Game of Thrones Season 4 thread (starts Sunday, April 13 2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marblesmike, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's about the right time for it actually. Joffrey's wedding comes not long after the Red Wedding in A Storm of Swords. But I do think the producers enjoyed surprising unspoiled viewers with something so big happening early in the season.

A couple of other storylines from last night, however, are now past book 3 altogether -- Bran's and Theon's.

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Great episode last night,glad the little Dbag is gone.

3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I haven't read the books but I think it was Sansa Stark who killed Joffrey.

4. I do too, possibly with an assist from "the King's Fool". I haven't read the books either, just to go on record on the million-to-one chance I'm right. Whatever, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

5. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

R. I. P. Joffrey

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Boy, are you guys gonna be surprised.

:D

7. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I may have to read the books and I like and usually only read non- fiction.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

One thing I find curious is that we don't really know what Jaime thinks of Joffrey, Tomen and Myrcella. I may have butchered those spellings, but I'm talking about Cersei's three kids to be clear. Surely Jaime knows they are all his, but the show at least has never given much of a hint of how he views them. Does he have the same affection for them that Cersei does?

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I was a bit disappointed in Theon's storyline in the series. In the book, Reek is introduced and it isn't until later that you realize that the crippled, filthy, pitiful creature is actually Theon. It really packed a punch. Now, it's obvious and seems a little less understandable how Theon could change so quickly. He was much more sympathetic in the book despite the things he'd done to the Starks.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes but he dare not show it. If it's revealed or suspected that they are not Robert's (the dead King) kids, what happens to Joffrey's claim to the throne?

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My advice is to wait until after the series is over.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's hard to do a twist like that on camera when you can see the actor. And it was pretty obvious Reek was Theon anyway.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sure, but I would think maybe in some scene with Tyrion or Tywin or someone who already knows, he might have commented somehow. I just wonder what he think of them. The way its presented on the show, its as if he is unaware, which seems impossible. Then again, it also seems to stretch believability that Robert Baratheon never figured out any of his blonde children weren't his.

14. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't know want to know the answer from anybody who's read the books, either. But it's fun to speculate based on the show itself. Certainly a lot of people had either a motive or just hatred of Joffrey:

Sansa
    Tyrion
    Margaery
    Lady Olenna (foreshadowing with her comments to Sansa about killing a man at a wedding?)
    Drunk Knight
    Oberin
    Tywin even?
    Ser Loras?
    The Boltons?

Plenty of others obviously had a hatred for Joffrey as well, including the three other remaining Stark children, though none of them were near the Wedding.

And who is to take the Throne now? If it's to be a "Baratheon" (quotes intended), is Tommen the next in line? Or since Margaery is now Queen, is she in charge?

And we haven't had a Littlefinger update this season yet, either.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

The farther away Littlefinger stays the happier I am. They sure picked the wrong actor for that role.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Tommen. They recast the role and spent quite a bit of time in the episode showing his reactions. I don't think the wives have any right to succession.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I haven't read the books either and have no idea who poisoned the wine, but was it meant for Joffrey or was he a fortuitous accident what with all the swapping of goblets that went on? I'm glad to see the back of him either way, just a shame the Stark girls didn't get to team up and kill him slowly.

18. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

It wasn't the wine, but the pie that killed him. Look at the scene when he cuts open the pie, you can see dead doves inside the pie. My guess is that his own mother killed him, and framed her brother for it.

19. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I just assumed the dead doves were due to Joffrey using a freaking sword to open the pie.

Gary and jriems like this.
  20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow...it seems those who didn't read the books are going to be rather surprised as to who poisoned Joffrey.

Gary likes this.
  21. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I thought the sword killed the doves ?

Pat

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

There was a long list of people who wanted to kill him....

Can't wait to find out who did it....

Tyrion would be too obvious....

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm not going to spoil it. But I will say I think the ultimate revelation is very satisfying, and well set-up by the show. Once you know the full answer, a second viewing of the episode takes on a new dimension.

Gary likes this.
  24. Well, obviously.

25. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Exactly. I went back and rewatched the last 25 minutes of the episode and all of the clues are indeed there. I saw an interview with either the director of the episode or someone else associated with it and he said that the actual poisoning CANNOT be seen in the episode but that the clues are all there and are visible if you know what to look for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.