FURY--disappointing BR transfer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheHumungous, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHumungous

TheHumungous Active Member Thread Starter

I'm very disappointed in the Blu Ray transfer for Fury. I saw the movie in the theater and it looked more colorful and natural. I know its supposed to look bleak and grimy, and the clarity is great. But the BR is almost completely bluish, with weak greens. It's also very dark in the inside tank scenes, which are of course numerous. I have a good Sony BR player and a high end Panny plasma that looks spectacular with good sources.

Can't say how disappointing this is, as I loved the movie. The freaking thing has a BLUE tint throughout. Anyone else noticed this? This is not how it looked in the theater.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

That is very disappointing. I was looking forward to getting this on BD.

3. TheHumungous

Its still worth getting if you like the movie, but I just don't remember the movie being that "bluish" in the theater. I've read a few reviews that claim that is the way its supposed to look and highly rate the transfer, which was mastered in 4K. The clarity is vivid, but I still think it was overly blueish and a little dark.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hmm, I didn't notice anything amiss on the Blu-ray . . . But I didn't see this in the theater.

5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Thanks for the clarification- since I did not see it in the theater, it will probably be fine for me.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I did see it in the theater and on BD, and I didn't notice any notable changes in color grading... :shrug:

8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Y'all both (OP & @Oatsdad ) click on the screenshots in the link provided, then give us your impressions please...

10. TheHumungous

11. TheHumungous

My impressions are that the BR transfer is overly bluish, and dark, as opposed to how it looked in the theater.

12. Myke

But the 40 screenshots look like what's on your screen ?

13. Oatsdad

The look of the BD isn't being debated, so screenshots don't address the OP's concern. The OP feels the BD's colors differ from those used during the film's theatrical presentation.

I think the OP remembers wrong. Here's the trailer - it comes with the same teal look as the BD:

14. Myke

They do as far as I'm concerned, they're all I have to go by. If what he's seeing was different from those shots, then his TV may need adjusting.
    If YOU feel those shots didn't look like what you saw in the theater, then yes, the BD has an altered transfer. But from what you're saying now, they DO look like what you saw in the theater, and the OP is misremembering.
    For those of us that haven't seen this at all, we'd like to get to the truth, not several different interpretations.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You may not get to the truth at all in this case because at issue is a subjective recollection, which may or may be accurate, and even if it is, there could be a visual effect introduced by the particular theater projection setup (which differs with other theaters), etc. Too many possible variables at play.

The best bet would be to get a large sample of people that have seen both versions at different venues, with different equipment and make a statistical determination (or get an insider's take on what took place during the transfer).

16. Myke

I'd like to know, since I never saw it in the theater, which Blu ray of The French Connection is the closest to what was shown on the big screen in 1971. The washed out version, or the color restored ? Since Friedkin has approved both, it's pretty confusing.

17. TheHumungous

LMAO. I am not misremembering anything. Looking at small screen shots on my limited technology little computer screen won't tell me a damn thing, and certainly has nothing to do with the way my TV looks. I have a top of the line Panasonic Plasma TV that is adjusted properly and looks SPECTACULAR on good BR material, as well as anything HiDef. There is nothing wrong with my TV. Other Blu Rays look SPECTACULAR on it. This Blu Ray is extremely vivid, but has an overall bluish tint, far greater than it was displayed in the theater. The greens are muted more. On top of that, the interior tank scenes are darker, making shadow detail problematic in many scenes. This was all immediately apparant on putting the BR in and watching for 20 minutes. I am very picky, and I remember what I saw. Someone overdid the "we need to make this look drab, grimy and dark" idea when it was transferred. Its too blue.

18. Oatsdad

You're right that if the screenshots don't look like the picture the OP sees, the OP's TV may be off.

But that doesn't seem to be the issue. The OP stated the BD had a teal look - the OP felt the theatrical version didn't. Seeing screenshots with a teal look just reinforce the OP's opinion of the BD's image - they don't address concerns about possible changes from the theatrical release.

That's why I posted the trailer - that theoretically would depict the film as shown theatrically. It certainly wouldn't reflect "changes" made for home video.

Like I said, the screenshots match what I saw on the BD - and apparently what the OP saw on BD as well. The BD looks the way I remember the theatrical screening looking, but I don't claim to have a perfect memory for those things...

19. Oatsdad

Do you think it looks different than the trailer I posted?

20. TheHumungous

Wow. I already told you I am viewing the trailer on a small, not very advanced computer screen, not my beautiful properly adjusted big screen plasma Hidef TV. On top of that, the trailer is a lot of quick cutting and changing of scenes, and frankly its useless to compare to what I viewed in Blu Ray on my hi end TV. All I can tell you is that the Blu Ray looks more blue tinted, and a bit darker, especially re shadow detail, than what I saw in the theater. Your mileage my vary. But that is my impression.

21. Myke

Thanks Oats...I'm going with your viewpoint on this one. Now, any idea about The French Connection ?
    :laugh:

22. Oatsdad

Wow. You didn't discuss the trailer - you mentioned screenshots.

All I can tell you is that you think the color timing has changed - obviously others disagree, and we've used actual evidence 'n' stuff like the trailer to indicate that no changes occurred.

I guess you only wanted posts that agreed with you... :shrug:

23. Oatsdad

I never saw the 2009 "FC" Blu-ray. It slightly predated my entrance into the Blu-ray market, so I didn't get a copy from Fox, and I never got around to buying one myself. I've heard it's a disaster, though!

The remaster from 2012 is pretty nice, IMO:

http://www.dvdmg.com/frenchconnectionbr.shtml

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.