From Bauhaus to Peter Murphy and Love & Rockets *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 30, 2010.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Came across a copy of E/S/M at the record shop for $5. It was a music club release, but it had a bunch of extra ink squiggles on the cover. ;) I think this is the third copy of this CD that I have purchased over the years. Hoping this one doesn't grow legs.

blaken123 likes this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I used to have a fabulous multi track BBC Radio 1 broadcast of Glasgow Tiffany’s 1983 on cassette I bought in Camden London circa 1985. It went missing in 1993. The recording is still aroumd, but none sound as good as my cassette. I wonder if Beggars have that?

They do have the awesome final UK concert Love and Rockets gave, at the beautiful old London Dominion Theatre in March 1988, which took place to be filmed for a video release that never happened. The photos on the rear of their fourth (eponymous) LP are stills from the film... :(

JeffMo likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

We need some L&R live archival releases!

BlueSpeedway and jamesc like this.
  4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, the 5CD has the Omnibus masterings for Flat Field and Mask. Those aren't brick walled. I was referring to the newer masterings found in the set. They're way too loud for me. I much prefer the BB CDs for Sky and Burning and singles tracks. Though I'm very glad they finally released "Spirit in the Sky" digitally and can get passed the mastering since it's far superior to the bootlegs.

I like the '98 Flat Field best but the '88 is quite good as well. As is the Omnibus/5CD. I agree about Double Dare sounding better on BBC Sessions.

5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Mixed feelings on this as I already have the two disc releases of Should the World and Love Hysteria. Still, this'll be a "must buy" for the bonus tracks. Hoping the mastering isn't borked...

Was the 5 CD set really that bad? I've seen some glowing reviews of the sound quality, claiming The Sky's Gone Out and Burning from the Inside are definitive in that presentation. Granted, I have no idea what those reviews were based on. Could have been a half-deaf person listening on earbuds via an iPhone for all I know...

JeffMo likes this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

IMO, yes. Terribly loud masterings for Sky. Burning wasn't as bad, but still think it's too loud and prefer BB. Singles is a mixture of too loud and terribly loud, depending on the track. Also, Sky has some glitches that are bothersome.

Runicen likes this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

But for the 5 CD box, the Omnibus remasters were used for In the Flat Field and Mask, and those sound great, in my opinion. But yes, Sky from that set sounds terrible, and I agree that Burning isn't as bad, but isn't great either. So, the 5 CD box is only recommendable for people who'd like the good remasters of Field and Mask, but who don't want to buy the Omnibus boxes for those titles.

I know it's been said before, but it really is a shame they couldn't continue the Omnibus series with Sky and Burning.

Runicen likes this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Only thing of any value to me in the 5CD (already having the Omnibus sets), was "Spirit in the Sky" so I just bought the hi-res download for that track.

9. BlueSpeedway

I just had a re-listen to the 5CD Sky and I still like it, as a CD. There’s probably some EQ boosting as well as volume, but it works on CD...check out J’s bass on In the Night...
    I much prefer it on the 5CD :hide: ..and while annoying, the two tape glitches are just about forgivable on a cheapo set (I paid £15 on release). The original vinyl is much better, although I’m not a vinyl diehard per se...:)..ie I’m not a fan of the original vinyl for Mask or Burning, they’re not bad, but I get my favourite CD versions out to hear those. But no CD comes close to the Sky and Field original UK LPs for me.

Runicen likes this.
  10. BlueSpeedway

An original minty Sanity Assassin / Spirit in the Sky fan club 45 recently sold in London for £500 / $600.... :eek:

rnranimal likes this.
  11. BlueSpeedway

I don’t think I have the 98 Field any more, but will check it out.

12. BlueSpeedway

There’s a “new” Beggars Banquet version of The Sky’s Gone Out CD out in the UK. A repackaged jewel case version that (wisely) dumps the horrible black/red spine and back cover that was around for years. It’s now got a close up of the front cover on the back, with the song titles inside the circle of Daniel Ash’s artwork. The tray is now black and the spine / disc are are now black and white.

Perhaps strangely though, it’s not the (very clear and fat but very loud, with tape glitches) latest remaster, but seems to be the old BBLCD remaster (with bonus tracks). I was dazzled by the clarity of the latest remaster at the time but I now think the BBLCD is the best bet really. The earlier BEGACD pressed by Nimbus was very similar, maybe a tad brighter / clearer.

jamesc and villiers terrace like this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

So, I’ve been on a bit of a studio bauhaus CD headphone comparison kick lately for the first time in a while. Here’s a few updated thoughts on what I have, for anyone interested..

_____

Swing the Heartache (1989 Nimbus UK): Double Dare, Third Uncle and Ziggy Stardust sound really good. As most of us know, these are the BBC session recordings but were used as final versions on albums / singles. I didn’t listen to the other tracks but it’s a good CD.

_____

Crackle (1998 UK): John Dent mastered. A very good CD. Like all the Dent remasters (eg Numan, Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Love and Rockets), maybe slightly louder than older ones but better in many ways).

_____

In the Flat Field (2009 John Dent remaster, also in 5 albums box): Beefier and bassier than the others but not too loud or too goosed up for me.

In the Flat Field (1988 CADCD Nimbus UK): Good, a little bright and bass shy.

In the Flat Field
    (UK 1998 GADCD): Similar to the above, maybe a little more bass.

In the Flat Field (2004 Japanese mini LP): Seems to be a brightened version of the GADCD.

_____

Mask (1988 BEGACD Nimbus UK): Good, a little bright and bass shy. Sounds much like the original vinyl.

Mask (2004 Japanese mini LP): Probably a brightened version of the European BBLCD (which I have but is currently AWOL!)

