From Bauhaus to Peter Murphy and Love & Rockets *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 30, 2010.

1. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

It was taken from The Devil and Daniel Mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kubYWqj8Uhc

That's a clip of the section Bauhaus used.

2. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I can upload it for you if you still want to hear it. It adds another instrumental section at the beginning and I think it's a bit longer towards the end.

According to Glenn Campling, this was the first song they recorded as a unit and the song was very different at that stage. They re-recorded it for the released version but I'd love to hear those outtakes. Apparently Daniel isn't interested in re-visiting the past.

3. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

Wow...really? I think "Deep" needs to be remastered (possibly remixed) to bring that bass guitar up. Probably one the most anemic-sounding discs in my collection.

Carlox likes this.
  4. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

I always thought Bauhaus were a bit ridiculous - the moves, the music and particularly Peter Murphy, who seemed to impersonate Bowie a little too closely, especially when the "Ziggy Stardust" cover came out. I bought "Burning From The Inside" at the time, which sounded okay to me but I guess that doesn't really count as it wasn't a proper Bauhaus album.

Murphy's first two solo albums passed me by completely, but I really liked "Deep", which I bought myself as a present after doing my A-levels. I remember I was blown away by the sound. I found "Should The World Fail To Fall Apart" in the bargain bins some time later and enjoyed most of it, the side openers in particular, which reminded me of the band Japan. Judging by the live versions of those tracks, which I believe were included on some 12" records, I would have loved to see Murphy touring that album, not least because Billy Mackenzie/Associates collaborator L. Howard Hughes was playing keyboards and guitars, as I later found out. As with all of Murphy's early solo albums, I guess the drum machines can get a bit annoying, which goes for the - otherwise fantastic - Dalis Car album too. Like many others, I lost interest when "Holy Smoke" came out (what a horrible cover!).

I finally saw Bauhaus at a reunion gig in 2005 in London but wasn't impressed at all. That said, Murphy's voice still sounded phenomenal.

Apparently a second Dalis Car album will be released at some point in the future, featuring some of Mick Karn's final recordings. Should be interesting.

Reading this thread makes me want to check out some early Love & Rockets. I think all I ever heard was "So Alive"...

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

You're not necessarily wrong, but to be fair their Ziggy cover (and its artwork) was a deliberate act of provocation in relation to sections of the British music press, who had spent two years slagging off Bauhaus as Bowie copyists. Ironically Murphy onstage at that time was actually far, far closer to Iggy in appearance and moves, he never resembled any of Bowie's eras visually, only vocally, and there's little Bauhaus music that sounds like Bowie. Murphy in Bauhaus also IMHO seems to have unduly suffered from being too close timewise to the eras/people he was influenced by; when Bauhaus started making a name for themselves in 1979-80 Bowie and Iggy were still young(ish), powerful figures, so the press could easily try to dismiss Murphy and the group as second-rate and pointless. But fast forward 10 years to 1990 and you get Suede, with IMHO blatantly Bowie-cloned vocals and song structures getting major UK critical acclaim, because the arrogant UK critics seemed to decide it was OK now for the kids to have a Bowie/Iggy "replacement" group
    as enough time had passed since Bowie/Iggy's "glory days".

To their credit, I remember some of the music papers later admitted, in posthumous release reviews and re their 1998 reformation, that Bauhaus were treated unfairly first time around.

6. BlueSpeedway

Thanks for the description, I think I'll keep looking for the CD if it is indeed a longer version. Should have got it in 1998, I saw several copies around that time!

7. serge

serge Forum Resident

Finally ordered LIFT... it took courage.. although I loved Hot Trip to Heaven so I'm hopeful!

I even found the LP although by ordering form musicstack i subsequently learned I paid 33% more for some reason! :(

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

No talk about his solo tour across the US next month?

9. serge

serge Forum Resident

SoundAdvice, I'm going to check out Peter Murphy on April 1.. never have seen him... I'm more of a love and rockets guy but i hear he's great live.

