From a musical perspective I think Al Stewarts 'Year...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

...Of The Cat' is great. I wonder what the problem is though in bringing out a sonically good version. The last version that I had was the MO-FI 'silver' CD but I got rid of it a couple of years ago. The sound was very dead and gave the impression of being "muffled" to some degree. Also the lead in piano solo on the title cut was reproduced at an extremely low (almost inaudible) level to minimize the horrendous S/N due to tape hiss. On the previous CD the hiss was right into the music. I don't remember any of the vinyl pressings being that bad.

Anyone know if there is a problem with the masters other than the S/N one?

I would really like to see this redone to the best that is possible even if the masters aren't that good. I wish there were a way of finding out what the real situation is. Maybe we'll get lucky and there is a good master out there somewhere.

2. KCJay

KCJay Guest

You may want to check out the new remaster available from Amazon.com UK...I just received it and it sounds great.....has some bonus material as well, a couple of live songs and an interview

3. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

According to some older threads on this forum, the MoFi CD is still the one to go... I have it, too, and I think it sounds marvellous. Wasn't the new remaster made by one of our friends, Jon Astley (a.k.a. "RemAstleyr") or Peter Mew (a.k.a. "ReMewster")?
    Happy listening anyway!
    Thomas

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I have an original "Manufactured In Japan" Arista CD that sounds decent. However, I have never heard the MFSL silver disc, that a lot of people on this forum seem to favor.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

A re-mastered Canadian version is listed up here so I'll have to check and see what it's all about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.