From Bauhaus to Peter Murphy and Love & Rockets *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven in 5.1 is great. Would love to get more of them. Neil Wilkes did an excellent job on the mix.

BlueSpeedway and jamesc like this.
  2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I've heard great things about the vinyl reissues too! If you have a surround setup, the recent release of the first album on Blu-ray Audio is amazing.

3. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

My main focus is two channel, so consequently my surround rig is a hodgepodge of speakers I had laying around lol. I am thinking of getting an Elac Debut package from Amazon though. If I do, I'll definitely pick it up

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Got the first four albums delivered today but my wife asked me not to open them so she and the mother in law can give me them for Christmas. Ugh! Lol.

One weird thing is 3 of them are 150 gram colored vinyl, and one is 200 gram black vinyl. Kind of wish they were all colored. Oh well, sound quality is the important thing. I'll let you guys know what I think on the 25th or 26th...

JeffMo likes this.
  5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I was fortunate enough to purchase a copy of their album, LIFT, on vinyl in a cutout bin a couple of years ago. I love this album but wish the production had a lot more dynamics. Here's hoping that one gets some love.

JeffMo likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

For those that may be interested in Murphy's Deep, 1989. Two pop-ups exist, one with A Strange Kind of Love (Version Two) and one without. Make sure to track down 2174 for the extra track.

blaken123, jamesc and Paully like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I have liked Love and Rockets since Express. I liked Bauhaus before them and have enjoyed their various solo and side projects. I could not care less about the various limited releases and whatever else. I like their music. That’s it.

8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just noticed that Holiday on the Moon isn't on Express!?! That sucks, its probably my favorite song on my old CD of that album.

JeffMo likes this.
  9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

It’s a very cool song, but it was always out of place in the CD to me as it wasn’t on the original LP. I’m not a vinyl die hard, but you should get a UK Kundalini Express 12” which had Moon on the flipside. It sounds huge...awesome. As I’ve raved before on the thread, the UK 1980 - 1988 4AD / Situation 2 / Beggars Banquet 12” singles for Bauhaus, Tones on Tail and Love and Rockets sound amazing.

And Kundalini Express b/w Lucifer Sam and Holiday on the Moon is possibly the best of the lot :righton:

I wouldn’t bother though with any US or Canadian ones, as by the sound of the ones I had over the years, they used copy tapes and you can hear the difference.

jamesc and SirMarc like this.
  10. BlueSpeedway

Haskins, Ash and Diva aka Poptone have just signed an album deal with Cleopatra Records... :righton:

Tristero, jamesc and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What?!?

That might be my favorite L&R song overall and had forgotten it was actually a b-side originally.

jamesc and SirMarc like this.
  12. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

JeffMo and BlueSpeedway like this.
  13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I never warmed to Peter Murphy’s solo stuff, nor Daniel Ash’s. I have David J’s Urban Urbane and love the Sonics and music, but it is a seriously depressing album.

I grew up with Bauhaus, Tones On Tail, and Love And Rockets. All that stuff is in my blood.

jsayers likes this.
  14. BlueSpeedway

There’s individual tracks I play a lot from Ash solo stuff... eg Walk on the Moon, Trouble (American Psycho version), Walk This Way.

His 1992 Foolish Thing Desire album had great songs but was way over-produced and drenched in reverb. In the mid 2000s Ash said his older solo stuff ie 1990-92, had dated badly, in terms of sonics, as well as Murphy’s.

15. BlueSpeedway

:righton:

Nice 47 minute audio interview with Daniel Ash from a couple of weeks ago. Quite a lengthy one for him. Great interviewer knows what he’s talking about, with some nice laughs about him aged 15 dressing up as Ash! Interesting stuff on royalties, motorbikes, technology and more. Ash is such a nice, cool guy.

Jammerzine Exclusive: An Interview with Daniel Ash | Jammerzine

Next leg of the Poptone tour (West Coast) coming in May, and their June Cleopatra Records CD/2LP is now up for pre order at bandcamp etc.

Poptone, by Poptone

Ash also has some new solo material out.

Daniel Ash

Cleopatra have also now published Kevin Haskins deluxe hardback book about the Bauhaus years.

Bauhaus – Undead “The Visual History and Legacy of Bauhaus” (Book) – Cleopatra Records Store

Peter Murphy with a band featuring David J are planning a world tour according to Murphy’s website, on top of the SF shows they’ve already announced.

Peter Murphy Official Site

:righton:

jamesc, Runicen, vertigone and 2 others like this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@morgan1098 reported on another thread that Peter Murphy has a boxset coming out soon.

morgan1098 likes this.
  17. BlueSpeedway

I just searched “Murphy” under that user and there was no mention of it. Any more info?

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

19. BlueSpeedway

JeffMo likes this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

Doesn’t seem to be a European release.

Possibly due to Should the World and Love Hysteria albums being already licensed to Cherry Red? Rather annoying.
    _____

Thoughts to the late Norm Apter, who started this thread, a sweet guy who was a big fan of Peter solo, more than Bauhaus etc. He would probably have loved that set. RIP Norm :(

Carlox, jamesc, Runicen and 4 others like this.
  21. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Desperately need some more vintage Bauhaus live material - there must be plenty in the vaults.... you would think.

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Was really hoping for a Sky's Gone Out deluxe set. Also a Bela release with everything they did prior to Flat Field. And a Burning deluxe. Shame they stopped after two releases. Those were great and the mastering was quite nice. Shame they switched to brick walling for the remasters on that 5CD set.

jamesc and Runicen like this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have mixed feelings when I see one of Norm’s many excellent threads pop up. Happy to see his posts since he was probably the nicest guy on here. Sad he is no longer around to discuss our shared love of so many of the same albums and bands.

Carlox and BlueSpeedway like this.
  24. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Pre-order at Qobuz as well (16/44.1 - 9,99 €)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

The 5CD set uses exactly the same 2009 masters for In the Flat Field and Mask as the earlier deluxe versions you mention.

They’re quite loud, but are they brickwalled or just a bit clipped? I’ve never looked. But I do prefer the remasters of The Sky’s Gone Out (available in the 5CD box set only) and Mask (available in the box set, a CD/vinyl combo and in the deluxe) over older versions, as despite their loudness, they have an unprocessed clarity and very different sound to the previous, processed by Ian Gillespie, digital sounding 1988 onwards Beggars Banquet CDs made for Europe / US / Canada / Japan.

The Burning From the Inside remaster in the 5CD set though, sounds to me only like a louder version of the Gillespie version.

My favourite In the Flat Field CD is the first, 1988, Nimbus mastered CADCD version (not the later GADCD release). Although to confuse me further, its classic opener Double Dare sounds best on the 1989 RCA/Beggars Banquet BBC Sessions CD!

jamesc and Runicen like this.