From Technics to Rega

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Timbo21, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

l thought I would post my findings switching from a Technics SL1200G to a Rega RP10.

Invariably when people get a new turntable they get a new cart and then it's hard to know how A, directly compares with B, especially since many Rega owners buy with Rega cartridges pre-installed. I have bought a new cartridge, but initially I have installed the original.

BACKGROUND
    Just over a year ago I bought a shiny Technics SL1200G, but unfortunately the platter suffered from unevenness. I wasn’t satisfied, and after many months of toing and froing with Technics I am returning it to the retailer for a refund.

CONSIDERATIONS
    The main alternatives I was considering were a VPI Prime, Michell Gyro SE, and some kind of Rega: Planar 8/10, or RP10. VPI Prime is better value to US customers, as Rega is to the UK. I am in the UK. A couple of ex-display Primes were around, but still a fair chunk more than I payed for the Technics. GyroSE seemed nice, but I felt I would soon be hankering for an SME tonearm.

A DECISION
    I decided I wanted to try a Rega RP10. I hoped I could get a good price for this outgoing model. Soon after hearing the news that Technics weren’t replacing the platter I found a NOS RP10 for a great price, plus they were offering an additional 10% off if paired with a cartridge or phono stage. So I bundled it with a Benz Micro Wood L. The Benz was awaiting stock, so the retailer enquired whether I wanted to wait or choose another. I ventured how much more for a Dynavector XX2 Mkii? I was told it was in stock and no extra cost! So, happy days :).

DEPARTURE
    As I packed up the Technics I just couldn’t help but feel sad to see it go. How can you fail to be impressed by that tank-like build quality. Then the Rega arrived. I was slightly perturbed by the hole in the side of the box, but hopefully all was ok.

ARRIVAL
    I must say it felt a bit like I was unpacking a toy. The sheer lightness of the thing felt strange when I’m so used to back-breaking heaviness. Then I came across the power supply. That was heavy, and surprisingly large. The platter was reassuringly weighty. Once assembled I had a look, eye level, at the platter. I couldn’t tell that it was moving, perfectly flat. That surely is a pre-requisite for a premium turntable, or even any turntable. Thankfully, Rega appear to think so.

SPEED
    I had measured my outgoing SL1200G with RPM’s app. It measured at 33.32rpm, with wow/flutter averaging on 20%. With 45rpm it measured 44.98rpm, and a wow\flutter of about 17%.

I obviously heard that Regas run fast. I measured the RP10 and it was showing 33.66rpm, about 1% too fast. With the PSU I adjusted it down to 33.32rpm, same as the Technics. Interestingly the wow/flutter was better than the Technics at 14%. 45rpm was still a tad fast at 45.13rpm, but negligibly, and a wow/flutter of 13%.

SETUP/SOUND
    I added the same cart I had been using with the Technics, a Shure V15, type IV with Jico SAS stylus, and replaced the Rega felt mat with my previous 3mm cork. The Shure cart is a couple of mm taller than the Regas, so I added a 2mm Acoustic Signature shim. I also used a digital scale to match the stylus force. I first off played a rather good dance track from the 90’s. The bass sounded a bit woolly and the mid-range somewhat recessed/veiled. I then spun the first tracks from The Who’s latest. Roger Daltrey was a bit muted, as if he had a cold. I then went back and put in the 3mm shim. That did the trick. The bass was now defined and punchy and the midrange opened up. Roger D was cured of his winter virus.

The Rega compared to the Technics offered considerably more texture and resolution. The PRAT factor was definitely good. Everything was just bouncing along with more ease and fluidity. Some Led Zeppelin Classic Records masterings I have suffered from glare and congestion in the midrange with the Technics. The Rega got rid of all that. I can follow Robert Plant’s lyrics much easier now. There is a much more pleasing tone to the midrange in general. Crash cymbals were sweeter, and ride cymbals really sat out and seemed to give the soundstage more height. The whole mix sounded more cohesive, which just makes it more musical. Most classical albums I have are hi res files. The soundstage really made me want to procure some classical LP’s. I think the width and depth are similar to each deck, but the Rega has more height, and the bass better timing and slam. The Rega just sounds more refined overall.

FINALLY
    I’m going to keep the Shure on for a couple of weeks before I move over to the XX2, but I am very impressed. I thought the wow/flutter would be worse on a belt drive turntable, but clearly not. This is my first belt drive having been a long time Technics SL1200 owner since the 90’s. The Rega definitely feels more ‘delicate’ compared to the 1200’s, but still great build quality. The XX2 will be my first MC cartridge too, and that should be quite a step up again. :righton:

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Congrats on finding your nirvana!

