FYE stocks fewer CDs; Founder has plan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thesmellofvinyl, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member Thread Starter

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Anyone shop at these FYE stores?

There's one here in Torrance, Ca. that took over
    the old Tower Records location. I haven't been in
    the building since Tower went Bust. Is it worth checking
    out their CD invetory?

3. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

I never shop at the FYEs in my area. Their prices tend to be as high or higher than Tower's were. Not too long ago I saw the Metallica black album there with a price tag of 19.99 :crazy:. Their stores always seem like they're stocked by someone who knows nothing about music -a couple of the latest releases for an artist and then one or two of the shadiest, cheapest, so-called "hits" compilations they can get.

Any change for this chain would be a good one, IMO.

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

When it comes to malls, FYE seems to be the only show in town anymore if you're looking for music. Cookie cutter in every way, way overpriced, and usually not worth even bothering with. Occasionally, they have good deals on CD-R's, and that's about it.

I was surprised and disappointed that the record shop in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is a FYE, though they did have a more varied selection than your average mall location.

5. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member Thread Starter

Every once in a while that's a good thing. I've found some nuggets in the used sections. At one point they often offered used CDs at 30% off during weekends. Lately they've alternated between buy three get a fourth free and buy four and get 20% off.

6. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Their stores are crap period.Not shedding any tears if this chain goes under.:thumbsdn:

7. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

Not I. All of them tend to be in malls where I live, and as such, they overcharge for their cds. Like Sam Goody's or Camelot (anybody remember those) back in the day, they expect upwards of $20 for a new title. Sorry, but I'm just not down with paying that much just for the privilege of buying a cd at the mall. My younger sister, on the other hand... Well, let's just say that there is some truth about reaching your target demographic.

Unfortunately for FYE, that target demographic is either shrinking or getting hip to new options. (Methinks its that latter. ;) ) Don't get me wrong, I strongly support shopping at the brick and mortar stores when you can. And there still lots of options in that category--Borders (with Rewards coupons), B&N (with coupons), etc. Heck, given the lack of deep catalog titles at FYE stores, I'm almost tempted to say that theres not much there (short of Explicit Content discs) you couldn't get at Wal-Mart or Target for much cheaper.

Of all the chains to have closed in recent years, I really only mourn the passing of MediaPlay. They may not have had as much backstock as Tower, but they did have lots of interesting stuff and reasonable prices, as well as good sales.

I still say support your local independent store when you can. When you can't (because there are very few of these left, let's face it), try to support the brick and mortars who give you a good reason to go there (notice how much I used the word "coupons"). As for FYE, yeah, a change is in order...

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The Rock Hall store has a more varied selection than most CD shops I've been in, FYE or otherwise.

I think the Rock Hall store is run independent of the regular FYE stores. It actually used to be an HMV until FYE took over in 2000.

9. phish

phish Jack Your Body

no fye for me.

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i'd go there if they started selling records. i'll go anywhere records are sold.

11. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Well, I don't normally shop at FYE. However, I wanted to stop in the new FYE (which took over the old Tower location on Broad St in CenterCity Philadelphia). The Tower store was one of the best for selection, especially for SACD and DVD-A, and FYE claimed that they were going to try and maintain the standard set by that store.

Anyway, I finally had an opportunity to stop in 2 weeks ago. They don't come close to the Tower store that was in that space for so many years. However, I did manage to walk out of the store with a brand new copy of the MoFi SACD of "Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quartet" (only cost me $30) :)

Bill

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The FYE at the Rock Hall sells new vinyl. Last time I was there they had the Hoffman masterings of Fragile, Blue, and Roy Orbison All-Time GH.

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

All the FYE's should be doing that.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I shop at FYE stores on occasion, though I only look at used CDs. There's no point looking at the new stuff due to their high prices.

15. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I shop at FYE for USED CDs at least once a week. Once a month or so, I go to Buffalo to shop at the two FYE Superstores in town. I've had a lot of good finds over the past year and a half. I collect early pressings for the most part and have found some Target CDs.

16. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Yeah?? Man, I miss my Long Beach Tower. I'll have to drive over there and check it out. I go to the one (FYE). in Lakewood about twice a month. I almost always walk outta there with a few good grabs. Most recently I got Aerosmith Pump, Genesis Genesis, and Everclear's Sparkle And Fade. Nuthin' great but nuthin' to sneeze at either since they were all snapped up for 5 bucks or less. My motto is: ANY store that sells used CD's is worth checking out from time to time. Timing is everything and you never know what you'll find...

