOV ...hours but was rather let down by the artwork (very fuzzy and full of digital artefacts, basically a low res scan enlarged). I wonder if the forthcoming FM reissue will be the same...

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

After selling two original copies through the years I just bought another, a Near Mint "Excerpts From Outside".

After all I have heard about Friday Music (daft name by the way) I guess that will do for now. At some point there HAS to be a widely available full vinyl version of "Outside".

13. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Same fuzzy blown up artwork. I and several people at the store all thought Hours sounded pretty flat. I kinda regret buying it and probably should have just bought the MOV version on eBay. The record label was also bubbly where the glue didn't adhere well.

I feel like saying no more Friday Music, but I guess I'll get Outside.

14. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Can someone who owns the original Euro pressing of Outside, please buy this new 2LP reissue and let us know how they compare sound quality wise :laughup:

15. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Friday Music - a label to avoid.
    Mostly CD files pressed to vinyl. Nicely packaged to move product.
    Cheap to produce and time effective - this guy Reagoso doesn't have to do much. So profitable at the price.
    A con is a con by any name.

16. Neonbeam

Yo man, if you transfer the money to my Paypal account, I'm gonna do it!!!!

Turntable likes this.
  17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

They do a great job on the Elvis Presley vinyl reissues, however a Santana reissue I bought is ordinary.

18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I sent the Elvis ones back. With a note to lift the quality of their product.
    I have originals and the Friday reissues make it painfully obvious that the Elvis reissues were low rez. digi...

19. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Which ones?

As Moody Blue, Loving You, Elvis, Elvis from Memphis, A Date with Elvis are all analog from the original tapes with Kevin Gray.

20. Daniel Plainview

I certainly will.....when the new LP arrives....if it does.....

Turntable likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Have you preordered it? I was considering it but not for your typical inflated RSD price. This thing is 50+€ over here. And - of course - some "clever" blokes already offer it as "presale" on thE bay. Like others I'm a bid fed up with recent limited Bowie releases.

22. Daniel Plainview

Pre-ordered from Amazon. $42.

23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Has anyone heard the Outside RSD release yet?

I ordered past midnight via acoustic sounds last night ($44.98)

They don't have the friday music green vinyl Earthling listed

May or may not open it
    Depending on the remastering

Should have waited on the horrid Peter Gabriel 45 remasters

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Friday's version of Heathen was one of the noisiest, crackliest messes I've ever heard. The first two I tried were truly appalling, and the third, though better, had foreign matter in the vinyl causing a thump when the stylus hit it. I finally gave up and ordering the MoV version instead, and it was absolutely perfect. After that, I ordered the rest of the MoV Bowie releases and they were all perfect.

Overall I'm very happy with Excerpts from Outside and feel it works better as a concept album with the chunk of extra material removed. "Thru' These Architects Eyes" and "Strangers When We Meet" are both gorgeous songs, and I adore them ... but they don't fit with the rest of the record. That being said, I'd still like to have the complete 1. Outside on vinyl, but I'm holding off on ordering this until I've seen a general consensus for it being a good or bad pressing.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Wonder if MOV will do this one for the EU market eventually...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.