10. SoundAdvice

Did the tour start last night in Seattle?
    http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/02/01/peter-murphy-tour-dates-us-spring/
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/02/peter-murphy-maps-out-spring-tour/

March 8: Dante’s, Portland, OR
    March 9: Mezzanine , San Francisco, CA
    March 10: Rio Theatre, Santa Cruz, CA
    March 11: Majestic Ventura Theatre, Ventura, CA
    March 13: Galaxy Theatre, Santa Ana, CA
    March 14: Mayan Theater, Los Angeles, CA
    March 15: The Rialto, Tucson, AZ
    March 17: Marchesa Hall & Theatre, Austin, TX
    March 18: Granada Theater, Dallas, TX
    March 19: Numbers, Houston, TX
    March 22: Republic, New Orleans, LA
    March 23: Vinyl Music Hall, Pensacola, FL
    March 24: Freebird Live, Jacksonville, FL
    March 25: State Theatre, St. Petersburg, FL
    March 27: Culture Room, Fort Lauderdale, FL
    March 29: The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC
    March 30: Norva, Norfolk, VA
    March 31: The National, Richmond, VA
    April 1: State Theatre, Falls Church, VA
    April 2: Highline Ballroom, New York, NY
    April 3: Bourbon Street Ballroom, Baltimore, MD
    April 6: Diesel Club Lounge, Pittsburgh, PA
    April 8: Musica, Akron, OH
    April 9: Royal Oak Music Theatre, Royal Oak, MI
    April 10: Reggie’s Rock Club, Chicago, IL

Sept 9th 2010 setlist Portugal:

1.Intro
    (Zikir)
    2.Low Room
    3.Raw Power
    (The Stooges cover)
    4.Velocity Bird
    5.Cuts You Up
    6.Subway
    7.Silent Hedges
    8.All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
    9.A Strange Kind of Love
    (With "Bela Lugosi's Dead" snippet)
    10.The Prince and Old Lady Shade
    11.Deep Ocean Vast Sea
    12.Stigmata Martyr
    13.Dark Entries
    14.Uneven and Brittle
    Encore:
    15.Third Uncle
    (Brian Eno cover)
    16.Burning From the Inside
    17.She's in Parties
    Encore 2:
    18.Ziggy Stardust
    (David Bowie cover)
    19.Space Oddity
    (David Bowie cover)
    Encore 3:
    20.Transmission
    (Joy Division cover)
    21.Telegram Sam
    (T. Rex cover)
    22.Hurt
    (Nine Inch Nails cover)

11. serge

serge Forum Resident

man thats a heck of a setlist

12. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I will see him in Chicago..Great live....

13. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be there in Pittsburgh on 4/6. I last saw PM live here about three years ago and it was an excellent show with a diverse setlist. My recent discovery of his Joy Division covers with Nine Inch Nails only stokes my enthusiasm for seeing him live again.

14. serge

serge Forum Resident

I can't believe how brutal his tour schedule is .. the show I'm going to in falls church on 4-1 will be his 10th night in a row singing! And he'll go a total of 12 nights in a row... thats nuts.

15. SoundAdvice

I don't see shows listed on the 26th/28th which break up that run a bit. 5 days weeks on tour can be tough, though the east coast is less travel.

16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I just wish he would come to Colorado. He has skipped us on the last couple of tours.

17. serge

serge Forum Resident

well..there is a show on the 26th but none on the 28th.this is from his website...this would be brutal for a 20 year old.

