Future of Sound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike Campbell, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident Thread Starter

With SACDS, and remasters pouring forth at an incredible rate, and with audio technology also soaring, what are the opinions of my fellow audiophiles as to where things are headed...I'd be naïve to think that audio sound cannot get much better, at least in the near term. Can sound reproduction get much better...? I mean I sit here in my sound room, and its as if they are all in the room.... Thoughts?

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

We must keep making it louder! Louder! Louder!

As far as actual playback bitrate or sample rate or whatever is concerned, I'm sure more and more tape transfers will be done at higher resolutions... but it will also document the aging of the tape (provided we're talking about the classics). Speaking as someone who can't hear a difference between MP3 and hi-res FLAC (I'm here because there's a great community who loves music, please don't murder me!), I don't know if there really will be a significant push to further these advancements. That said there is definitely a market for it. I think the technology will evolve, but not at the rate it did over the past few years. I mean, how much better can some of this stuff sound?

As for actual mastering, I really hope dynamics make a triumphant return. I'd love to see brickwalled releases viewed in the same light as dynamic ones are today (by the public at large I mean - "wow, this sounds weird").

The Pinhead, scobb and Mike Campbell like this.
  3. Mike Campbell

and will there be a "large" market for much improved sound" over what there is now? We all know money drives things. Do the kids under 21 care about incredible sound, considering the fact that everything is down loaded? and ripped....The sound now pouring out of my 9 speakers is monumental. There will always be a market for those that want the best possible sound. Me being one of them...

4. InStepWithTheStars

I think there definitely will be a market for this stuff, but it will be a niche market. Probably moreso than it is now. I know significantly more about audio than I did two years ago thanks to this forum, and I still do strive for the best possible sound, but I think that most people on this board would start foaming at the mouth if they had to spend more than sixteen seconds listening to music on the gear that I have (terrible iPhone which folds everything down to mono, or stereo laptop speakers which sound even worse than the folded down phone). I still do strive for good sound... but that's more in terms of mastering, not gear. That also probably explains why I have higher tolerances toward EQ and compression than most here... but there is a line to be drawn.

Mike Campbell likes this.
  5. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Future is NOW ! Only problem possibility's not used but misused.

6. Mike Campbell

what?

SirMarc likes this.
  7. Hubert jan

What what ? I really dont get what you mean to say.
    Perhaps a little clearer: there is no future, what you got is now, today. Gear is good but not always used the right way, CD's today horrible. No CD from mid ninety's on worth of a good playback system, period, no discussion possible.

8. Mike Campbell

So, no hope, no future, no improvements, nothing to look forward in the world of sound improvement?

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

10. Mike Campbell

11. Hubert jan

No. I listen to recorded music since early fifties.
    Nothing changed, stereo a major setback in quality, surround, quadro, digital, streaming all snake oil, sounds for sounds sake. So at least I expect nothing in the future, perhaps only new good artists I can dig recorded in real High Fidelity.

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Did you read the article? How is that not cool future stuff?

13. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I also was there early in the stereo era and I absolutely disagree with you on this.

billnunan, ggjjr and Blank Frank like this.
  14. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Of course sound reproduction can get better, and it will - everything can be improved upon, including my wife's chicken parmigiana (fingers crossed).

billnunan, jtw and Alan G. like this.
  15. InStepWithTheStars

I disagree. I think there are some CDs with lots of care and attention applied. Not many, but they're out there. Bob Dylan's two most recent albums, Shadows In The Night and Fallen Angels, sound wonderful on CD. I believe they were mastered by Greg Calbi. There is plenty of space, they are the right volume level, and I can't detect any dynamic range compression at all. They sound beautiful. I have no proof, but I suspect that this is simply a digital transfer of the same master used for cutting the vinyl issues. Also, Vic Anesini has remastered the Kinks' Muswell Hillbillies and Everybody's In Showbiz on the Sony Legacy label and it doesn't sound like he used any EQ at all - it sounds like the tape being played straight back. Personally, I would have preferred a little bit of low end punch, but I can easily add that myself, whereas a poorly mastered CD I could not remove it.

I agree that most CDs from the early nineties onward tend to abuse EQ and compression and similar tools. However, to say that there are none at all and that there is no discussion to be had at all doesn't seem fair.

Rob Hume, ukrules and bhazen like this.
  16. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Sound will become obsolete. Music will stream directly into our brains.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  17. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

The thing that I am the most excited about is the ready availability of high resolution digital files via streaming.

billnunan likes this.
  18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm eager to hear music I love via MQA ... but it seems to be vaporware at the moment.

19. Mike Campbell

never had a chance last night....but will now

Pinknik likes this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

False.

Blank Frank and thegage like this.
  21. Vinyl Addict

My guess is it could be much like color TV. It was introduced and everyone thought it couldn't get any better. Yet, it still improves as time passes.
    I would assume audio would be along the same lines.

billnunan likes this.
  22. Mike Campbell

x
    I agree...but how?

23. Mike Campbell

False for sure

24. Vinyl Addict

Now that, I'm not sure of, but I'm sure it will improve. Though, some of the best sounding speakers/equipment is vintage. :shrug:

25. Mike Campbell

I wonder if anyone is tinkering with the next thing that will follow cds.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.