Mask (2009 John Dent remaster, also in 5 albums box): Essential for fans of the album. Whatever he did (better source? pre-reverb source? mid range boost?) suits the album, which to me is significantly different to and better than any vinyl or other CD of it.

______

The Sky’s Gone Out (5 albums box remaster): Good source used, but at least two noticeable tape issues, and pretty loud. Outro intact (see below).

The Sky’s Gone Out (1988 BEGACD Nimbus UK): Good, a little bright and bass shy. Missing the voice outro on Side 2 by producer Derek Tompkins.

The Sky’s Gone Out
    (European BBLCD - year unknown): Almost the same as the above, maybe slightly less bright. Outro missing,

The Sky’s Gone Out (2004 Japanese mini LP): Seems to be a brightened version of the above BBLCD. Outro missing.

The Sky’s Gone Out (UK BBLCD 2018 with revised packaging): Similar or the same as the other BBLCD. Outro missing.

_____

Burning From the Inside (1988 BEGACD Nimbus UK): Good, a little bright and bass shy.

Burning From the Inside (European BBLCD - year unknown): Almost the same as the above, maybe slightly less bright.

Burning From the Inside (2004 Japanese mini LP): Seems to be a brightened version of the above BBLCD.

Burning From the Inside
    (5 albums box remaster): Sounds to me like only a volume boosted version of one or all of the above.

_____

1979-1983 (Japanese 1994 2CD fatbox): Uses 1986 CD masters, not huge on clarity, but fans of unremastered non-boosted old CDs will probably like them. Very enjoyable cranked up very loud on headphones!

1979-1983 (2004 mini LP 2CD): Seems to be a brightened and therefore slightly better / clearer version of the above unprocessed 1986 masters.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Runicen, jamesc and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks for breakdown Speedway.
    I only have a US Burning, sounds fine-Good bass, but somewhat bright on a few tunes, just figured it was the way it was recorded/mixed. Kinda reminds me of some of the Banshees recordings
    Peaks-
    Analyzed: Bauhaus / Burning From The Inside
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR9 -5.41 dB -16.07 dB 5:45 01-She's In Parties
    DR11 -2.93 dB -16.22 dB 4:09 02-Antonin Artaud
    DR9 -12.89 dB -28.99 dB 0:20 03-Wasp
    DR12 -3.95 dB -17.87 dB 3:32 04-King Volcano
    DR11 -3.40 dB -19.44 dB 4:56 05-Who Killed Mr. Moonlight
    DR12 -2.93 dB -17.54 dB 3:44 06-Slice of Life
    DR11 -4.14 dB -16.99 dB 2:55 07-Honeymoon Croon
    DR11 -5.14 dB -20.25 dB 2:27 08-Kingdom's Coming
    DR11 -3.08 dB -16.91 dB 9:28 09-Burning from the Inside
    DR12 -4.25 dB -18.13 dB 3:17 10-Hope

15. BlueSpeedway

Oh I forgot I have that A&M one. I think my one distorts on the title track? I’ll try to find it, I might be mistaken or it might have rotted!

c-eling likes this.
  16. Pavol Stromcek

I still agree that this remaster is quite good. I don't know what all Dent did, but it sure sounds like gave it a midrange boost. Also, the recent vinyl reissue of this album utilizes this remaster.

rnranimal likes this.
  17. BlueSpeedway

The vinyl was strangely disappointing to me. It was still the same master, but it just sounded so similar to the CD I sold it.

18. BlueSpeedway

Carlox, Runicen, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  19. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Bauhaus co-founders Peter Murphy and David J Haskins are set to celebrate the band’s 40th Anniversary with a “Ruby Celebration” tour, named after the gemstone issued for 40 year wedding anniversaries.

The tour sees the two as half of the quartet in the group hailed as The Godfathers of Goth playing their debut album In The Flat Field in its entirety, as well as promising an extended encore of Bauhaus classics during dates scheduled this autumn across Europe and Australia.

http://www.post-punk.com/peter-murp...s-40th-anniversary-ruby-celebration-tour/amp/

Really want to see this, as I never did get to see Bauhaus, neither in the 80s nor in the later reformations. Great band with a quite unique sound.

Runicen, jimhb, Dave 81828384 and 2 others like this.
  20. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I'm hoping they will tour the US... but they will really be missing Kevin Haskins and Daniel Ash.

Runicen likes this.
  21. Pavol Stromcek

If Daniel and Kevin, aren't involved, I'm not interested.

22. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

The album and BBC versions of Third Uncle are different. The Guitar parts are unique.

23. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Same here. This is more or less another Peter Murphy Bauhaus cash-in on the band name without the complete band, something he's been doing for the past few years with his solo band.

I will say I am surprised David J is involved in this as the talk was the bust-up between Murphy and the rest of the band in '06 during the recording of "Go Away White" was basically Murphy against the other 3 guys, not one band member in particular. Something which was sort of born out by the subsequent Love And Rockets reunion.

But then again, DJ isn't involved with Ash and Haskins and their current Poptone band so clearly there's some sort of new rift with these guys. It's funny how the four members split off in various configurations over their career but seem to have the most trouble working all together in one band.

24. BlueSpeedway

You might have a mastering of the album that maybe makes them sound different, but they’re not. Third Uncle on the album is the BBC Maida Vale recorded version and always has been.

Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out

25. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

I really like Dalis Car and listen to The Waking Hour and In Glad Aloneness more often that I do the others.
    The more pop music does not have enough of a soundscape (for lack of a better descriptor) to keep my attention.
    As an aside I am listening to The Concrete Twin [Mick Karn] at this very moment. :)

jimhb likes this.