Mon (3/7) - Seattle, WA @ Studio 7… Tickets / RSVP
    Tue (3/8) - Portland, OR @ Dante's… Tickets / RSVP
    Wed (3/9) - San Francisco, CA @ Mezzanine… Tickets / RSVP
    Thu (3/10) - Santa Cruz, CA @ Rio… Tickets / RSVP
    Fri (3/11) - Ventura,CA @ Ventura Theatre… Tickets / RSVP
    Sun (3/13) - Santa Ana, CA @ Galaxy… Tickets / RSVP
    Mon (3/14) - Los Angeles, CA @ Mayan Theatre… Tickets / RSVP
    Tue (3/15) - Tucson, AZ @ Rialto… Tickets / RSVP
    Thu (3/17) - Austin, TX @ Marchesa… Tickets / RSVP
    Fri (3/18) - Dallas, TX @ Granada… Tickets / RSVP
    Sat (3/19) - Houston, TX @ Numbers… Tickets / RSVP
    Tue (3/22) - New Orleans, LA @ The Republic… Tickets / RSVP
    Wed (3/23) - Pensacola, FL, @ Vinyl Music Hall… Tickets / RSVP
    Thu (3/24) - Jacksonville, FL @ Freebird Live… Tickets / RSVP
    Fri (3/25) - St. Petersburg, FL @ State Theatre… Tickets / RSVP
    Sat (3/26) - Orlando, FL @ Firestone… Tickets / RSVP
    Sun (3/27) - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Culture Room… Tickets / RSVP
    Tue (3/29) - Asheville, NC @ Orange Peel… Tickets / RSVP
    Wed (3/30) - Norfolk, VA @ NorVa… Tickets / RSVP
    Thu (3/31) - Richmond, VA @ National… Tickets / RSVP
    Fri (4/1) - Falls Church, VA @ State Theater… Tickets / RSVP
    Sat (4/2) - New York, NY @ Highline… Tickets / RSVP
    Sun (4/3) - Baltimore, MD @ Bourbon Street… Tickets / RSVP
    Tue (4/5) - Buffalo, NY @ Town Ballroom… Tickets TBA / RSVP
    Wed (4/6) - Pittsburgh, PA @ Diesel… Tickets / RSVP
    Thu (4/7) - Albany, NY @ Northern Lights… Tickets TBA / RSVP
    Fri (4/8) - Akron, OH @ Musica… Tickets / RSVP
    Sat (4/9) - Detroit, MI @ The Royal Oak… Tickets / RSVP
    Sun (4/10) - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's… Tickets TBA / RSVP

18. BlueSpeedway

On his last tour I noticed he had a date listed at a festival in Canada the day after one in Europe! And this was in the middle of a tour IIRC. I was like, :eek: how does he do that?!

19. BlueSpeedway

If anyone wants more Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, Tones on Tail reissues/box sets there's a requests/comments thread to add to requests for more Bauhaus related stuff there already, here on the Beggars Banquet archive blog:

http://archive.beggars.com/articles/125/back-in-stock#comment

You don't have to register.

20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Funny he's playing at the State Theatre in Falls Church, Va.
    I used to see movies there when I lived in Falls Church as a kid in the mid-60's. :D

21. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Pete has a new album out in June called "Ninth"..

22. serge

serge Forum Resident

his set list last night at the state theatre was nothing to do with the one listed above.. not half as great..... having said that peter sounds absolutely amazing..

23. BlueSpeedway

I bought Peter's new song "I Spit Roses" off iTunes and it's a real grower, straight rock but with an odd sort of twist, nice.

24. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I finally picked up Tones on Tail - Everything yesterday.

I had heard a few songs from them before, but had always assumed (before I just read the liner notes) that ToT had the exact same lineup as Lve & Rockets. Given the gap between the disintegration of Bauhaus (1983, right?) and the first L & R album (1985) I'm wondering what David J was up to during this period (1984). Anybody know?

The essay notes that Ash and Campling split over creative differences (semi-acrimonously).

When it comes to the birth of L & R, was it as simple as Danny ringing up David J on the phone? I ask because ToT seems to be based on a very different creative vision than that of either Bauhaus or L&R.

Finally, here's a line from the essay in the ToT booklet that I particularly liked:

"Fueled on a steady diet of hash and McDonald's Big Macs, this musical offshoot became the psychedelic and lighthearted antithesis of Bauhaus doom and gloom reputation."

25. rdnzl88

rdnzl88 Forum Resident