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

pretty soon they won't be carrying very many CD's, let alone vinyl.

renny

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Yeah, I miss the Long Beach Tower myself, it was a good 2-3 times bigger
    than the Torrance Tower :agree:
    If you need the location, it's @ corner of Sepulveda & Hawthorne

19. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

A friend and co-worker generously gave me a $25 FYE gift card recently, but I can't figure out how to get my money's worth from it. Every time I go in the store, everything is either at or above suggested retail. It's truly frustrating.

Trans World's business model has tanked for so long, and so many of its stores have closed, it's no wonder the stock is worth about the price of a used CD. There's no rhyme or reason behind the pricing or selection, and the staff often can't tell a customer about the music, the artists, even release dates or availability of product. Our FYE is one of only two or three left in this state, all in smaller cities with perhaps only Wal-Mart as a competitor. All the FYEs in the larger metros long ago vacated the malls there because they just couldn't make a go of it based on a (in my opinion) ridiculous business plan that has always relied on the casual, non-destination shopper who doesn't mind paying top dollar for an item that's considered a loss leader everywhere else. If one business model undervalues the cost of music, the other overvalues it to the consumer's detriment.

Isn't there a happy medium somewhere in which true music fans are served? Oh, I forgot -- those were the mom-and-pops that the big-box stores drove out of business with megacopies of the top 50 or so hit CDs at below-cost prices. Meanwhile, FYE, which could have pursued catering to those of us who love its core product, goes instead for the occasional buyer and winds up serving virtually no one.

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It's funny that you should mention that Hoffman Roy Orbison set, because I ALMOST bought that at the Rock Hall FYE a few months ago, but it was in the front row and seemed to get a lot of direct sunlight from the windows. That's the only real problem with that Rock Hall store is the direct sunlight that hits hard in certain areas of the room, throughout the day...oh, and parking. If they had cheap and close easy access parking, I would shop that store at least once a month, but unless your handicapped, it's a hike and costly!

As for thinking back on FYE's original moniker, CAMELOT RECORDS. I used to do radio promotional advertisements for them, at their North Canton, Ohio headquarters, in the mid to late '80's and before that, I worked in a few of their local store locations. For those that may not know, CAMELOT was started in the trunk of Paul David's car, near Massillon, Ohio. Paul worked really hard to build CAMELOT into the empire that it once was. Paul and his staff were all VERY smart businessmen and women and the company was sold for millions, (to Trans World, who changed the name to FYE), in my opinion, at JUST the right time, as they must have had the future sight of seeing CD sales starting to slip. Paul David has since passed on, but his wife and family are VERY gracious today, with many large amounts of financial donations, throughout N.E. Ohio. It's nice to know that you can start a business out of the trunk of your car, get rich, but still spread your wealth and goodness to others! CAMELOT, a place where I learned a lot about the business world and where I saw how a team of many employees, on many different levels, can work together and have a smooth running, money making, machine.

Chris C

21. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

I went in FYE earlier this week. I had my Circuit City ad with me and I asked the person working there if they did price matching. He said no. I was disappointed because I wanted to get the new Zeppelin DVD, but I wanted it for the CC ad's sale price, not the FYE price. Of course, I passed on it.

I purchased a couple of good CDs (I finally got Pete Townshend's Chinese Eyes - I only had it on vinyl all these years). I also noticed that they had several copies of Kissology Vol. 1 with the bonus disc. Those are getting really hard to find and are a lot of $$$ on ebay. For those interested, I think they were $29.99 at my FYE.

My biggest complaint is that this store is HUGE, yet when you go through the CDs they're all crammed together. I like to flip through them fast, but in my store it's a real struggle doing this. It seems like they could make better use of the space they have in these stores.

22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Coconuts is a FYE franchise here in PA where I was fortunate to find a treasure trove of used CDs. Most of my DCC golds and my Sinatra Larry Walsh masterings.

23. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Agreed. I've found MFSL and DCC's there.

24. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

I haven't had much luck with the used section at the FYE here. Its a really small sectionusually mostly full of alternative and hip-hop bands I never heard of and when they do have some CDs I'd consider buying used, they're priced almost as high as a new copy should be.

25. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The effort/reward ratio on the used racks at FYE is too high. I just go in and look for the DVD-Audio discs that sit higher than the regular CD's. Takes a few seconds..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.