Timbo21 likes this.
  3. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Enjoy your RP10, it's good you have found a table you are happy with and can enjoy

Timbo21 likes this.
  4. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

From a P6 Ania/fono NEO owner congrats on a very nice upgrade. You're going to find many new album in your collection, I know I did.

jheyesen and Timbo21 like this.
  5. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

That Dyna is really going to change things!

WapatoWolf likes this.
  6. Timbo21

Yes, looking forward to that :). That will be a level I've not previously experienced

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Congrats the RP10 is definitely an awesome looking deck. I highly doubt your speed findings though as that makes absolutely no sense to me.

We gotta see some pictures please.

8. Timbo21

Yes, it does seem too fast even for Rega's standards.

I made sure I checked the Technics with the same app/phone/position on platter. It runs the same speed as the Technics now, in any case.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Measuring speed accurately at home can be difficult. The phone apps are entirely dependent on how they are made, not to mention the accuracy of one's gyroscope inside the phone and where and how you place it on the turntable.

Most of the test records being made today aren't well made enough to be checking w/f either. You are at the mercy of the pressing plant not to mention the lathe the record was cut on.

If OP got a bad platter that could certainly throw things off a little, especially if a test LP is being used.

McLover and macster like this.
  10. Timbo21

Rega suggest leaving the platter running throughout a listening session.

I'm not sure I feel comfortable whipping the disc off whilst it's rotating. If I was using their felt mat, probably less so

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  11. Timbo21

In absolute terms I don't trust the app, which is why I went by the Technics reading who are known for their speed accuracy. I repeated on different days, same position, phone etc. and got the same readings, so I felt okay to set the RP10 to the results I got from the Technics. But of course if the Technics was off due to the platter... I have couple of SL1210 MK2's, I'll see what they show.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

On my LGV40, I was able to achieve results close to the factory spec of my main deck, but only after positioning the phone very carefully using a bowl over the spindle. If it wasn't close to exactly centered, results were off, way off. That's the Achilles heel of these apps.

Andrea_Bellucci and Timbo21 like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

RP10 is basically end-game for me. Great turntable.

bluesaddict and Timbo21 like this.
  14. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Timbo, what phono stage do you have?

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah - but unless I misunderstood - didn't the new Technics group use virgin Japanese monks to position the dots on the platters forged from Mount Zion? I thought I read that in the marketing materials...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    JohnCarter17 and Lebowski like this.
  16. Timbo21

It's a Project RS. At some point I can get an add-on power supply to bump the performance

17. Timbo21

:laugh:. Unfortunately it turned out that they'd been drinking their home brew saki whilst on the job ;)

WvL, JohnCarter17 and rebellovw like this.
  18. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Great phono stage. :righton:

Timbo21 likes this.
  19. Timbo21

Yes, I'm very happy with it. Very versatile. Nice having the balanced outs so that I can have my turntable near my listening position and run into the balanced of my Pathos.

GyroSE likes this.
  20. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

That's up to you.

I have an Acoustic Signature Samba and only turn it on of the beginning of the session and turn it off at the end.

The "on the fly" swapping needs some practice, so I would advise you to start with less value records. :)

Great, I really like the look of the RP 10. It would be end-game for me.

Bye Andrea :wave:

Echoes Myron and Timbo21 like this.
  21. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

When I first started changing records with the platter running, I would lift the record straight up, just slightly, barely enough to clear the spindle. Then lift it away. The two motions grew into one after I became confident it wasn’t going to cause a mishap.

Timbo21 and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  22. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Have you tried spending time with the felt as its what Rega had in mind to be used.
    Should be a lot easier on the low torque Rega motors leaving it running.

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Glad you found a table that works for you.

Timbo21 likes this.
  24. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I use the OEM felt mat on my RP-8, and it's totally doable to leave the platter running. Grab the record and the mat...record comes right off the mat (unless there's a lot of static...which happens). Putting the new record on my first grabbing just the mat is just as simple. In either direction, the record never 'scuffs' on the mat.

Timbo21 likes this.
  25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I put a few pices of double sided tape under my felt mat. Problem solved.

I prefer to flip with the platter still spinning, but with many 180 gram records or LPs with a tighter spindle hole I stop it each side.

Andrea_Bellucci and Timbo21 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.